Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang I have an 2013 XCT that I would like to see if there is a different windshield design for this. I do not like that vent at the center lower part of the current one. I am not sure why they designed it like that ( perhaps somebody can enlighten me) but I do not like the wind, rain, bugs and crap hitting the top of my forehead. I am convinced that is the source of my neck pain when traveling at 60+ for extended periods of time.
Jim

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The vent allows air into the pocket created by the windshield. It reduces the vacuum effect created by the windshield, and reduces buffeting by allowing the incoming air to ride up along the inside of the windshield. If you were to block that off, you would have a lot more turbulent air and that could cause a great deal of head buffeting. My GoldWing didn't have a vent and it buffeted wildly (I was just used to it until I rode an XCT lol)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The vent helps to defog the windshield too.
Maybe...but not very well. LOL I have shortened my windshield several times because of fogging and not having the ability to look over or around the shield. Not that great at defogging. :)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if someone who bought the Cee Bailey could chime in. I have a honda vtx with a Memphis shades tall windshield and it doesn't bother me nearly as bad. For arguments sake i normally have my windshield so I can just look over the top( the honda) but the Vic i mad looking THROUGH the windshield. Thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Maybe...but not very well. LOL I have shortened my windshield several times because of fogging and not having the ability to look over or around the shield. Not that great at defogging. :)
I agree it sucks at defogging, but sometimes you can get a little sliver you can see through. lol

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the Cee Baileys with the fill in bottom and the vent. I have had mine fog up and the open vent at the bottom doesn't prevent that. Plus my windshield i look through it not over it as. Is the normal practice.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I bought and loved two Cee Baileys windshields for my two HDs. They were a massive improvement over the stock shields. With that said, my Vision shield is performing very well and I have not even been tempted to replace it. I suspect, based on my HD experiences, that a Cee Baileys bought using their fitment guidance would help, but I have never tried it on a Victory.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok day 3 at the outerbanks. Down here every morning the humidity is high and the windshield fogs up pretty good. That opening in the bottom doesn't do jack **** and the hight if the windshield is too tall to look over it. And riding into the sun with a fogged tall windshield sucked. So that makes me decide I will go with a lower Cee baileys with a vent in the front and get rid of the opening.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The opening isn't really for defogging although it may help at times; it's for reducing buffeting.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm well I am not sure why they even have it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't care for the OEM XCT windshield and I agree with Pjokerwinski to tall. I like to raise up and see over the windshield sometimes like when it's raining or fogged up. The other thing I didn't like about the XCT windshield was the small stones and bugs come in under the windshield and hitting me in the face and a few times in a eye even with safety glasses and a sun shield on. I replaced mine with a CC 15 inch windshield it still has the hole in the center but not the gape all the way across the bottom. Still have some things come though but not as bad. The place I bought the CC windshield from said it would not fit a XCT. Because of the six bolts and CC uses 4. I remove the metal bracket that spaces the OEM shield out and adapts it to the six bolts. This left the four bolt holes just like the CC and the CC shield bolted right up using four of the six bolts from the XCT shield.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I swapped my XCT windshield with a 4" shorter Cee Baileys without the cutout.

On the stock shield I couldn't see much at all if it rained at night. Scary. I don't like riding in rain at night, but it happens.

On the stock shield I couldn't see much at all if it hailed. I live in Colorado. I don't like riding in hail, but it happens.

On the stock shield I couldn't see much at all if it snowed. I live in Colorado. I don't like riding in snow, but it happens.

I have to be able to see over the windshield, so I bought the Cee Baileys. Great product, but you expect that from guys that make aircraft windshields. My only complaint is the edge of the windshield is pretty thick, so you notice it. Other than that, great optics.

I like not having the cutout. I hate cleaning bug juice from the INSIDE of the windshield. My co-pilot doesn't like the wind/weather from the shorter windshield.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried CeeBailey windsheild and found they scratched way to easy . I tried the Madstad windsheild with the madstad bracket. Best windshield ive ever used.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
From demo rides -- and just sitting on the bike, at shows or a dealer, for that matter -- I knew that I'd look through, not over, the stock XCT shield. Since I don't like to do that, I had the dealer replace the stock XCT shield and brackets with the KlockWerks Flare (not to be confused with the Victory Flip) as part of his out-of-the-crate set-up work. (In the crate from the factory, no windshield is installed.)

I sold the XCT shield and brackets, and used the KW Flare for a year. I liked it a lot, and I think it looks good.

However, my riding buddy is much taller, and switching bikes, he got a lot of buffeting. OTOH, if you're much shorter, if you ever have to look through the upper part of the Flare, with its curved lip, you'll get a headache.

Bottom line, IMHO: the Flare is very dependent on your height / torso length.

Second year, I sold the Flare, and bought an 11" Madstad shield and brackets. Very good system. In normal use, about the same for me as the Flare, but has the added ability to adjust, for slightly less or more air. So, for my height, IHMO, a better system... if not quite as nice to look at as the Flare.

So what height are we talking here? And average torso for height? I'm 5'9", BTW, with a 30" inseam (which I think is about average for my height).

Your choices for windshields are Vic, MadStad, Gustafsson, Clearview, Cee Bailey’s, and 7Jurock. I don't think I'm forgetting anyone, but I may be.

Incidentally, on its home page Madstad has a link to a PDF document that shows an airflow diagram of a no-bottom-hole and its holed windshield. After putting the Madstad on, I spent the first long ride in the rain verifying that airflow with my left hand. I verified the water coming in underneath would scoot right up the inside and join the water arcing up from the top of the front. (You can do the same thing when it's not raining, but it was easier this way.) The point here is that their airflow diagram is for real, and it works.

On a similar note, for my prior Burgman 650, I bought a Clearview shield. And I bought it with Clearview's optional open/close vent installed. That is, as others have mentioned here, you want some sort of opening to eliminate back-pressure -- those openings are not (or at least not mostly) for an additional breeze (especially not on the Burgman, as it had an electric windshield, and you could just lower it at will, just like the Vision or the Chieftain, for instance).

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 4th windshield was the Madstad and I would never go to something different now. I didn't care for the look of the Madstad but finally went for function. Ironically it has more space for the wind to get on the backside and that's why it works. It eliminates the low pressure area behind the windshield. I went with the smoke, Roadking style and it suits the XC.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at the madstad windshield and I am not crazy about the way it looks.mlooks like someone. Just bent a piece of plastic into a curve. Sure it may be functional but I like it to look good too. I don't know about anyone else but I sure as hell can't afford trying 2,3,4 windshields . My wife would shoot me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
OK, not sure about all the comments re: the OEM windshield being "too tall" to see over. Unless they changed prior to the 2014 I picked up early Sept., I had no problem looking over the top. While the vent did it's job in regard to equalizing the pressure in order to reduce the 'bobble effect', it was so low (and at 5' 10" I'm no Andre the Giant) I was still getting enough direct wind to the face to almost blow my sunglasses of at super-slab speeds. Installed the Klock Werks 'Flair' which is 3" taller and while I can still see over it, problem solved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts