Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to think we do, or at least I do.
Tyre threads from US riders seem to get phenomenal mileage from their tyres.
Compared with what I get anyway.

Front Night Dragons done 12,800 kms (90 90 21)
Rear Metz marathon 880 at 7,000 kms (180 55 18)
both are now on wear indicators:(
My last Night Dragon rear I clocked up 10,000 kms on
my previous front Night Dragon got 11,697 kms
A rear D 417 Dunlop only got 11,000 kms
For the benefit of our Stateside readers 10,000 kms = 6000miles

What's the go?...are the roads here more abrasive?
or do we just ride harder?
or get inferior tyres?
I maintain my pressures at spec.
And my Vegas would be 50 kg lighter than a XR XC XCT.
Half my riding would be two up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
depends on the bike and style of rider

I can't get more than 5000 miles on my rear and 10,000 on the front.
Tried Metz and Dunlops next is night dragon
I don't try to burn them up but seems that maybe the lite ass end lets them spin more ??

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Tyre threads from US riders seem to get phenomenal mileage from their tyres.
Compared with what I get anyway.

What's the go?...are the roads here more abrasive?
or do we just ride harder?
or get inferior tyres?
I maintain my pressures at spec.
And my Vegas would be 50 kg lighter than a XR XC XCT.
Half my riding would be two up.
Aussie tires wearing quicker? You all laugh when you get the Emails of fat Americans. While you're replacing tires , we're spending that extra money on a Super sized Cheeseburger, fries and a milkshake to wash that down . Which is one of our secrets to high tire mileage.:ltr:

The 3 things that are the major factors from my unscientific study are if you pack all the time, how you take off, and the road surface.

Anyone can improve their tire mileage by finding some ballast for the rear seat and for the front seat for that matter. If you want top mileage pick the portly girl not the super model to pack. But do pack. If the super model has a twin and they both fit, no brainer there. Motorcycle Tires slip to grip. 10- 15% I think.

Having more weight on the back lowers the slip and improves tire mileage. Got that gem years ago at the Dunlop site I think.

Since the tire is always slipping the roughness of the road surface is big . Where I am they resurface the road with course sealcoat. We run studded Ice tires in winter and it is the only thing that even has a chance of standing up to that. It's 5/8 crushed stone glued down with tar, then rolled flat. The course texture is almost like siplng the road instead of siping the tire and when it's new it works better on rainy days or mildly icy roads.
However it's like driving on a cheese grater or worse falling on a cheese grater when you go down. Hell on tires. You can't get the real high tire mileage numbers on this stuff no matter how dedicated you are.

Then if you like the feel of acceleration, your tire wears more accordingly. Harder acceleration, more slip, less tire life.
Down south where there is no snow or ice the roads don't get resurfaced as often. They are a lot smoother. That can help

Some of these guys are no light weights and then a lot of them pack constantly.
If the OL is, how do you say this delicately? Large boned and the guy isn't a spirited rider they are going to get some awesome tire mileage.

I'm lucky if I see 11000 miles out of a rear E3 on a hd w/bias ply.
I think I did that once. I generally run continentals tours. 130x16 about 8-10k miles. One guy I ride with 6K max. It doesn't matter what he puts on a bike. He has a thunder header on everything and he loves to hear that pipe sing. Doesn't go especially fast just is thin, rides alone, and loves to run it briskly through each gear.

So eat more, drink more and start looking like a person of Walmart. Find a girl that gives you shade in the summer, warmth in the winter and pack her everywhere. Then adjust your throttle cables so the throttle doesn't open as much and your there.

Or not. Long but hope it helps

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Simple enough. Our contact patch is on the opposite side of the tire from yours.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Maybe because we have tires and you have tyres.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's the air down there. :crzy:

No telling. Usually the biggest tire use has a right wrist denominator. Throttle, braking and take off habits can all make a difference. We have some aggressive road surfaces that can fry an egg around these parts, so yes surfaces make a difference but shouldn't be that much. I get 10-12K miles out of a E3, but some claim only around 6000.

You have to pay to play, and more times than not the more grip a tire has, the less life it has. The trick is to find a happy medium.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Simple enough. Our contact patch is on the opposite side of the tire from yours.
Maybe because we have tires and you have tyres.
Man did I screw up I forgot about you being upside down and all.
You gaining weight and packing hefty heifers on the back of your bike will only make things worse. You could end up dragging the bike away from contact with the road entirely.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Take off slowly. Make an effort to slow earlier at all signals. Always drive in a straight line instead of rocking back and forth like you aussies do because you're ADD. Wash bike including tire once a week to keep moisture content up in your TYRES. If you are riding to nowhere, make sure you take all shortcuts to get there. Ride on smooth flat surfaces if you have any flat surfaces down there. There is a tyre virus they eats rubber. Talking to your tires may help... like 'please live longer' and 'I love you my sweet little tyres'. Make sure the grooves in tyres are swept back like thy're blowing in the wind ----->

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
DillPickle311;1206009Talking to your tires may help... like 'please live longer' and 'I love you my sweet little tyres'. Make sure the grooves in tyres are swept back like thy're blowing in the wind ----->[/QUOTE said:
Dill I talk to my tires all the time and it hasn't seemed to help..
Maybe It is what I say to them that is the problem. Is it best to be empathetic and try to put yourself in their place or just to encourage them?? Generally I just yell obscenities at them when they slip on tar snakes? That is probably not the correct approach I would guess.

How about soaking them in beer at night? Perhaps they will be to wasted to remember to wear out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm on my 2nd front & 3rd rear at 25000k's on stock metzelers on my BW.
gotten about 8000k's on each of my rears (give or take.. with a short stop on a cr&p dunlop which gave her a wiggle)
Front lasted about 18000k' give or take.. i'm a little bit fuzzy but it was fairly worn through by the time i got a new one.
Roads are pretty rough here in CQ and having a heavy wrist doesn't help. Hardest part is all the straight roads... guts of the tyre is gone before i scratch in the outside :(

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well there it is then. Two perfect names for metal bands in one sentence...

Guts of the Tyre

Scratch in the Outside

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Well there it is then. Two perfect names for metal bands in one sentence...

Guts of the Tyre

Scratch in the Outside
Think I'll go listen to some Floyd now....;) by...:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Dill I talk to my tires all the time and it hasn't seemed to help..
Maybe It is what I say to them that is the problem. Is it best to be empathetic and try to put yourself in their place or just to encourage them?? Generally I just yell obscenities at them when they slip on tar snakes? That is probably not the correct approach I would guess.

How about soaking them in beer at night? Perhaps they will be to wasted to remember to wear out?
Shoot! I forgot to mention that you need to look for freshly laid asphalt and run your tires back and forth over it until you see the tread is built up some and then ride like the wind. cheers:D

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks fellas...some interesting thoughts to ponder for sure...
After reading Dill's reply got me thinking...
I could become a professional 'tyre whisperer', talking soothingly to my tyres, poetry even, or play Pink Floyd to them even.
Willie Nelsons "On the Road Again" one tune to avoid though.

V-twin Victory Torque coupled with a heavy right hand and abrasive road surfaces seems to be the culprit though.
Not that I do burnouts or anything like it,
I do like to revel in the sheer grunt through the gears, and travel quickly whenever I can.
Taking shortcuts when riding no particular place just isn't on though DP, as I generally take the long way to anywhere, though my destinations are usually unknown:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
V-twin Victory Torque coupled with a heavy right hand and abrasive road surfaces seems to be the culprit though.
I love confessions! thumb up

The bottom line is you are having a great time. I stay in trouble with my wife because I spend a lot on gas. What would be crazy... if talking to our 'tyres' actually did prolong their lives.

I love the look of new tires on my bike. I wish there was a way to keep them looking new even though time to change them. Some tires look worse than others when time for new ones.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 brand new Pirelli Night Dragons went on today at 46,500 kms:)
Took off a very bald Metz 880 Marathon (7500 kms) and
Front Night Dragon (14,000 kms just onto wear indicators)

Tyre man reckons its our abrasive road surfaces in OZ.
Heavy right hand speeds it up too.

Looking forward to at least 10,000 kms (6000 mile) of corner carving to come:)

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
It's a shame tyres arn't made from ......:D, they would never wear out!
At least thats what all the old fellers say.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
racked up a quick 1000kms on the Night Dragons in four days hard riding.
Great to have two brand new sticky tyres, a few abrasive concrete road roundabouts and turns had em quickly scuffed in, from then on it was confidence plus.
Crank her right over and pour on the Power!!!:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts