Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking under my victory hammer today to see what type of Jack I might need for oil changes, I noticed what looks to be an oil sensor (maybe?) that is not connected (pictures attached). By the looks of the corrosion on the terminals and connectors it appears that the wires were not on the terminals for quite a while.
Can someone please tell me what exactly this sensor is, does it matter which wire gets connected to which terminal, and does it really need to be hooked up?

I had new tires installed several months ago and have only put a couple hundred miles on before the weather turned cold. I don’t know if the shop had any reason to disconnect that. Or maybe it’s been that way since I’ve got the bike couple years ago. Regardless, I haven’t noticed any performance affected. My only worry is if it may have caused any damage internally!
94E41FC2-80D3-4AA5-83F5-0AB2547AF06C.jpeg
BCA6C2BA-2D1E-4F65-A3AD-A81DB339D785.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Its a pressure switch item 16

There suppose to be 1 wire with 2 terminal that fit on there, you can look for that wire?

Please download your shopmanual , its is very handy to have, member @BBob in his signature has all the manuals on a website for free

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you BP6666VR!
There are 2 wires with connectors that I can reconnect to this sensor. They both are color coded (see pic). Does it make any difference which wire goes where?
There must be another sensor somewhere else for the oil pressure because when I turn the ignition on to accessory the pressure light appears on the speedometer but goes out once I start the engine. What does this sensor do?
C6D31D57-B1E5-42CF-AAFB-84554D2CEE69.jpeg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you BP6666VR!
There are 2 wires with connectors that I can reconnect to this sensor. They both are color coded (see pic). Does it make any difference which wire goes where?
There must be another sensor somewhere else for the oil pressure because when I turn the ignition on to accessory the pressure light appears on the speedometer but goes out once I start the engine. What does this sensor do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
They are probably different sizes. If same size then it probably doesn't matter. Usually they make such things pretty idiot proof.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
They are probably different sizes. If same size then it probably doesn't matter. Usually they make such things pretty idiot proof.
I remember there the same size, so it would not matter which one to connect,

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Oil pressure sensor i think its on the left hand under the engine, single wire, not right hand as were the brake pressure switch is... Double wire
B6A-9278.jpg

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...
A fairly warm day for March in Pa (55 degrees F.) so I thought I would release the Hammer from the cocoon its been in all winter. First I installed the battery and then hit the starter. It didn't take but four turns of the engine before it fired up. I then tested the turn signals and the brake lights. When I pressed the foot pedal the taillight did not light up! So I connected the wires to the sensor I inquired about earlier, hit the brake pedal again and the LED's lit up!
The only thing I can think of why they were disconnected is I had new tires put on last autumn. Why the shop needed to disconnect this rear brake sensor to do that I don't know.
After resolving that issue I proceeded to prepare the beast to change its oil. She was only at 4700 miles (9700 miles on the odometer) since the last oil change but I figured why not change it at the beginning of the riding season? I had used the Victory oil change kit last time (at 5000 mi.) but decided to give the Shell Rotella T5 a try (also a K&N oil filter). I noticed slightly quieter engine noise and easier shifting, especially downshifting into first gear.
I also am trying out a set of four "Black Hole" rare earth magnets on the outside of the oil filter. I don't know if these are just a gimmick or if they really work? The way it was described how they work kind of made sense to me.
The first ride of the season was just as impressive as the first time I got on this bike last year. I had forgotten how quick these Victory's are and soon had to watch how much I twisted the throttle, but only for a few minutes. I proceeded to tear up the local roads and spent the next two hours with a big smile on my face!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts