Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far my Victory Motorcycle experience is a bust. As much as I defended the brand against the naysayers, they are now rejoicing with the " I told you so" theme. As the Chapter President of an International club with 6,500 members, I decided to go the other route. Most of my brothers are hard core Harlistas (Harley owners). I consider myself a trend setter and decided to be different. I purchased a beautiful 2014 Victory Cross Country. Since then I have had nothing but problems from day one. First ride from dealership to trailer, flat rear. Estimate for repair at local Georgia dealers, average was 5 days. Took it off myself and changed at local shop. Paperwork issues with dealer. Unable to get bike in for initial service in a reasonable time frame. At 1,300 miles bike has stopped running. Wont start. Estimated time before they even look at it, you guessed it, 5 days. The other local Victory dealers the same or worse. So I guess servicing for Victory bikes will be an issue. Regrets, many. Passed up a 2014 Street Glide for this bike. Meanwhile I have now become the butt of many jokes in the club. What gives. :mad:

Sincerly,
Edgardo Fuentes
Atlanta Chapter President of the
Latin American Motorcycle Association

:mad:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
So far my Victory Motorcycle experience is a bust. As much as I defended the brand against the naysayers, they are now rejoicing with the " I told you so" theme. As the Chapter President of an International club with 6,500 members, I decided to go the other route. Most of my brothers are hard core Harlistas (Harley owners). I consider myself a trend setter and decided to be different. I purchased a beautiful 2014 Victory Cross Country. Since then I have had nothing but problems from day one. First ride from dealership to trailer, flat rear. Estimate for repair at local Georgia dealers, average was 5 days. Took it off myself and changed at local shop. Paperwork issues with dealer. Unable to get bike in for initial service in a reasonable time frame. At 1,300 miles bike has stopped running. Wont start. Estimated time before they even look at it, you guessed it, 5 days. The other local Victory dealers the same or worse. So I guess servicing for Victory bikes will be an issue. Regrets, many. Passed up a 2014 Street Glide for this bike. Meanwhile I have now become the butt of many jokes in the club. What gives. :mad:

Sincerly,
Edgardo Fuentes
Atlanta Chapter President of the
Latin American Motorcycle Association

:mad:
You've got a point there with the flat tire. I would've sued Polaris.

How's the bike not starting? Dead battery? Is the fuel pump priming? Is the starter engaging?

·
Registered
251 Posts
All I can say is hang in there. Once you get it right, they are great bikes with very little required maintenance. I had an issue early on with my bike that took a long time to get resolved. After that, it's been great and I love the bike. Once the bike is running great, they will forget about your issues and become very jealous.

BTW: I think I met you in Helen, GA a year ago. You told me you wanted a Victory.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sounds more like your dealer did not do a proper pre buyer inspection and assembly. They get paid by Polaris to complete the final assembly just like Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Star/Yamaha and the rest.

I would check your battery cables to make sure they are tight. I believe Victory has a torque spec of 40 inch pounds for the battery cable in the Cross Country service repair manual.

That is why I hate having to bring a new bike back within 500 to 1000 miles and have to pay for an expensive service where they are pretty much just checking stuff that should have been done during the final assembly by the dealer. In my opinion the 500 mile service should be included in the cost of the bike.

At any rate my Cross Country Tour has not been back to the dealer except for a set of tires and the tri oval exhaust and stage one download. I currently have 24745 miles on it and it runs great. I bet very few of your Harley riding buddies who are giving you grief right now can say that.

·
13,002 Posts
Every day you ride you take the chance of getting a flat tire.
You have a bad dealer and sales men if you couldn't get it fix with in a day. Not Victory's fault.

Not starting does it click when you push the button? Does it just barley turn over? Did you read your owners book on trouble shooting. Your fault not Victory's.

You have to keep in mind if you take it to a big dealer even h-d there not going to drop every thing to help you.
First come first served. Not Victory's fault. Bet your Buddy's wouldn't get any better service.

We like to help you but come on give us some information. Don't be one of those guys

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Unfortunately, pre-checks aren't typically done. I had 17lbs front, 20 rear on my Hard-Ball. Since then if it's a fastener, I've checked it, and found a couple loose.. and done my own 500 mile service. There are few, VERY VERY few service depts I'd trust. From my H-D days, I've luckily learned to do my own wrenching. thumb up

One cause I do believe is that many Vic dealers are actually just metric dealers and Victory is one more brand. So their Svc guys I suspect simply don't know the bike, or will not do the work properly.. That has a larger root cause to work ethic in the U.S. these days unfortunately.

I will visually verify my service being performed, or I will go elsewhere from now on.

For note, you read these same exact threads all over at HD Forums. It's universal. Hope you get your issues resolved well with a wrench you can trust.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sounds like my dealer. They are now a tire shop for me, just because they charge 1/3 the price to mount than others around. They are on a short leash and there is no chance they don't understand that.
Flat tire, bummer.
5 days to fix? Ludicrous.
Won't start? Have you checked your battery terminals, with a wrench?
Paperwork problems, yea been there.
Download an owners manual, or pull it out of the saddlebag, if they bothered giving you one. Read it and learn to do things yourself. No you shouldn't have to, but at this point you need to. Shouldn't have to find a decent dealer either, but sounds like that is on the list as well.
There are good ones.

Oh by the way. There are some horrible HD dealers as well. Most are, folks just think they are supposed to be treated the way they treat them. The reason I have never owned one or even really cared to is the dealers, not the bike.

Hope things turn your way. I had a very shaky start to Vic ownership and was ready to dump the thing in the lake, but couldn't get it to run long enough. After the fix was fixed, the bike has been trying very hard to make up for the start of the relationship.

Good Luck! And welcome to the board!

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Sell that piece of **** immediately and get a Harley. You won't be happy until you do.

When your Harley gets a flat or won't start, you won't even care. If it takes the dealer 5 days to look at it, you won't even care. And FREE HOT DOGS!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sell that piece of **** immediately and get a Harley. You won't be happy until you do.

When your Harley gets a flat or won't start, you won't even care. If it takes the dealer 5 days to look at it, you won't even care. And FREE HOT DOGS!
Sarcasm perhaps? Still good advice either way.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Hey those Harley dogs are superb.....:)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Funny how the OP never follows up in these instances....

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I don't know why people even 'try' Victory, when they know Harley's always start, don't get flat tires, and never have service issues, what gives?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't know why people even 'try' Victory, when they know Harley's always start, don't get flat tires, and never have service issues, what gives?

LOL!

I notice you also have two BMW's...I have an 04 R1150R...and an 02 K1200LT....the R1150R is hard on my hips lately..so thought I'd try a cruiser, and have had my eye on a XR for a while.

Know anyone looking for a K1200LT ?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I also had a half-assed pre-delivery inspection. Which, after buying 5 motorcycles, I have come to inspect. The only one where everything was done right upon arriving at home was Lacy's Vegas, because I was being a real asshole about it to the salesman. PDIs usually get thrown to the shop noobs, and apparently don't pay much for flat rate because they run through 'em and miss stuff like tire pressure.

However, OP, you don't mention what caused the flat tire. Was it too low and you burned the innerliner out? Or did you pick something up in the road? Picking something up in the road wouldn't really be anyone's fault, now would it?

As for it not starting, +1 on the battery terminals being loose.

However, I have to admit I have very little sympathy for you, since it appears you came to this forum only to complain about what a bad choice you made, rather than try to determine what might be wrong using the vast knowledge contained herein. Half Crazy's probably on to something here: you may not be happy unless you're riding that Street Glide.

As for a bad dealer experience, most of us have had those. That seems to be an issue that plagues metric dealers in general (altho the dealership I bought my XR from is actually pretty good). No one here will tell you you're in some minority because the dealer's jerking you around. A lot of guys can commiserate. But you're really complaining about an experience you can potentially never have. I've done every service on my XR and Lacy's Vegas in a combined 23,000 miles since taking them home--oil changes, tires, cables, belt tension. I have service manuals for both of them. Other than the cartridge forks on the XR, nothing in that service manual would deter me (I just don't have a fork spring compressor).

If you read through these forums you'll find that people having serious issues are very few. You might also find that there is a not-insignificant number of people dealing with minor quirks, but those quirks are easily remedied if you research. You'll never have to worry about cam chain tensioner failure, regulator failures are few and far between, belt changes take 30 minutes...these are bulletproof bikes.

Take a breath, assess the situation, check those battery terminals. That XC will run circles around a Street Glide all day long.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Funny how the OP never follows up in these instances....
So true, Brother! :ltr:

The OP's Vic dealer/service does sound like my first one though. bsbabcock made a good observation how many Vic dealers sell/service other brands of motorcycles. Or, like my first dealer, the majority of the service work is Cars! :crzy:

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Where did this OP go? He has a lot of questions to answer. C'mon guy, give us some details and we can help you out of this, it ain't brain surgery. Read the preceding posts and do what your friends here have suggested. Then, if you still have problems, come back with precise details and receive more help. Bad mouth your dealer, he deserves it, but don't badmouth your bike until you know you genuinely have a complaint.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had some teething problems when I bought my new Harley back in 2000. After I sorted out the stuff that was not properly checked/adjusted on the pre-delivery inspection it was smooth sailing just like the used 2011 XC I recently picked up. The original owner never addressed the same out of the box type issues many people experience from the selling dealers sloppy PDI.

I once had a flat tire on my Harley. Turned out it was my Toyota Tundras fault...for not driving it that day. Five days is a long time to wait. I bring the wheels only to the tire shop and make sure they can get to it right away. I've never had to drop them off and return later on. Always in and out pretty quick. I would suspect it takes more effort to get a bike with a flat tire to the shop than it does to take the wheel off and bring them just the wheel.

One thing your Harley buddies are right about is the lack of dealer support for the Victory brand. Two of my local dealers are Kawasaki dealers that took in Victory. I get the impression from talking to some of the Techs that Victory was thrown into their laps...in other words for them Victory service has become a necessary evil, not something they necessarily enjoy doing. A completely different scenario at a HD service department. Those guys were hired to work on HD and expect to specialize in HD only.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Well anybody that bashes any other bike or car or truck for that matter is stupid. Every single vehicle out there has some problems. Some more than others. I have a Honda VTX as well as a Vic and I can tell you that each has there own set of problems and the bike dealers are no different than Auto Dealers. These are engineered products and problems are inherent. So learn to fix the bike yourself or find a good local shop that is not going to take YOU for a ride.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Time to name and shame the dealer. I am curious who it is since I live just down the road and bought my Gunner from a local dealer a couple weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts