Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a Cross Country. Love the Midnight Cherry color and found a new 2010. Does anyone know of any changes to this model year to the current year?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the tranny is the biggest difference. I have a 2010 and the tranny is pretty loud. After 2010 they have helical cut gears that mesh quieter.

On the positve side every one says that the tranny is quite reliable and will last forever despite the noise. I ride in 5th gear as much as possible. 5th is 1:1 and very smooth/quiet.

I don't know of any other changes other than the ABS on the XCT.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Looking to purchase a Cross Country. Love the Midnight Cherry color and found a new 2010. Does anyone know of any changes to this model year to the current year?

2010(&2011) - No ABS on any Cross Bike vs. 2012 - ABS standard on all Cross Bikes
2010 - 2,500 mile oil change interval vs. 2012 (&2011) - 5,000 mile oil change interval

I think the tranny is the biggest difference. I have a 2010 and the tranny is pretty loud. After 2010 they have helical cut gears that mesh quieter.
Yes, what Bob C350 said.

I don't know of any other changes other than the ABS on the XCT.
Just to clarify, ABS comes standard for all 2012 Cross Bikes (not just the XCT).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2010 - 2,500 mile oil change interval vs. 2012 (&2011) - 5,000 mile oil change interval
CrossRoads, do you know why the oil change interval is different?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Apparently as the oil gets older, it gets harder and harder to find neutral on 2010 and older bikes. Since the 2011 brought the neutral assist feature, finding neutral is no longer an issue so the oil can be used for its entire life span of 5,000 miles. The misconception is that the differently cut of the gears do not break the oil as fast, but if you dig deep you will find the same answer - it's the neutral assist that solved the oil life issue. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Question; If you were me and found a great deal on a 2010, wouldyou buy that over a newer model year?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The transmission changed in 2011 and THAT is why the 2011 and newer models have the longer oil change periods.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks. Question; If you were me and found a great deal on a 2010, wouldyou buy that over a newer model year?
It depends on how good the deal is. As an example, many dealers are willing to offer discounts on 2011 models that may be equivalent. So a more accurate question might be "How MUCH of a discount would we want available in order to consider a 2010" and I would say that it would HAVE to be AT LEAST 20% off the $16,999 retail IMHO. Anywhere from 10-15% off a 2011 unless it is one of the rarer limited edition versions and in those cases, it's up to you and the dealer to find common ground.

PS - Midnight Cherry is no longer a current color so if you have you heart set on that color, shoot for that 20% off mark ($13,600) and let us know how you end up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It depends on how good the deal is. As an example, many dealers are willing to offer discounts on 2011 models that may be equivalent. So a more accurate question might be "How MUCH of a discount would we want available in order to consider a 2010" and I would say that it would HAVE to be AT LEAST 20% off retail IMHO. Anywhere from 10-15% off a 2011 unless it is one of the rarer limited edition versions and in those cases, it's up to you and the dealer to find common ground.
I getting a discount close to 20% off retail, and they are doing the 500 mile oil change and inspection as part of the deal.

Should I pull the trigger? :confused:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I getting a discount close to 20% off retail, and they are doing the 500 mile oil change and inspection as part of the deal.

This is a great deal, but only if you're happy with the bike. I suggest test riding it, and if you love it, go for it. This can pottentially be a bad deal if you buy it, ride it for a few months, and decide the gear noise is too much for you and you want a newer model. Then you end up spending more in the long run. Test ride both the 2010 and 2012(or 2011) and pay attention to the gear whine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would not hesitate. I have an 08 Vision and a 11 cross and even though there is a bit more noise in the 08, it shifts better than the 11.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Pricing appears "in line" so the rest is up to you. I agree that you need to ride both a '10 and a '12 model to compare (or even a '11 vs. a '10)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I test rode an 11 but I don't think a noisy shift is going to bother me as long as I know there isn't anything wrong with it.

Thanks for all the input. Just got off the the phone and made the deal. cheers I'm picking it up this coming Monday.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just to clarify, ABS comes standard for all 2012 Cross Bikes (not just the XCT).
Thanks for clarifying; I was second guessing myself after I post that about the XCT.

I’d buy mine again in a heartbeat but I got an incredible deal too. As for the tranny, yeah its kinda load but I drilled out my exhaust and I’ve put over 5,000 miles on it. It honestly does not bother me any longer (unless I think about it). I’ve heard others having problems with finding neutral but I have not experienced any of those issues.

I test rode an 11 but I don't think a noisy shift is going to bother me as long as I know there isn't anything wrong with it.
It's not the shifting that I feel is loud. It's sort of a whine, hmmm, rattle when it's in gear and rolling except for 5th gear. 6th is pretty good too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crossroads - thanks about the info about harder to find neutral in bikes older than 2010. i have an 08 Vegas and i thought it was just me! That makes me feel better, cause neutral is kinda hard to catch.

Yep, I am Tony's wife and his new bike is beautiful. We will be that cute matching couple riding down the road with our matching bikes in just a couple of months. Anyone going to bike week in March?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts