Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the info I could find on the forum, but I'm gonna reach out here anyway and see what everyone thinks. No one seems to have posed this exact question anyway.

Before I get the inevitable responses of "get good insurance," I HAVE good insurance. And until this point I've always been pretty cavalier about one of the bikes getting stolen. Well, due to my current financial and medical situation, replacing a stolen bike is not an option. My wife will have to go without for months or years before we can financially stabilize again and I am comfortable in making the payment.

Anyway, we took the settlement from the Gecko on Lacy's Vegas last week. Paid off the loan and then some. Gonna sock away most of that payout, but I'm taking a little to buy some security for the Cross Roads. I've got a few options lined up, but want to get some opinions on what might be my best option, as well as share what I think.

Option 1: Disc lock
Been looking at specifically the Roadlok:
http://roadlok.com/collections/victory/products/xda-101-black

This seems to be a much sturdier, better designed alternative to the inexpensive Xena setups, altho I will say the addition of an alarm would be nice. But you don't have to carry it around, so you won't forget it.

My main concern would be forgetting to unlock it, of course, and damaging the rotor. Then exists the remote possibility that a well-coordinated effort could result in the bike STILL being stolen. Not especially likely, since the XR's pretty heavy, and I'm thinking you'd probably need 2 guys to lift the nose and a 3rd to push.

Option 2: Alarms:
Choice 1: Digital Guard Dawg X2 http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles/alarms/watch-dawg-x2/product

Choice 2: Scorpio SR-i900 http://ridescorpio.com/shop/scorpio-secure/

Very similar features from both. Neither has a custom-fit harness for the the XR, tho I might shoot Scorpio an email and see if their harness for the Vision works for the Cross bikes. The DGD is much cheaper, but the Scorpio is modular and accessories like a perimeter sensor are available. I like these higher-end models because they have a keyfob that monitors in real time, which can alert me to anyone tampering with my bike.

On the other hand, lack of a custom-fit harness would involve dinking around with wiring (which I hate) and the possibility of false alarms (which not only I hate, but I imagine everyone in my neighborhood hates too). However, accelerometer sensitivity can be adjusted on both models.

I know neither will deter a truly a dedicated thief, but I'd like to discourage one as much as possible. I also acknowledge what I'm really buying is peace of mind. Thanks for your input, guys.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Disk locks are pretty effective, but it's real important to remember they are there! I had a co-worker who used 1...Actually he just ran a regular old Master lock through one of the holes in the rotor. Forgot it was there more than once. Much to my amusement....:ltr:

·
Registered
483 Posts
One of the first things I noticed when I got my XR was the lack of fork lock / security ? I have a decent quality disc lock, so need to toss it in the saddlebag . I know locks only keep the honest people out , but I'm surprised Vic didn't provide something ? My main concern is overnight parking in motels / hotels....maybe I should up-grade my digs :p

Personally I think a good disc lock is sufficient . Anything to slow them down...JMO!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Stay away from disk locks, you will forget it and you will damage your own bike, it's inevitable.
Plus, when are you going to use it? Every time you leave the bike?
People can still steal it when you go in to get a quick coffee.

Alarms are much simpler and you can always arm it when you walk away from your bike. You don't need to strip all the wires on your bike to install it.

Look at the Gorilla series alarms, it has 2 wires for positive and negative battery connections, that's it.
And it has tilt sensor, shock sensor, led warning light, 120db siren, two way pager...

Go with the alarm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not the kind to put much stock in an alarm system. People don't pay attention to them anymore, and unless you're within earshot, and are prepared to intervene (bad idea), what's going to happen? A casual thief might move on, but a determined one will not. Fortunately, Victories aren't thief bait as much as Harleys, so your odds are better just by owing a Victory.

I use a heavy-duty disc lock, and have never had a bike stolen. You could always put one on each wheel, although it would be a bit of a hassle with bags. If you're the forgetful type, put some kind of warning on your handlebar.

Unless I'm at a hotel, I try not to leave my bike out of sight. Sometimes at a restaurant, I have no choice. But I try to park in front as near to the door as possible. At hotels, I ask to park in front by the door, and am usually able to do so.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I use a Xena with the warning cable arund the frnt brake lever and ver the right grip. The alarm desn't wrk anymre due t my being unable t listen t it while changing the bettery. They do sell the alarm mdule separately.
My o key desn't appear t wrk anymore.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
...*sigh*

For those of you who've offered constructive opinions on whether a disc lock or an alarm is more worth my money, thank you.

But Sponkey...well, seriously? Come on, I KNOW what I'm spending my money on is the grown-up equivalent of a security blanket. THAT'S THE POINT. Just because anyone interested in making the effort can circumvent an attempt to protect my property doesn't mean I shouldn't try. In the specific case of the theft of my wife's Vegas, a disc lock may have slowed down the thieves enough that the nosy but unwilling-to-confront eyewitness may have made her phone call to my friend who had the bike call BEFORE they got away with the it. An alarm would have alerted the friend (and everyone else in his quiet and moderately-upscale neighborhood) who was IN HIS HOUSE as it was stolen from his driveway. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to get at least one post saying an alarm or lock is pointless, tho I thought I made it clear I knew such devices are better at discouraging casual theft than keeping away the pros. But I think every little bit helps. And moreover, I'm no longer willing to do nothing and wonder what could've happened differently if I'd just spent a few bucks.

Anyway, it regards to the options I'm considering, the Roadlok disc lock has a yellow flag on the removeable lock pin to remind you it's locked. Roadlok also claims that because the device mounts permanently to the hanger for the brake caliper (thereby becoming the hanger for the brake caliper) and is immobile, it won't damage your brake rotor if you forget to unlock it. That won't save me from dropping the bike on myself tho lol

The two alarms can alert the keyfob to any activity on the bike within a 1/2 mile. I like that feature. When I use the bike for commuting, it ain't parked that far away. When it's in my driveway, you can bet I'd be willing to confront anyone I found on my property screwing with my bike. If it were in my driveway and I weren't home, I have at least 3 nosy neighbors who can see my driveway and would call the cops. I'm thinking the Scorpio system can become part of the rLink setup, but I have a Windows phone, so the vehicle tracking and mobile alert isn't available to me. But hey, only a year till next upgrade!

I looked briefly at Gorilla alarms, Paul. I'll consider them further. Thanks for the suggestion

...maybe I should have added a poll?

Anyway, more opinions please ON THE DEVICES or suggestions on other devices that've worked for you, and please refrain from lecturing me about how I can't possibly protect my property from an ambitious thief.

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK, I have to ask a question. Given the scenario you outlined in your first post about the dire financial consequences that would result from your bike getting stolen, would it not be prudent to get both an alarm AND a disc lock? Does it have to be either/or?

I have an older version of this lock, and while the alarm no longer works, it's such a heavy chunk of metal that it seems to me it would be hard to defeat. For $65, would it not be a wise investment, either as a stand-alone device or as an addition to an alarm?

http://http://www.amazon.com/Xena-XX-6-Motorcycle-Disc-Alarm/dp/B002TWUTK8

I'd have to think that it would take an experienced and very determined thief to steal an immobile bike that has an alarm blaring.

·
Registered
790 Posts
equote=JonW;1013673]OK, I have to ask a question. Given the scenario you outlined in your first post about the dire financial consequences that would result from your bike getting stolen, would it not be prudent to get both an alarm AND a disc lock? Does it have to be either/or?

I have an older version of this lock, and while the alarm no longer works, it's such a heavy chunk of metal that it seems to me it would be hard to defeat. For $65, would it not be a wise investment, either as a stand-alone device or as an addition to an alarm?

I'd have to think that it would take an experienced and very determined thief to steal an immobile bike that has an alarm blaring.[/quote]

Agreed. Use to use this too and when in use put the key on along string I attached to my motorcycle key so that when I pulled the MC key out of my pocket I would have to keep fishing for the end reminding me the alarm was on before I did something stupid.

I know you don't want to heatrthis though...
Stopped using it though after my friend lost his bike at a bike show. Seems nobody cared about the truck that pulled up, 3 or 4 guys picked up the bike and left in seconds with the alarm blaring.

Then there was the time another friend and his buddy lost his bike parking it in front of his motel room window, same thing... but they woke hearing it, ran outside barely dressed in very cold weather only to greet BIGGER guys with one pulling out a shot gun.

But then they both had new Harley Tours.... So owning a Victory is your best defense :D

You will get want you want from any of these devices, a warning for a stupid burglar.

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
my 2010 Vegas Low has a lug with a hole on the frame l/h side that when the forks are in full left lock lines up with a lug on the forks with a hole...a great idea I can slip a reasonable padlock on there which I carry in by bags, also a lock cable highly visible steel cable with yellow plastic outer that I can thread through my rear wheel as well and over the seat where I can see it and not try to ride off.
bonus is it can be threaded thru the d ring on my helmet as theres no helmet locks on a Vic.
That if the bikes out of my sight, plus my bikes safely garaged inside my locked workshop where I also live and the yard gates are locked as well.
Also as there's no aftermarket cases or frames for Vics to enable rebirthing as with HDs then thats a good deterrent as all a thief can do is break it up to sell in parts.
One would hope that the majority of Victory owners aren't the sort of people that would buy hot parts either,
All plusses when stacked up against that other brand of often stolen cruiser.
Sorry to hear of your loss Luciferiad.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have the DGD. I also have an Abus disk lock that has a matched chain with a geshtugala on one end that fits into the disk lock slot and a ring on the other end for looping the chain around something.

It looks formidable. Looks are not what prevents theft. It does make a statement that probably gives pause to opportunistic crackheads. I believe in visible confrontation. It's a bark though, not a bite.

I have in the past done damage to my motorcycles with the use of security measures that required immobilizing the wheel. Coincedentally, those incidents included alcohol and other drugs. I don't imbibe anymore and curiously I don't take off with my front wheel locked anymore. Just saying.

The DGD is not intimidating. If the means of theft includes muscle the scumbags come to the game not caring whether it starts or not so a device that prevents driving away isn't much of an incentive. IT is an incentive for some insurance companies to give you a break on your rate though. It is slick and I have it on all my bikes now because if nothing else, I have chipped paint with keys and my go rounds with side mounted ignitions include lost keys and failed switches over time. I don't like having to wiggle my butt when the bike doesn't respond because the fob didn't wake up from being in my pocket. The queen thinks its kinda cute though.

Together they might increase your chances of foiling theft a percentage point or ten. What is more important is that you do what you can and employ the rest of the serenity prayer.

Just try to spend your gold on things that give you a tangible benefit, even if its just telling yourself that it ain't for lack of trying that they got baby.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I have to ask a question. Given the scenario you outlined in your first post about the dire financial consequences that would result from your bike getting stolen, would it not be prudent to get both an alarm AND a disc lock? Does it have to be either/or?

I'd have to think that it would take an experienced and very determined thief to steal an immobile bike that has an alarm blaring.
I have considered doing both, but I'm worried I'll forget the Xena's on there and wreck the brake disc. Or set it off every time I try to ride it. But I guess there's a learning curve with any of these devices. I do like the price range on the Xena products tho.

I have in the past done damage to my motorcycles with the use of security measures that required immobilizing the wheel. Coincedentally, those incidents included alcohol and other drugs. I don't imbibe anymore and curiously I don't take off with my front wheel locked anymore. Just saying.
My sense of balance is iffy under the best of circumstances. Alcohol impairs it further. How I keep a motorcycle upright is a mystery to all even when I'm sober, so I never drink and ride.

I know you don't want to heatrthis though...
Stopped using it though after my friend lost his bike at a bike show. Seems nobody cared about the truck that pulled up, 3 or 4 guys picked up the bike and left in seconds with the alarm blaring.

Then there was the time another friend and his buddy lost his bike parking it in front of his motel room window, same thing... but they woke hearing it, ran outside barely dressed in very cold weather only to greet BIGGER guys with one pulling out a shot gun.
this has crossed my mind. Which on the one hand has me considering a CWP (the Idaho permit is honored in every state I regularly visit except OR), but on the other has me calling myself an idiot. What am I gonna do, get in a gunfight over a motorcycle? Not worth it. But I worry that if I were pissed enough I might try to call an armed thief's bluff...would he be willing to kill a guy over a theft? My decision-making is very suspect when I'm angry.

I can't believe no one would ask about a bike being carted off with its alarm blaring at a bike show. That's sickening. People are just...yeah. That's messed up.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have banged the disc lock against the forks a time or two, but the damage was just a small ding in the chrome cover, no real big deal. I have found that if I park the bike so that I have to back it up to get it out of the parking space, and if I install the disc lock as close as possible to the forks, backing up the bike for a foot or less will cause the disc lock to nudge the forks. Much preferable to trying to ride off with the lock installed.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have both the Digital Guard Dog and the RoadLok and am very happy with the both of them!

The big difference between the RoadLok and the other types of disc locks is the RoadLok is permanently attached to the bike. Once the pin is in one of the holes on the disc, it is not going anywhere. You can start the bike and try to drive away but it won't move a mm, it will just stall out the bike or spin the rear tire. It will not damage the disc or the bike, if you forget to remove the yellow flagged pin! The other type, could possible do a full revolution before stopping and cause a lot of damage.

The Roadlok is certainly more expensive than the other type but it is a high quality and sturdy piece of kit...sometimes you get what you pay for! Oh, to install on my Judge, I had to install a 2" longer brake line. Apparently, some installations don't require this.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
The safety strap for the disk lock costs about $4. It takes about a second to put on.
This is what I use but only when parked in a city and/or a motel/hotel.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I use a Xena with the warning cable arund the frnt brake lever and ver the right grip.
Yup. Pretty hard to forget with a great big springy yellow cable dangling between the throttle and your brake disc. One has a permanent place in my top box, but the only time I use it is when I'm parking at a motel overnight.

I'd say their effectiveness is commensurate with the intent of the thief. The time I had a bike stolen it was for them to joy ride around on. The lock probably would have been enough to deter them (if it had been invented back then).

Someone who wants to part out the bike probably wouldn't care about the disc lock while they threw it in the truck. But at least you'd know you made them work like hell to get that heavy beast in there.

Alarms are so common, I doubt that anyone gives them a second glance anymore. Back when I had my Duc, I was liable to set off several of them daily. The bike wasn't even particularly loud, but its sound was bassy enough that it musta given those cars it passed a little shake. Never saw a SWAT team show up on the scene to investigate afterwards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts