Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that the dash lights at night seem to be to bright. Is there a way to dim them down some like you can on a car? I checked the manual and couldn't find anything about this.
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, that settles that!! I was hoping that there was a way, maybe some smoked plastic film thingies if there is such a thing. It bothered me on my last trip so I lightly stuck some duct tape to cut down the glare.

If that is my only complaint about the bike I can't b*^ch about it.:ltr:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sorry no one had a solution for you. As an old guy I like the bright dash at night... and I am guessing that cars passing will notice them too. Can't have too much light for me.:cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can't have too much light for me.:cool:
Dimming the light closest to you as much as you will allow your pupils in your eyes to dialate more which really helps your longer range vision. Very important at night. I've always dimmed the dash lights to where I can just read the instruments without straining to. I've got well over 2 million miles experience driving a semi-truck and I've only ever hit one deer at night and that one I could have never seen coming because of the circumstances. I wish there was some kind of a dim option also.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dash cluster is one big flat piece of plastic iirc. Take the inside black fairing out and the shiny bezels come off with it. You might be able to put some tinting over it. But then that means in sunlight it would be fairly hard to see as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Like 40XC stated dimming the closest light, that would be the one for the radio, that may help. I find that as a person ages the night visiion thing becomes more difficult. Hopefully I will find some of the cling tint that is not so dark as to make it hard to see the instruments in the daylight.

If I come upon a solution, I will post it in the event others have the same issue.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
There's gotta be a power wire going to the dash lights. I'm no electronics tech, but there are various potentiometers that should do the job and be mounted on the fairing. A solid state type wouldn't consume much current. Maybe someone with knowledge about these things can join in here.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Can LED's even be dimmed? Don't know - just asking.
Yes. Ask anyone that has installed Clearwater High Power LED lights on their bike or car. They come with a solid state controller for brightness. Ever notice an LED flashlight getting dim as the batteries poop out?

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
Can LED's even be dimmed? Don't know - just asking.
A dimmer (slang for potentiometer) can be added to control the brightness. They're only a few bucks, and can be mounted so you would get an extra knob on the dash to turn around and vary the brightness.

Here are some visual examples of potentiometers:
unnamed.jpg 14957.jpg
Make-Potentiometer-Knob.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Reviving another old thread here as I'm wondering the same thing: can the dash lights on the CC or CCT be dimmed.

At night, the light reflection from the dash lights puts too much light onto the inside of the CCT windshield thereby greatly reducing forward vision and clarity. Simply placing my hand between the dash lights and the inside of the windshield greatly reduces the reflection and increases forward vision clarity.

Last night I thought even a strip of black plastic taped or somehow adhered to the bottom of the dash lip would work great. A more permanent and better soltion would be to attach something to the two screws under the top of the dash lip.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Still no resolution?? I'd be interested in adding this capability too.

Does anyone have a detailed wiring diagram for the (preferably 2011) Cross Country instrument panel that shows the circuit for speedometer and tachometer illumination including the LED's? Since no mention of bulbs in the owners manual I assume they are LED's. I wonder if they are integrated into the panel or they can be replaced with another color LED.

Tech23

·
13,177 Posts
I don't know but if you have a chrome bezel gauge cover. Take some black tape and put it on the inside of the gauge rings and see if that stops the glare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts