Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between these 2 models. Anyone out there have dealings with Indian motorcycles of Calgary? Good place to deal?? yes? No?
Looking for comments please
Thanks
Neil aka bcflyguy

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
The Vintage has a windshield, distressed leather bags and seat, and a 29-degree rake. The Chieftain has a full fairing, locking saddlebags, and a 25-degree rake.

Those who have ridden both say the Chieftain is easier to steer, but the Vintage was an enjoyable ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have ridden both multiple times. The Vintage is absolutely the most enjoyable and comfortable ride of any bike out there. I wish I had this fact figured out before I got my XC. Don't get me wrong, the XC is a good all around bike, but not in the same class as the Vintage. And now that I have probably spent much more on my XC including all add on accessories over the last year, the Vintage would have been a bargain.

·
13,003 Posts
WHAT? :confused:

Why wouldn't you to Indians web page and read about the two bikes and read there spec sheets.
You one of those lazy ass they don't want to get educated.
You want us to do it for you. Yes guys like you piss me off:mad:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have ridden both multiple times. The Vintage is absolutely the most enjoyable and comfortable ride of any bike out there. I wish I had this fact figured out before I got my XC. Don't get me wrong, the XC is a good all around bike, but not in the same class as the Vintage. And now that I have probably spent much more on my XC including all add on accessories over the last year, the Vintage would have been a bargain.
But the Vintage has no fairing and stereo. Wouldn't you be comparing the XC to the Chieftain? And a XR to the Vintage?

Why wouldn't you to Indians web page and read about the two bikes and read there spec sheets.
:ltr:

·
Registered
679 Posts
You are probably correct "Don't get me wrong, the XC is a good all around bike, but not in the same class as the Vintage".

It is way above it thumb up

·
Registered
212 Posts
But the Vintage has no fairing and stereo. Wouldn't you be comparing the XC to the Chieftain? And a XR to the Vintage?
Ah, but one of the Vintage models I tested, had the stereo add on with MP3 connect, as well as driver backrest, leather grips, pouches, etc. THAT is the version I would get.

Regarding Fairing, or lack thereof on the Vintage, I had as good of wind protection and comfortable cockpit with their stock shield setup, as I do on my XC with fairing and Madstad system.

So yes, I am directly comparing the Vintage to an XC for overall rider satisfaction.

I hate that fugly fairing on the Chieftain. But I do like the remote locking bags though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You are probably correct "Don't get me wrong, the XC is a good all around bike, but not in the same class as the Vintage".

It is way above it thumb up
Have you taken a Vintage on an extended highway ride?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I hate that fugly fairing on the Chieftain. But I do like the remote locking bags though.
I like it and planning to add a Chieftain to my stable this very summer! I also like the lockable bags, the TPMS and the adjustable windshield, and personally am not a fan of leather bags and spoked wheels, but luckily Indian built a bike for every taste.

There is also an aftermarket fender for the Cheiftain, made by DirtyBirdConcepts (http://www.dirtybirdconcepts.com/shop/item.aspx/tomahawk-series-bullet-fairing/179/), for $850.
DBC-707-1.jpg SI-707-4.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like it and planning to add a Chieftain to my stable this very summer! I also like the lockable bags, the TPMS and the adjustable windshield, and personally am not a fan of leather bags and spoked wheels, but luckily Indian built a bike for every taste.

There is also an aftermarket fender for the Cheiftain, made by DirtyBirdConcepts (http://www.dirtybirdconcepts.com/shop/item.aspx/tomahawk-series-bullet-fairing/179/), for $850.
View attachment 82650 View attachment 82658
Damn, I love your headlights, but i doubt your consideration of a new bike. (just butt ugly):rolleyes:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Kind of looks like war paint :ltr::ltr::ltr:
I'm not a fan of dirtybird's stuff, but I posted it since the fender subject came up. To me, the stock chieftain body is nothing but pure beauty. cheers

Damn, I love your headlights, but i doubt your consideration of a new bike. (just butt ugly):rolleyes:
Hah! Thanks. I'd rather you love my headlights than my taste in motorcycles. cheers

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do you really think that is good looking?? Have you had the opportunity (or disappointment) to ride one??. Sorry but if that is what we are left to ride in the polaris stable, ill try to grow longer legs and look to BMW

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

what .... forgot to take your nasty pills today? ;)

LOL !

cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Do you really think that is good looking?? Have you had the opportunity (or disappointment) to ride one??. Sorry but if that is what we are left to ride in the polaris stable, ill try to grow longer legs and look to BMW
Their new RT1200 had me too...until they sent out a "do not ride" bulletin to everyone who bought one.

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/article/bmw-issues-do-not-ride-notification-r-1200-rt

On the bright side, they are compensating their new owners for the hassle.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm not a fan of dirtybird's stuff, but I posted it since the fender subject came up. To me, the stock chieftain body is nothing but pure beauty. cheers

Hah! Thanks. I'd rather you love my headlights than my taste in motorcycles. cheers
Funny, they claim their design was based on an old train. Ducati designer Pierre Terblance also based his Superbike design on an old locomotive to horrific reviews:

photos_large_6.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Do not ride "or use your backrest/luggage rack"
I'm with ya. They all have issues from time to time. But telling the old lady to "hang on" and parking a brand spankin new $23k bike until they can fix and source and install 8000 new rear shocks is not quite equivalent.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sit testing all three Indians I thought for sure that I would get a Vintage if I decided to sell my XR. The Chieftain felt cramped but the Vintage felt roomy.

Then I took them both for a ride. 100% opposite impression. The Vintage has a 29 degree rake while the Chieftain's is 26 degree. The difference in handling is night and day. The feel of the Vintage front end is appreciably heavier and it has a noticeable flop. Even with the fork mounted fairing the Chieftain's handling at low speed and highway speed is 1000x's better. I wasn't able to open it up in any twisties but it handled the u-turn better than my XR buy a long shot.

Whether you think something is ugly or not is a personal choice. When it first came out I really didn't like the Chieftain fairing (I would much rather have a batwing style) but at least they can't claim that it's a "Harley clone"thumb up) but now it's growing on me. I can understand why people wouldn't buy on due to the looks though. Then again it would be an awfully boring world if we all liked the same thing anyway cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts