Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the O2 sensor thing. Diffidently made a power difference;) was worth the time to do. Now it will be nice if it does not hurt the fuel mileage or it would be great if it actually improves it which would not surprise me since it seems to run better. Anybody see an improvement on MPG doing this? Would love the PCV, but this is much cheaper for now.:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seen other post.

Sorry after posting the above about the O2 sensors I see tonight that there is actually another thread on this. Still any MPG figures of before and after?:confused:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Generally you'll see a 2 or 3 mpg loss since the ECU sends the injectors into open loop. That's not a bad thing. The bikes are tuned from the factory to run a bit lean to comply with EPA standards. If you were to add a PCV or a VFCIII you would have to disconnect the sensors anyway. Save up your pennies like I did and get a fuel controller and better exhaust.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i ran a tank through last sat and got 42.my calculation, not
the bikes. thats 2 up riding. thats about what i was getting
before. didnt really notice any difference in power or smoothness.
hooked backed up sunday and havent run a full tank yet.
it has been between40 and 44 since new and a lot of it has
been windy days. done as good mileage wise as my 1300 vtx.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
i ran a tank through last sat and got 42.my calculation, not
the bikes. thats 2 up riding. thats about what i was getting
before. didnt really notice any difference in power or smoothness.
hooked backed up sunday and havent run a full tank yet.
it has been between40 and 44 since new and a lot of it has
been windy days. done as good mileage wise as my 1300 vtx.
The only thing I noticed was a loss in mileage, but all bikes I've owned seem to get worse mileage in the cold so that may have had something to do with it too. I didn't check the mileage, but I was getting the fuel light to come on between 155 and 165 miles as opposed to 195 miles before I disconnected them.

I also have the Stage 1 FI map. Maybe disconnecting them when running the stock FI map has more of an effect?

From what I've read on these systems is they all run a baseline open loop map. The sensors are just there to make minor adjustments to the baseline open loop map based on the oxygen level in the exhaust. Thus, if the sensors were to fail, the bike doesn't run much differently.

Supposedly, if "both" sensors fail (or become unhooked), Vic's FI systems electronically jump to some richer open loop map. Not sure what happens if only one fails.

I've read that conditions that cause the catalytic converter to over oxidize the HC and CO in the exhaust cause heat that damages it. This would indicate a lean condition (more air to fuel). The common net wisdom is that they are damaged by rich conditions however. Our forum tech Kevin says that the majority of damaged cats he's seen have been from running lean.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mileage?

Have not got to run a complete tank of gas yet since I unhooked them. It did make my bike run much better. To me it has always been lean. With them hooked up the bike did not feel comfortable running below 75mph in sixth gear. Now it can run much below 75mph in sixth gear and feels fine. I even took it down to 60mph in sixth gear and it would accelerate much easier than before.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
everyone talks about not using sixth gear till 70.on the
flat my bike does fine at 55 or 60 . i dont lug it but
on a smooth flat road and 2000 rpm and over 1700 cc's
i cant see that im hurting anything. maybe thats why im
happy with the mileage. i guess you can say im a conservative
rider. and its always 2 up.
feel free to cuss me me out about any of the above.--irv

·
Registered
143 Posts
May be a dumb question, but since I haven't looked closely at them yet, was wondering how do you disconnect the O2 sensors?

Are they snap on type connectors or threaded or what?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
May be a dumb question, but since I haven't looked closely at them yet, was wondering how do you disconnect the O2 sensors?

Thanks,
Randy
Yes, the connectors just snap apart, but I would strongly suggest taping them over to keep water from getting inside and corroding the contacts. Just in case someday you might want the improved mileage or need to take it in to the shop for a warranty repair. How you will explain to your mechanic why the ECU shows they've been missing up to the day you took it in for service is something you may want to consider in advance.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harley & O2?

Does anybody know if you can get the same results on the newer Harleys by disconnecting the O2 sensors. I had told a friend at work about it and he said he was going to try it on his Harley. This guy would also like to try the Victorys, he really likes the looks and said a while back he has thought of getting one. Maybe we can get him to do a demo ride someday, most of us know what happens then.

·
Registered
851 Posts

Thanks,
Randy
Don't try and disconnect them at the sensor. Follow the wire down until you find the connector ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Before disconnecting o2 sensors my fuel gage would read 264 miles after fueling. After running a few tanks through after disconnect my gauge reads 291 miles to empty. Low fuel used to come on at about 170 miles now comes on at around 184-194. I am getting at least 45 mpg.
I have stage1, o2 disconnect. upgraded filter and D&D pipes. Have almost 18,000 on my 11 XC. Don't know if this helps you. I'm not a techy.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great.

Jacktrash that is a good improvement. It seems to be worth the time to disconnect them if not for the power gain for the mpg improvement. I hope my bike picks up a few mpg by doing this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do people really get a fuel gain?

That is really shocking to me that you would. I would expect a few MPG loss.

I might have to try it when I get my XCT.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Do people really get a fuel gain?

That is really shocking to me that you would. I would expect a few MPG loss.

I might have to try it when I get my XCT.
I think he mis-spoke. If it runs richer without them, that means it will use more fuel. That was definitely the case when I disconnected mine.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I went from 50 to 47 mpg highway after removing my sensors and I feel good about that.

QUESTION: Would it create a problem to speed up the idle a bit by turning up the stop screw? At least I believe it to be a stop screw - its behind the right side cheese wedge, and the front of the rotating throttle control comes to a stop against it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not exactly on subject but related:
I have read numerous times that disconnecting the 02 sensors would make the bikes run cooler but no one gave any actual numbers. So using a laser temperature reader I did test runs at around town speeds and at Freeway speeds.
I also tested whether the heat was reduced by opening the lower vent 100% or by just 1 3/4".
I took reading at 4 different areas, the heat shield under the leg on the right side, the seat where your thigh would touch, the side cover, and the face of the saddle bag.
Bottom line is the bike ran approximately 13 degrees cooler at the heat shield with the 02 sensor disconnected and the vent at 1 3/4 ". 5 degrees at the seat, not much difference at the side cover unless at freeway speeds, then 13 degrees less at the saddle bag.
The Cat temp 6 to 10 degrees depending on whether around town or on the freeway. Highest cat temp was 250 unless at idle then it went way higher.

Some area's there was a big difference and in others there wasn't much. You also have to take into conseration the laser temperature readings vary even while holding steady on the same spot so I average it.

·
13,002 Posts
Before disconnecting o2 sensors my fuel gage would read 264 miles after fueling. After running a few tanks through after disconnect my gauge reads 291 miles to empty. Low fuel used to come on at about 170 miles now comes on at around 184-194. I am getting at least 45 mpg.
I have stage1, o2 disconnect. upgraded filter and D&D pipes. Have almost 18,000 on my 11 XC. Don't know if this helps you. I'm not a techy.
Use your phone to find out mileage. Gauge is only a easement

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any warning lights come on when you disconnect o2's? I have a 2015 gunner and I didn't want to log a fault in case I had to take it in. Would it void a warranty? Or just plug them back in before I go?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts