Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always hated my stock cheese wedges and have been dying to replace them. There are many options on the market but most of them cost an arm and a leg. Here's my home made covers that cost under $10.

The base is a small aluminium skillet from walmart painted with truck bedliner. I had the bedliner already and the skillet cost $4.50. I knocked the handle off and sanded the coating down for the paint to stick better.

The plate on top is a round electrical box cover separated by some rubber washers and painted flat white. I found it the electrical plate at Lowes for a buck or two. The paint is just some rustoleum rattle can.

The image started out as the picture on top and I photoshopped it to better suit the colors of the bike. The picture on the bottom is the final image. I thought a classic looking WWII pinup girl would go good with the style of the bike but you can really use whatever picture you want.

The trick to getting the image on the metal is tissue paper.

1. Find an image that you like, size it to the proper dimensions, and print it.
2. Take the printed image and cut a piece of tissue paper just larger than the image and tape the edges over the paper copy. Try and tape the tissue paper taut to minimize wrinkles.
3. Re-print the picture and cut the image out of the tissue paper.
4. Brush a light coated of regular old white elmers glue over the electrical cover.
5. Center the tissue paper over the glue, smooth it flat, and do your best to keep the wrinkles out. The paper will give you a little wiggle room to smooth out but keep in mind its just tissue paper and can rip really easy.
6. Spray clear coat it till you're happy with the results.

The best part of this setup is the price. You can really make as many of the covers as you wish and change them as often as you like.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I love the great looks and sheer simplicity of this.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
A
m
a
z
i
n
g

Love this ...... Will you do the same on the primary ?

I read your post 5 times and still did NOT understand how you transferred the print fom paper to tissue onto the aluminum or plastic plate ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of making it flat black with the gear painted white and an image in the inner circle. In reality, I'll probably try masking off the gear, get frustrated, and just flat black the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
That really looks great, I love the old fashioned pin-up art. Now if you would make some t-shirts...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A
m
a
z
i
n
g

Love this ...... Will you do the same on the primary ?

I read your post 5 times and still did NOT understand how you transferred the print fom paper to tissue onto the aluminum or plastic plate ?
I printed it once on regular computer paper. Then I taped a small piece of tissue paper over computer paper and ran it through the printer again. This was done so I the tissue paper would line up for the printer.

I cut out the tissue paper and glued it to the aluminium plate. Once the glue dried, I sprayed it with the clear coat. Tissue paper turns clear once it's wet. The clear coat wets the tissue making it clear but still showing the image. It also seals the image to the aluminium plate. The end result is that you can't see the tissue paper and it looks like its painted directly on the plate.

If that still doesn’t make sense, let me know and I'll print another and take some pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
Excellent work! Where did you learn of the idea with tissue paper? Is this tissue paper something you get at an arts and crafts place? Great work on the photoshopping too. Really turned out amazing.

It really does look professionally done.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I printed it once on regular computer paper. Then I taped a small piece of tissue paper over computer paper and ran it through the printer again. This was done so I the tissue paper would line up for the printer.

I cut out the tissue paper and glued it to the aluminium plate. Once the glue dried, I sprayed it with the clear coat. Tissue paper turns clear once it's wet. The clear coat wets the tissue making it clear but still showing the image. It also seals the image to the aluminium plate. The end result is that you can't see the tissue paper and it looks like its painted directly on the plate.

If that still doesn’t make sense, let me know and I'll print another and take some pictures.
GOOD JOB my friend ..... never knew you can print on tissue paper ... I googled your ""regular old white elmers glue"" and it looks like just transparent "paper" glue

definitely on my bucket list to do some Grimm reaper stuff on my bike, I looked on the internet and it is just ridiculous expensive... thank you again for sharing this

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent work! Where did you learn of the idea with tissue paper? Is this tissue paper something you get at an arts and crafts place? Great work on the photoshopping too. Really turned out amazing.

Originally the idea was from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIlgNlBXTw

I took that idea and started printing my own pictures on tissue paper for candles and then tried it on metal with clear coat.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts

YAAA you could use "self adhesive transparent paper" on flat surfaces?

Inkjet Printable Transparency Film - Walmart.com

cbossio = thumb up thumb up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YAAA you could use "self adhesive transparent paper" on flat surfaces?

Inkjet Printable Transparency Film - Walmart.com

cbossio = thumb up thumb up
I'm sure you could and that did cross my mind. I opted for the tissue because 1. I had it already and 2. tissue is so thin it doesn't show an edge. I was going for a painted look and trying to avoid a sticker look. I'm probably just splitting hairs though.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
One more thing ..... You used glue to stick the tissue onto the aluminum plate, maybe can use the clear pray coating on aluminum then put the printed tissue and afterwards clear coat it again with the same clearcoat

So no need glue ?? Just a tought ?

If you don't mind I'm gonna try this when i finished my garage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more thing ..... You used glue to stick the tissue onto the aluminum plate, maybe can use the clear pray coating on aluminum then put the printed tissue and afterwards clear coat it again with the same clearcoat

So no need glue ?? Just a tought ?

If you don't mind I'm gonna try this when i finished my garage
My first attempt was with some spray adhesive. I switched to the white glue because it allows the paper to be moved around a little bit. Stretching out wrinkles wasn't possible with the spray.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Excellent job. Really looks professional.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts