Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X-Bike saddlebag tethers are available from at least one source but I got to thinking about how difficult it would be to make one using stuff I had laying around. I saw a thread about them on the Vog where someone made a set out of some plastic covered wire cable with electrical islets on the ends. I didn't have that stuff handy but I did have some leather and some strapping left over from another project. Here's what I learned if you want to make your own.

The left side bag tether will need to be 9.75" from center to center of your metal reinforced holes. The right side is going to need to be a bit longer; probably 10". The reason is when the bike is on the kickstand both lids have different gravity forces at work. At 9.75" on the right; the lid would not stay open.

I first tried the leather but found no matter how thick it was (can only go so thick); it stretched and didn't really take the torque off the hinges. The nylon strapping does work and since I have access to a leather stitching machine (a regular sewing machine would work in this case) I folded over the ends starting with 14" of strap then made sure I could center to center that 9.75" in the middle of the fold then stitched the folds. Knocked a hole in each end and put islets in making sure the 10mm bolt would fit through it. Here are the results.

I can make and send these to anyone in the USA for $15. They aren't terribly hard to make but it does take the right tools and supplies. I'm thinking about putting them on ebay for $20 a set. China could make them in bulk for a buck or two but I don't think the volume would be worth their while.

The reason for doing this is three fold. It's easy for someone to over open the lids carelessly, the lids have been known to fly open if not latched correctly, and speakers in the lids make the lids heavy and prone to breaking the hinges.

If you come up with other DIY ideas at home; please post how and pics of the project up close and a little ways back so we can see the final result. Come to think of it; I too should take one more pic a little further back with the lid open.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
X-Bike saddlebag tethers are available from at least one source but I got to thinking about how difficult it would be to make one using stuff I had laying around. I saw a thread about them on the Vog where someone made a set out of some plastic covered wire cable with electrical islets on the ends. I didn't have that stuff handy but I did have some leather and some strapping left over from another project. Here's what I learned if you want to make your own.

The left side bag tether will need to be 9.75" from center to center of your metal reinforced holes. The right side is going to need to be a bit longer; probably 10". The reason is when the bike is on the kickstand both lids have different gravity forces at work. At 9.75" on the right; the lid would not stay open.

I first tried the leather but found no matter how thick it was (can only go so thick); it stretched and didn't really take the torque off the hinges. The nylon strapping does work and since I have access to a leather stitching machine (a regular sewing machine would work in this case) I folded over the ends starting with 14" of strap then made sure I could center to center that 9.75" in the middle of the fold then stitched the folds. Knocked a hole in each end and put islets in making sure the 10mm bolt would fit through it. Here are the results.

I can make and send these to anyone in the USA for $15. They aren't terribly hard to make but it does take the right tools and supplies. I'm thinking about putting them on ebay for $20 a set. China could make them in bulk for a buck or two but I don't think the volume would be worth their while.

The reason for doing this is three fold. It's easy for someone to over open the lids carelessly, the lids have been known to fly open if not latched correctly, and speakers in the lids make the lids heavy and prone to breaking the hinges.

If you come up with other DIY ideas at home; please post how and pics of the project up close and a little ways back so we can see the final result. Come to think of it; I too should take one more pic a little further back with the lid open.
I'll go in on a set, Bob.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Wouldnt that make it a bit tricky to load? Not sure but looks like the strap runs across the opening

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldnt that make it a bit tricky to load? Not sure but looks like the strap runs across the opening
I noodled that out too and thought, well, it would have more support if I went across to the other side like the person did with this cable tether. If you look at the pic above where it goes from the latch on the lid to the inside bolt for the hinge; you will see the one I made doesn't do that. Then again the ones I made aren't supporting a lid with a heavy speaker in it either. It really depends on the person at that point and what they are most comfy with.

Doing that would be tricky though. First of all I'd need an "L" bracket to accommodate that angle coming off the lid latch. More parts more expense plus more material. Even with a speaker in the lid; I don't think that extra support would be needed but it could be preferred.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I now have a little better idea of how you did it. LOL I had just got in off the road from a week long 1800 mile road trip.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I just got them in the mail today. Great choice of color @BBob

I think they took me a total of 5 minutes to install and now I don’t have to worry about my wife letting them bounce at the hinges. If I may make one small suggestion; I would like them to have been about 1/2” longer, but that’s a personal preference at this point. They do a great job of holding the lids so they don’t exceed the hinge travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad they are working out for you Broggy. I think I'll buy black strapping next time simply because it's more universal. I hope people think about making something like this for themselves or getting some from me simply because the expense of breaking the hinges and/or the saddlebags themselves would be expensive to fix or replace.

It's a personal preference but I kinda liked them better with the folded side down as I mentioned in a PM. Turned around from the way you have them. I don't think it affects the function at all though either way.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Glad they are working out for you Broggy. I think I'll buy black strapping next time simply because it's more universal. I hope people think about making something like this for themselves or getting some from me simply because the expense of breaking the hinges and/or the saddlebags themselves would be expensive to fix or replace.

It's a personal preference but I kinda liked them better with the folded side down as I mentioned in a PM. Turned around from the way you have them. I don't think it affects the function at all though either way.
Yea, didn't think about that as I installed them, but it doesn't bother me enough to remount them.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Cross Country w/multiple adaptations
154 Posts
I would like them to have been about 1/2” longer...

That's what SHE said!!:grin

Gotta admit...you opened the door wide on that one

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I would like them to have been about 1/2” longer...

That's what SHE said!!:grin

Gotta admit...you opened the door wide on that one
If she's only looking for an extra half inch, she doesn't have very big aspirations.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have never seen this before but good idea and you did well for coming up with a DIY plan.
Well done.
BMW has had them for over 20 years. The exception was they were some type of quick release at the top so you could pull it off to load, then strap it back up before closing. Great idea, maybe a heavy snap vs. bolt at the top or a sliding rivet type setup may be good?

·
Premium Member
2016 Cross Country Tour - gloss black
83 Posts
X-Bike saddlebag tethers are available from at least one source but ...

...The nylon strapping does work and since I have access to a leather stitching machine (a regular sewing machine would work in this case) I folded over the ends starting with 14" of strap then made sure I could center to center that 9.75" in the middle of the fold then stitched the folds. Knocked a hole in each end and put islets in making sure the 10mm bolt would fit through it. Here are the results.

BBob, would you still be up for making a black set? With the added 1/2 in? I haven’t seen any on Ebay.

2016 Cross Country Tour, gloss black
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes. I've been working on them off and on. I tried using a black plastic slide adjusters but they didn't hold as well as I would like (or I did it wrong) so I went with some metal ones with a sliding bar that lock. (Pic below) Once adjusted to the length wanted; a common office stapler can keep it from moving out of adjustment and keep the tail down and in place.

I've been thinking about selling them shipped for $19.95 a set to anywhere in CONUS. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If she's only looking for an extra half inch, she doesn't have very big aspirations.

1/2” of extra girth makes a big difference to a woman.
Yup; a big difference...

·
Premium Member
2016 Cross Country Tour - gloss black
83 Posts
Yes. I've been working on them off and on. I tried using a black plastic slide adjusters but they didn't hold as well as I would like (or I did it wrong) so I went with some metal ones with a sliding bar that lock. (Pic below) Once adjusted to the length wanted; a common office stapler can keep it from moving out of adjustment and keep the tail down and in place.

I've been thinking about selling them shipped for $19.95 a set to anywhere in CONUS. Shoot me a PM if interested.

BBob, I installed the straps a couple weeks ago. I have a have a couple notes. A house-hold staple, nor a bunch of them, did not seem to hold the strap well. So I added two staples from a heavy duty stapler. I recommend stapling from the side, so the staple runs with the strap (inline). I am also probably going to fab up something to go between the lower part of the strap and the saddlebag side. This looks like a place that may crack over the years due to point stress.
I did have to open up the grommets with a punch to thread the factory bolts through as well.

2016 Cross Country Tour, gloss black
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Let me guess after reading this thread.... The hinges fail / break / loose..... Pffffff another on my bucket list..... Thanks for the info... Maybe I will do this...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BBob, I installed the straps a couple weeks ago. I have a have a couple notes. A house-hold staple, nor a bunch of them, did not seem to hold the strap well. So I added two staples from a heavy duty stapler. I recommend stapling from the side, so the staple runs with the strap (inline). I am also probably going to fab up something to go between the lower part of the strap and the saddlebag side. This looks like a place that may crack over the years due to point stress.
I did have to open up the grommets with a punch to thread the factory bolts through as well.
This makes no sense. The exact same setup is working perfectly on mine with 2 little paper staples. I can't see the other side so I can't tell if the strap is still threaded through the slide correctly.

Maybe I should just forget about making these. Too many variables I can't control like I can with the heat shields.

One other person had a different length from the two mount points and now this.

I'm taking them off the market as of right now.

Sorry it didn't work out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts