Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many folks moved from a GW (1500 or 1800) to a Vic (CCT or Vision) and what was your reasoning? What are you liking about your Vic in comparison to your Wing? Are you happy with your decision or are you wishing you'd either stayed with the Wing or went with some other product?

I had an '03 Wing and it was done up nicely including the full Traxxion suspension. I was also a Double-Dark Sider and liked it. We pull a tent trailer 1 or 2 times a year as well. I liked the Wing for it's power, handling, and reliability. What I found though is for those short jaunts, 2 or 3 day weekend rides, etc which is most of our riding .... I was bored driving it. It was like driving a cage only with 2 wheels.

The Vic, on the other hand, .... not the power of the Wing but still as much as I need, handling is superb, very comfortable ... and it is FUN, FUN, FUN to drive! Not to mention that it looks like a motorcycle too!

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Just wondering how many folks moved from a GW (1500 or 1800) to a Vic (CCT or Vision) and what was your reasoning?
I did. :)
It was time for something new and different.

What are you liking about your Vic in comparison to your Wing?
- Seating position. I can stretch out on the XCT whereas I was kind of 'locked-in' to one position on the Wing (except for highwat pegs)
- Feels like I am more 'in' the bike as opposed to 'on' it.
- Much better cornering clearance (same corners, higher speeds, more room if needed)

Are you happy with your decision or are you wishing you'd either stayed with the Wing or went with some other product?
Extremely happy.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
- Seating position. I can stretch out on the XCT whereas I was kind of 'locked-in' to one position on the Wing (except for highwat pegs)
Agreed! although I was fairly used to that "upright" position that the Wing puts you into being that all my previous bikes except the '06 Venture were similar. I found that I had to have a backrest on the Vic as well as the '06 Venture otherwise I would find myself slouching and become uncomfortable, tailbone gets sore, arms would tire, etc... With the others and especially the Wing, I found I was forced to sit straighter which was much better posture.

- Feels like I am more 'in' the bike as opposed to 'on' it.
Yep!

- Much better cornering clearance (same corners, higher speeds, more room if needed)
Haven't pushed the Vic yet like I did the Wing but just experiencing lower speed cornering suggests it will be better on the higher speed ones. I was constantly scraping the pegs on the Wing.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Just wondering how many folks moved from a GW (1500 or 1800) to a Vic (CCT or Vision) and what was your reasoning?
I went from a Wing to a Ducati and after several others wound up on a XR. I just helped my buddy bleed the brakes on his Gold Wing. Can't use a mighty vac so I got to squeeze while he undid the nut over and over. There were nine different places to bleed that insane linked braking system, two of which required bleeding into a rag. All that and it doesn't even provide ABS? :confused:

Simplicity would be one good reason to switch...

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I went from a Wing to a Ducati and after several others wound up on a XR. I just helped my buddy bleed the brakes on his Gold Wing. Can't use a mighty vac so I got to squeeze while he undid the nut over and over. There were nine different places to bleed that insane linked braking system, two of which required bleeding into a rag. All that and it doesn't even provide ABS? :confused:

Simplicity would be one good reason to switch...
Not only that, but you have to bleed them in the correct ORDER, too. Lots of back-and-forth; I really did not enjoy bleeding those brakes.
:eek:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Not only that, but you have to bleed them in the correct ORDER, too. Lots of back-and-forth; I really did not enjoy bleeding those brakes.
:eek:
did you change your own air filter on your wing too? looked
like a real fun job.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you change your own air filter on your wing too? looked
like a real fun job.
Yep, I did and not only that, I had the entire front end off of my Wing. What a real PITA. They use different allen bolts at different places (some longer than others and having different sized "collars" and if ya don't pay SPECIAL ATTENTION to where they came out, it's a real PITA to figure out where they go. And then there are those danged plastic "push pins" that break so easily ... ggrrrrrrrrrrrr ... hated working on that bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess you could say I went from Wing to Vic. I still have my 1500 Wing and will probably keep it. Bought a Vision late last summer. Hardly ride the Wing any more. Can't say one is better than the other, they're just different rides.
I like the way the Vic corners betters. Wish it had the power of the Wing. Like the Vic seating better. I have floorboards on the Wing which lowers and puts my feet a bit farther forward but not near the room as the floorboards on the Vic. Can't beat the Wing for smoothness.
Tried an 1800 Wing and felt more cramped than on the 1500 so went back to the 1500.
Just different type rides.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No.
But, we have a Wing, and a Victory.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't beat the Wing for smoothness.
Agree on that! However, it's one of the reason's I changed. Wing is so smooth it's lost that "motorcycle" feel and sound. For a V-twin, the Vic is pretty smooth IMO but you still have that V-twin "thumping" and sound when you crack that throttle. It's almost "orgasmic" LOL

Just different type rides.
Yep, VERY different.

I never rode a 1500 Wing. Had an '83 Aspencade for 6 years ... really liked that bike. Before the Vic it was an '03 GL1800. Sooooo smooth and powerful. If I could have the power of the Honda 1800-6 in my Vic, I would call it PERFECTION.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've kinda been wanting to see a thread like this. Not because I'm interested in a Wing, but because, as an enthusiast, I always wonder how one bike designed to fill a certain role stacks up against its competitors. Seems the hardcore long-distance touring guys typically choose either a Wing or a H-D Ultra, and I'm curious as to how a CCT or a Vision Tour might fare against motorcycles with such loyal followings.

Looking forward to further comparisons wac

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've kinda been wanting to see a thread like this. Not because I'm interested in a Wing, but because, as an enthusiast, I always wonder how one bike designed to fill a certain role stacks up against its competitors. Seems the hardcore long-distance touring guys typically choose either a Wing or a H-D Ultra, and I'm curious as to how a CCT or a Vision Tour might fare against motorcycles with such loyal followings.

I'm not so sure about LD riders choosing an HD Ultra; however, you will find a lot of LD riders on a Yamaha Venture as both the 1st and 2nd generation designs are very well suited to that. Low maintenance, mostly bullet-proof engines/trannys, and good for high mileage. It's not uncommon to see these bikes hitting 150-200k miles with little to zero engine/tranny problems ... you will not find that on most HDs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Then you don't count ... :nanana: :ltr: :ride:

(just kiddin)
Huh. That's what my ex-wife has been telling me, for years.

:D

·
Registered
784 Posts

:ltr: Most "Hard Core" LD types ride neither a Wing or a Ultra. They flock to the BMW. All the stuff that seems to break on them, I wonder how much is hype. There are plenty that start with lots of extra parts though.

A Wing or Venture is a mile muncher, especially 2 up. I personally find the XCT much better suited for my comfort. I do not so far, find it reliable. I hope that is behind me now.

FYI, and you may already know this, a guy that goes by Rollin has logged a lot of IBA rides and a lot of really cool rides. Check in to his antics. He has done it on a Vision. He says because no one else has.

All of them have their strong and weak points. The Iron Butt Rally is coming this year. It will be interesting if any Vics are in the lineup. There will be just about all the Big 3, (BMW,Honda, HD) and probably plenty of Star and others represented.

Good concept on the thread though.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did... I took my wing, removed the fairing and windshield, fabricated a new headlight and seat pan... put a steel faux tank on from a 70's wing and made a bagger.... Then bought my V92TC.....

It was my second wing. Loved the bike, just got bored with it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was my second wing. Loved the bike, just got bored with it.
hmmmmmmmmm... I think you just uncovered my problem ... I got bored.

Seems if I'm can't "tinker" no more (basically done what I care to do to a scoot), I get bored and get a different one and start all over again.

I spent all last winter "pimping" my Wing and had only 2 or 3 rides on it before I traded it for the Vic. WTF was I thinking???

IMG_2411a.jpg IMG_2413a.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts