Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Friends and Neighbors. Today, while riding home, I noticed that my display would change every time I shifted. Every shift up, and shift down, it would change to a different mode. Rotating from ODO to Trip 1, to Trip 1, etc. AND, it would occasionally reset the timer back to 00:00:00, AND reset the Trip 1/2 modes, as well!! WTH???

At first, I thought it might be from my forefinger bumping up against the mode button, as I usually hold the grips at the very inside. So, I made it a point to keep my hand at the far end of the grip, just to test that theory. Nope. Still did it at every shift.

Now, I did notice something similar several weeks ago on my trip back from Vegas, but only noticed it after stopping for fuel a couple of times, and thought maybe the battery cables were loose. So, I recently replaced the flat washers with star ones, confident that would fix the problem. I had not had the opportunity to ride since then, as work and an illness kept me off the bike. So today, I finally had a chance to ride it to work, having completely forgotten about the problem.

But nope, it's still happening. And everything else electrical works just fine.

Any words of wisdom before I take it to the dealer to let them have a look?

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Is clutch lever touching button when pulled?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply, NOEMTZ. You may be on to something, as I did adjust the lever upward while in Vegas. I never even considered that when adjusting it. I'll check it out first thing in the morning and let you know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This is absolutely from the clutch lever touching the mode button. A quick gear change just changes the mode. If your mode happens to be a resettable one when you pull up to an extended stop, then holding in the clutch lever resets that mode (e.g. trip odometer). Adjusting the rotational angle of the clutch lever and perch causes this. There are two things you can do to remedy this while maintaining the current clutch perch rotational angle. First, when tightening the clutch lever perch bolts, make sure the perch is VERY tightly held to the switchbox housing. I actually used a plastic wood working clamp to press he perch against the switch box housing before tightening the bolts. Second, get a sharp knife and carve off a few slivers of plastic from the part of the mode button that extends outboard and forward. Then smooth these cuts with a file or Dremel. It won't take much carving to remove a few slivers. I did this with a pocketknife while on a trip once.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what the problem was. Following Vinish' advice, I only had to trim a very small portion off of the tip of the button, and now it does not touch the button at all.

Thank you both for prompt replies. It saved me a very time consuming trip to the dealer.

Ya'll take care now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts