Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm new to my Kingpin but in the UK this 20-40 is hard to find and expensive. Can I use 20-50 or 10-40 semi? Harleys run happily on 20-50 so why not Victory?

If this topic has been done to death then apologies and direct me to the link!

Thanks and hi to all

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Not sure about the weight question but in regard to HD running it. HD's are not Vic's and are very very different. First off the tranny and engine share the same oil on a Vic.

What may work on an HD may not work for Vic.

I'm sure Kevin will chime in about the weight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ive been using Amsoil 10-40 for awhile now and really like it. In the summer time 20-50 is fine, its more of a hot weather oil. 10-40 is alittle better for cooler weather and wont be as thick and protect alittle more with cold starts beings it will pump through the engine sooner then a 20 will when cold. Both weights are fine during warm weather but i would recommend a 10-40 for the cooler weather. A good oil with out friction modifiers will be fine. Most car oils add friction modifiers to be slicker but all that will do in any wet clutch setup is make the clutch slip. Theres a fine line between slick and too slick with any wet clutch system and ive ran Amsoil for years in all my MX bikes and never had a clutch slip. Yes its synthetic but it doesnt have friction modifiers in it and its designed for wet clutches. A good oil changed on a regular basis is all you need. 2500 miles is what vic recommends to change at. I usually get 2500-3000 out of my change. I usually now when its time to change it cause the tranny starts to shift alittle different so i know the oil is breaking down and its time for new stuff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mobile 1 V twin oil 20-50 is JASO MA rated and Victory says that is an acceptable alternative.

I am going to try in my 08 Vegas Low with a stage 1 kit

Yep that oil will work fine for you. Its similar to amsoil beings its a full synthetic oil but it has no friction modifiers in it so that the clutch will not slip. Also motorcycle oils are higher in phosphates and zinc to help with the shearing of the oil that the tranny does to the oil. Motor cycle oils are also stable above 250 degrees unlike most car oils that break down around that temp. Like before, just find a oil that is desighned for motorcycles with a wet clutch and change it when you are suppose to and you are good. As for the weight in oils like i said either one is fine but a 10-40 would be better recommended if you plan on doin any riding when its below 50. Other wise 20-50 will have alittle more protection on those hot 90-100 degree days.
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

Yes I'm not going to use Victory oil simply because it will cost me £48 delivered (about $75) and I really can't believe that 10-40 or 20-50 motorcycle oil is going to do any harm. If I lived near a Victory dealer then maybe! I'll report back if any issues arise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep that oil will work fine for you. Its similar to amsoil beings its a full synthetic oil but it has no friction modifiers in it so that the clutch will not slip. Also motorcycle oils are higher in phosphates and zinc to help with the shearing of the oil that the tranny does to the oil. Motor cycle oils are also stable above 250 degrees unlike most car oils that break down around that temp. Like before, just find a oil that is desighned for motorcycles with a wet clutch and change it when you are suppose to and you are good. As for the weight in oils like i said either one is fine but a 10-40 would be better recommended if you plan on doin any riding when its below 50. Other wise 20-50 will have alittle more protection on those hot 90-100 degree days.
Good luck
I live in Tampa Florida......its 89 today LOL
It might hit the 40s a couple times a year....average temp is closer to 90 so I am going to use the 20-50

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in Tampa Florida......its 89 today LOL
It might hit the 40s a couple times a year....average temp is closer to 90 so I am going to use the 20-50
Ya i seen it said you were from tampa FL and figured you dont see to much cold weather. LOL But with him being in the UK i wasnt sure what temps he was gonna be in.
Here is a break down of all the leading motorcycle oils for 2009-2010.
Its both SAE 40 and SAE 50, pretty cool to see how all the top oils stack up against each other. I was actually surprised about some of the oils in the tests.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
Overall in the 50 wgt catagory amsoil and mobil 1 vtwin where the top 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok So I did the swap...in went Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50 with 3600 miles on my 08 Vegas Low
I also put in new plugs at the same time.

As soon as i fired it up to make sure all was sealed I immediatley noticed (heard) a much quieter motor. The valve train (my bigggest bitch about the Victory motor) was 10 times quieter

So off for the road test.......Yes it shifts cleaner and yes i can find neutral easier

But what about the clutch after running it for 30 minutes at 50mph......
I took it to a newly paved road and from a rolling start I pulled in the clutch rev'd the motor up dump the clutch and away went the back tire up in smoke.....no slipping there.....so lets try a dead stop launch...
rev'd her up held it steady towards the upper mid to upper rpm range and dump the clutch and no clutch slippage......(tire smoking yes)
so into 2nd at the upper end of the torque range and back tire broke loose for a second

So in my opinion so far I see no clutch slippage engine is quieter and engine temp is about the same as before.....240f

I will update in 500 miles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ok So I did the swap...in went Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50 with 3600 miles on my 08 Vegas Low

As soon as i fired it up to make sure all was sealed I immediatley noticed (heard) a much quieter motor. The valve train (my bigggest bitch about the Victory motor) was 10 times quieter

So off for the road test.......Yes it shifts cleaner and yes i can find neutral easier

I took it to a newly paved road and from a rolling start I pulled in the clutch rev'd the motor up dump the clutch and away went the back tire up in smoke.....no slipping there.....so lets try a dead stop launch...
rev'd her up held it steady towards the upper mid to upper rpm range and dump the clutch and no clutch slippage......(tire smoking yes)
so into 2nd at the upper end of the torque range and back tire broke loose for a second

So in my opinion so far I see no clutch slippage engine is quieter and engine temp is about the same as before.....240f

that is a fair attempt to check the clutch. In order to know if you have a slipping problem it would take some time for the new oil to get into the clutch. Remember the plates are very close together so it will take time for the oil to get into those small areas. 3rd or 4th gear is the gear I use to test a clutch.

The good part of the Victory's transmission is that the gears are evenly spaced through out the entire range which takes a lot of pressure off the clutch.
When I finally got enough miles on my XC to try it out a some I thought the clutch was slipping because of the close space ratio's of the gears. Found out quick it was not slipping.

A big + for Victory.

just a thought
dd

·
Registered
5 Posts
that is a fair attempt to check the clutch. In order to know if you have a slipping problem it would take some time for the new oil to get into the clutch. Remember the plates are very close together so it will take time for the oil to get into those small areas. 3rd or 4th gear is the gear I use to test a clutch.

The good part of the Victory's transmission is that the gears are evenly spaced through out the entire range which takes a lot of pressure off the clutch.
When I finally got enough miles on my XC to try it out a some I thought the clutch was slipping because of the close space ratio's of the gears. Found out quick it was not slipping.

A big + for Victory.

just a thought
dd
I hear ya.......used to run a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki shop outside of KS MO.......back in the late 70's to 86

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Isn't this what you DO NOT want to do with your clutch? Won't dumping it like this trash it?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I spoke with my dealer in Phoenix. He said that Victory would not cover the clutch if they found out anyone was using a full synthetic like Amsoil 20-50. Apparently a full syn is too good and leaves open the possibility of clutch slipping and burning up the plates. I do not know anymore than that and just throwing it out there because, well, I'm not a dealer...and after reading this thread, I figured I should add it. Maybe someone who has contacts in Ma Vic may wanna check that out to see if it is bonafide or not....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
PierceEye was that shop out in Gradview or Belton Missouri by chance? Was it off of I-71. If so I use to go by there when I was a kid. Many years ago.

·
12,984 Posts
I spoke with my dealer in Phoenix. He said that Victory would not cover the clutch if they found out anyone was using a full synthetic like Amsoil 20-50. Apparently a full syn is too good and leaves open the possibility of clutch slipping and burning up the plates. I do not know anymore than that and just throwing it out there because, well, I'm not a dealer...and after reading this thread, I figured I should add it. Maybe someone who has contacts in Ma Vic may wanna check that out to see if it is bonafide or not....
Your dealer is lying to you. All clutch material is designed to work with synthetic oils.
Your warranty does not cover the clutch in the first place.
Go to top of page and click on forms and scroll down to bottom where you'll find oil post and read.
You'll find every one likes what ever oil they chose and for the most part there all using a oil filter other the vic

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Historically; some people have had trouble with the clutch slipping with the Amsoil and some haven't. No known cause known but I'd stab a guess at the condition of the clutch at the time. If it's getting borderline and not slipping with a standard semi-synth but does with Amsoil; it would fall in line with what the Vic dealer said about it being "too good". In the early days of Mobil 1 some mechanics were claiming the oil was so slippery that it prevent bearings from turning so it would wear down one spot in the bearing. True? Who knows. To this day the first question asked when someone says their clutch is slipping is "what oil do you use?".

As for using 20-50. Lots of people do with no apparent issues. I happen to believe what "Bob The Oil Guy" website says about using a higher weight oil than what's recommended. That is; don't do it. The tolerances in the motor are different for a Vic so using a high weight oil might shorten the life of the motor. The key word is "might". Maybe will maybe won't. I think Amsoil has a 20-40 weight. I'd be more inclined to use it over the 20-50 if I were to use Amsoil.

Also synth oil and dino oil dissipate heat differently. That may be why Victory recommends a semi-synth. Together they compliment each other in the Vic motor.

Lastly; oil is probably the most debated subject about combustion engines there is. Just about everyone has a preference for whatever reason. I guess that's why there are still so many different oils in use. I mix the Valvoline synth motorcycle oil with the Valvoline dino motorcycle oil. Seems to work well for me. I've done the same thing with the Rotella/Shell oil with good results. Rotella makes a very good 20-40 semi-synth but it's only available at Tractor Supply stores and few others that don't advertise it. It's completely compatible with the Victory motor.

Disclaimer: The above is simply my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok I'm new to my Kingpin but in the UK this 20-40 is hard to find and expensive. Can I use 20-50 or 10-40 semi? Harleys run happily on 20-50 so why not Victory?

If this topic has been done to death then apologies and direct me to the link!

Thanks and hi to all
Yes you can use 20w50. Unless you plan to ride in below 0 degrees weather the 20w of 20w50 will provide all the lubrication you need during initial startup.

Yamaha used to recommend 20w40 a few years back and then they changed there supplier and now recommend 20w50 oil. Victory might do the same.

The only thing I've found out about motorcycle wet clutches is if ours is the type that has metal and fiber plates then an oil that contains moly could fill up the porous surface of the metal plates and cause some slippage. So, maybe look and see what the manufacturer is putting in the oil.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
+1 to what A-Dog said. If that's what's available; definitely use it.

In the "old days" we use to put a leather sleeve on the oil coolers when it got cold before they started using thermostats in them. I don't think Victory uses a thermostat so maybe some kind of cover over the oil cooler when it gets cold would be a good idea. I guess that depends on how cold it is. Maybe some electrical tape over half of it would do when using the 20-50. I dunno but I think it would be good to keep it as warm as possible without being too hot. Again; JMHO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts