Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had my jackpot for a couple years really havn't put that many miles on but, I can't stand how tough it can be sometimes to control. So I found a pretty decent deal on a highball which I wish I looked at before it got the jackpot. The only thing is im trying to decide if I should throw some metzler's on the jackpot and see if that makes a big difference or not, just wondering if there's guys out there that have done this and say it really makes a huge difference. I love the look of the bike and it would save me a couple grand if I just change the tires.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
just put a Pirelli Night Dragon 90/90/21 on the front of my Vegas and its sweet, less following of road grooves that 21 inch fronts are famous for, quite soft rubber thats great for grip, will see how the mileage is.
Metzeler Marathons are quite a hard compound for good mileage, maybe a bit too hard for a 21" front.
A mate who's ridden most of the Victory models said to me when I was thinking of buying mine buying mine that "youve gotta ride em like a dirt bike", make em go where you want to, theyre quite a big heavy bike though its down low,
You can't let the bike ride you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ill check out the nite dragons, that might solve a little slop in the front but im talking about the rear. I was just going to leave the front dunlop since it still has plenty of life left.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Ok ill check out the nite dragons, that might solve a little slop in the front but im talking about the rear. I was just going to leave the front dunlop since it still has plenty of life left.
Yeah my front Dunlop (presume original) had 21,000 kilometers on it when I took it off, and was still a tiny bit off the Tread Wear Indicators.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
early fat tires poor

i had read that Vic had dunlop redesign their tires for them. on that note i test rode an 08 hammer, felt like it had a square car tire on it, forum members told me ride a newer model, WELL i could not believe how great the 13 hammer felt, yes it rode hard but cornered well, metzlers said to be better, and a little lighter as well. i got a 240 night dragon for my hammer more traction but less wear, not installed yet. i will be removing my 2,000 mile OE rubber this winter + will sell them cheap. dunlops ride harder but wear well, it depends what your lookin for. i would suggest a test ride on a newer jackpot to feel the difference, when its warmer of course!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
So ive had my jackpot for a couple years really havn't put that many miles on but, I can't stand how tough it can be sometimes to control. So I found a pretty decent deal on a highball which I wish I looked at before it got the jackpot. The only thing is im trying to decide if I should throw some metzler's on the jackpot and see if that makes a big difference or not, just wondering if there's guys out there that have done this and say it really makes a huge difference. I love the look of the bike and it would save me a couple grand if I just change the tires.
You dont say what you currently have. If you have the stock dunlop, then I think you will see the improvement to either Metz or Avons will be massive- the reason being the profile of the dunlop is not concave, so turn in is not even.....that V **** is for track tyres....not sure why dunlop went with that profile. The Metzellers or Avons are basically concave and better suited for a heavy cruiser. You will dramatically improve the performance, and your confidence.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have the stock dunlop on it

·
Registered
11 Posts
merzelers are superior to dunlop!

I put the 250 dunlop on the bike and from the beginning it was hard to handle in the corners. The tire wanted to keep the bike upright. I put on the 260 metz and was amazed at the difference. It handles like a normal bike! No problems in the corners anymore!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I put the 250 dunlop on the bike and from the beginning it was hard to handle in the corners. The tire wanted to keep the bike upright. I put on the 260 metz and was amazed at the difference. It handles like a normal bike! No problems in the corners anymore!
Yup. Those dunlops suck- they make great car tires, not so sure about bike tires.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
OR YOU CAN DROP DOWN TO A 240 METZELERthumb up

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Got an OE Dunlop 180 on tje back of 2010 Vegas and its ok
Went for a Pirelli night dragon on the front and its ok too,
Possibly go to a rear night dragon when the Dunlops worn out

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I went from done flop's to Avon Cobras on my HD bagger and it handled sooooo much better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I think im going to step down to a 240 (the tires are cheaper and more to choose from), so im thinking between the metzler or the perilli night dragon. Both ive heard good things about, I also read that article about the night dragons having more of a foot pattern. Anyone try both?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
night dragon's on!

just had a set of night dragons installed while doing dual disc upgrade on 13 hammer, its painful winter in Pa so i have yet to try them. went with the 240 rear difference is little. profile is more curved for performance. prolly get about 6,000 from what i read. metzlers prolly last longer but slightly less performance, i will post later as i ride.
[/URL][/IMG] pic of rear + front installed
[/URL][/IMG] either metz or pirelli WILL ride better, pirelli's are a little lighter, about 3 lb less in the rear, a good thing. my 2,080 mile OE dunlops are for sale CHEAP!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! Thoes look way more rounded, let me know what you think asap! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
sporty tyres

i put a straightedge across the rear + it was easy to see the difference. when i rolled off the lift table immediately it seemed to roll easier. avon's as well are liked by many for better traction with wear at 5-6 reported. its fact more traction-softer compounds= less wear + vice versa. even with todays advanced tires that is a FACT! how,where + xtra weight all factor into tire mileage. weatherman is callin for 6-10 sun night to monday, only big piles are left after warming we had but thats over, zero tonight, it will be over soon i hope. global warming is WHERE!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i put a straightedge across the rear + it was easy to see the difference. when i rolled off the lift table immediately it seemed to roll easier. avon's as well are liked by many for better traction with wear at 5-6 reported. its fact more traction-softer compounds= less wear + vice versa. even with todays advanced tires that is a FACT! how,where + xtra weight all factor into tire mileage. weatherman is callin for 6-10 sun night to monday, only big piles are left after warming we had but thats over, zero tonight, it will be over soon i hope. global warming is WHERE!!
Any update on the tires?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
pics of pirelli's installed

here are some pics as i finished the dual disc setup and had the night dragons installed, my 2280 mile OE dunlops for sale $50 F + $70 rear + shipping
[/URL][/IMG] and the rear
[/URL][/IMG] pics of takeoffs available + will incert a proper for sale add, front rotor with pads $75 also

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Had a metz 280 on my Hammer, loved it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts