Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly good idea some level of upgraded air filter and a muffler or full exhaust, and either a flash or tuner makes up a textbook stage 1.. So what's stage 2, then 3, to Stage n?

I imagine at some point a larger bore or stroke or both you be in there somewhere as an upper stage of some kind. Or even forced induction super or turbo charging etc.

I'm doing VM1 cams, Lloydz x bike filter, adj timing wheel, PCV and dyno tune. What "stage" would that be, for example.

Granted I imagine there's some blurring with some combination of what is or isn't installed with a particular build.

Just wanted a quick Q&A on the Victory performance upgrade stages. Thought it'd be interesting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
263 Posts
it does get confusing bsb, stage one is a dealer term with pipe, filter and tuner, all else is just an upgrade, owning harleys for years they had their own dealer stages, but from vic all you get is stage one as far as i know... throw money at em and they will call it anything you want. hell you can make up your own stage...and if you ride a vision, you can call it stage coach, that was lame...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have a fairly good idea some level of upgraded air filter and a muffler or full exhaust, and either a flash or tuner makes up a textbook stage 1.. So what's stage 2, then 3, to Stage n?

I imagine at some point a larger bore or stroke or both you be in there somewhere as an upper stage of some kind. Or even forced induction super or turbo charging etc.

I'm doing VM1 cams, Lloydz x bike filter, adj timing wheel, PCV and dyno tune. What "stage" would that be, for example.

Granted I imagine there's some blurring with some combination of what is or isn't installed with a particular build.

Just wanted a quick Q&A on the Victory performance upgrade stages. Thought it'd be interesting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
It's all Harley terminology that's been dragged over. You won't hear people who upgrade their other makes/models refer to it like that.

Anyway, from what I've read, Stage 1 is pipes/filter, Stage 2 is cams. Stage X is some combo of porting/polishing intakes, boring head diameters etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cant we start are own... every new piece(Part) a stage..:ltr:

some would be on Stage 15+...........cheers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Cant we start are own... every new piece(Part) a stage..:ltr:

some would be on Stage 15+...........cheers
I like that. In fact, we should probably start higher as well. A Lloyds Air filter on a Victory should probably be called a stage 4 as it makes more than that with that simple $135 mod... :ltr: Change Pipes and that gives you a Stage 5. Add a tuner and you are at stage 6. Do the cams and you can get to an impossible (for Harleys) 125HP/127TQ so that would make a Harley un-obtainable Stage 7! thumb up

·
Registered
59 Posts
The "Good Idea" fairy has wacked you on the back of the head Hemidan! Hmmm... What shall we call it? V1 Mod.- pipes, air filter! V2 Mod.- timing wheel/cams, PC/tuner! V3 Mod.- Big Bore kit + all of the above?

Just throwing it out there folks! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
People who are serious about performance know that any 'stages' of bullshit won't get the job done.

Harley offers 'stages' thru their Screamin' Eagle catalog. You can get these done at the dealer and they are warrantied. However, almost any aftermarket package will outperform the HD stuff.

Stage 1: pipes/airbox/tuner
Stage 2: the above + cams
Stage 3: all the above + big bore or stroker
Stage 4: all the above + heads/throttle body/injectors

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
People who are serious about performance know that any 'stages' of bullshit won't get the job done.
I'm growing more and more to appreciate cutting through the smoke to the real point. cheers

Harley offers 'stages' thru their Screamin' Eagle catalog. You can get these done at the dealer and they are warrantied. However, almost any aftermarket package will outperform the HD stuff.

Stage 1: pipes/airbox/tuner
Stage 2: the above + cams
Stage 3: all the above + big bore or stroker
Stage 4: all the above + heads/throttle body/injectors
Yeah these sound pretty much parallel or in line with my early days drooling through the H-D catalog at their performance section.. LOL I said Harley and performance in the same sentence. bwahahaha

Though I knew even as a newb then, the best way to boost a Harley motor is to swap it with a big inch stroked S&S with great heads, strapped to upgraded barnett clutch with a Baker 6-speed tranny.

Which is sad, huh. To make a Harley run, you pretty much replace all the Harley drive-train with something else. But that's another bashing thread. :ltr: I do try to avoid that, ya know.

This is the way I always understood it .. Keep it Simple ..
Yep.. Same here. I bet a bunch of guys would be surprised that something as awesome as cams, wheel, intake, pipes, tuner and dyno tune would still only be a Stage 2 by this scale. Works for me.. Stage 2 me all day long. thumb up

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I like the idea of every improvement being a stage. That makes my stock engine with the ATS a stage 1.
When I owned an HD I got the stage 1 air cleaner which really cooled off my right ankle. On an HD your right ankle more or less leans against the air cleaner and the stock one was just to tight to the engine and go very hot. The "stage 1" air cleaner was somewhat taller and had better air flow so it did not get as hot. I never saw any performance improvement but it sure cooled down my ankle.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I view performance "stages" an marketing talk for vendors selling bundles of parts...
Takes the thinkin' part out of the equation (for the end user) and mitigates lack of knowledge (of the end user) by providing a generalized recipe and a stepwise approach....

I think the previous posts lacks reference to "Stage 0", which is making sure your existing, stock sh#@ is in excellent working order and provides a sound baseline before mucking around with upgrades that narrow the margin of safety in some operating parameters. My rough cut at Vic Stage 0 would probably be- oil, wires, plugs, throttle body cleaning, calibrate all control cables and replace filters. THEN contemplate a mix or sequence of enhancements.

I first ran into 'stages' during a short period when I owned a Mitsu VR4. Many of The Japanese-car-inclined youngsters, short on cash, would (after the louder fart-can exhaust, of course) forego the basics and rush straight to fuel or boost controller, larger turbo etc result *boom*.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like the idea of every improvement being a stage. That makes my stock engine with the ATS a stage 1.
When I owned an HD I got the stage 1 air cleaner which really cooled off my right ankle. On an HD your right ankle more or less leans against the air cleaner and the stock one was just to tight to the engine and go very hot. The "stage 1" air cleaner was somewhat taller and had better air flow so it did not get as hot. I never saw any performance improvement but it sure cooled down my ankle.
Oldman, damn funny! Damn funny. So with an HD a stage one gets your right ankle cooler. A stage 2 must be an upgrade on the handle bar grips to super injected foam so you don't get carpal tunnel from the inordinate vibrations. A stage 3 HD upgrade is a membership to AAA towing so when you brake down you don't have to wait so long for a tow. A stage 4 must be where they exchange your HD for a Japanese bike. A stage 5 is where you can still ride you Japanese bike to a Harley cult event and of course the last stage or stage 6 is where you can ride your stage 4 Japanese bike to a Harley event and still wear Harley paraphernalia.:ride:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oldman, damn funny! Damn funny. So with an HD a stage one gets your right ankle cooler. A stage 2 must be an upgrade on the handle bar grips to super injected foam so you don't get carpal tunnel from the inordinate vibrations. A stage 3 HD upgrade is a membership to AAA towing so when you brake down you don't have to wait so long for a tow. A stage 4 must be where they exchange your HD for a Japanese bike. A stage 5 is where you can still ride you Japanese bike to a Harley cult event and of course the last stage or stage 6 is where you can ride your stage 4 Japanese bike to a Harley event and still wear Harley paraphernalia.:ride:
:ltr:.................thumb up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts