Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two older 05 Victory 8 balls with lots of modifications.

I have talked both sellers down to 9,000. I need some opinions as to sound whether or not either of these bikes need to be tuned.

I am afraid of buying a 92 motor, over the 100 or even 106.

Is there any significant changes over these motors that would make me really need a bigger or newer victory motor.

I love both these bikes almost equally. I'm just looking for some extra opinions on performance and tuning. And just advise in general.

First we have this bike there is a video in the add too listen to how this bike sounds:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/3786865521.html

Then there is this bike:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/3784999294.html

There is also a video at the bottom of this add.

Any advise as to how they sound or whether or not I really need to look for a newer more stock motor would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Can't really tell, as neither owner revs them up. Both bikes are idling way too low. The first bike sounds like it has no baffles at all in the exhaust... Those Slash pipes without baffles are terrible on torque loss.

Like this:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't really tell, as neither owner revs them up. Both bikes are idling way too low.
I know huh, I totally 100% agree. I'm like give em some gas already. :rolleyes:

I love both bikes but I can get a 2012 High Ball for the same price with minimal mods mostly stock. 9,500 for the 2012 High Ball.

Or 9,000 for either of these bikes. I know it would cost me 1,000's to get the mods close to either of those bikes.

Are the mods worth the decrease in years and performance? I simply cannot make up my mind.

I have a question for you, how hard is it to turn the idle up on these vics?

I currently own a vulcan 900 and its as simple as a high speed idle nute. I can turn mine up while riding. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So who are you? A rider? A shade tree wrench? A guy with enough disposable income to know what you want and be willing to pay a local wrench to provide it?
Just saying I buy bikes like those to sell and sell quick. That guy with the clutch lever is taking a thousand dollar hit over a hundred dollar fix.
I love guys like that. By the looks of that lever the wall in his garage was horizontal and he pushed the the lever into it somewhere over 30 MPH. So if he's telling me a little white lie, I am that much more inclined to chop a little bit more off the price.
You got the other guy down 1500 off his fairy tale. Good work. That's how this stuff works.
Anyway, buying a fully customized bike has a fatal drawback to a guy with a tool box. All that work is somebody elses. It either
A. is not up to the standards of the new owner which means it is a bunch of parts that you just bought and are just as quickly stripping off and piling in the corner or
B. is top shelf stuff well implemented which deprives you of any common sense reason to make it your own.

If you buy it for resale, buy the black for a couple of reasons.
1. It's black. Always a good seller. The other bike is saleable but the market for wild paint is less than for badass black.
2. It's got easy stuff to fix. The owner wants it gone or he would fix that stuff himself. That kind of thinking would get me to show up at his door with 85 in my hand, maybe 80 with the other five in my pocket JIC.

If I was buying for keeps and planned to go custom, I would buy the '12. It's new, not somebody else's project/headache, has warranty, is a clean slate to work from. Not that either of the hot rods wouldn't be a nice addition, like you say, they got parts. Thing is it's not likely they are the parts I would have chosen but these are just the musings of a guy with a tool box.

Buy the bird that sings to you. No matter what kind of misery it deals after, it's better to pay out for something that grabs you than to be stuck with a "sensible" money pit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know huh, I totally 100% agree. I'm like give em some gas already. :rolleyes:

I love both bikes but I can get a 2012 High Ball for the same price with minimal mods mostly stock. 9,500 for the 2012 High Ball.

Or 9,000 for either of these bikes. I know it would cost me 1,000's to get the mods close to either of those bikes.

Are the mods worth the decrease in years and performance? I simply cannot make up my mind.

I have a question for you, how hard is it to turn the idle up on these vics?

I currently own a vulcan 900 and its as simple as a high speed idle nute. I can turn mine up while riding. :)

The thing about modifying a bike and reselling it is that you can never expect to get the money back. IMO I wouldn't pay over 7k for either one. There are too many deals out there to want to over pay. To give you a reference point I bought my 07 Hammer in March of 2012 the bike had 7,500 miles and was modified with Ness bars, grips, wires, full exhaust, custom tune, fuel controller, and some other stuff and I paid $8,000 for the bike. If it were me I would go with the Highball cheers

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
For $9K I'd let both of these owners keep their bikes and buy a new one with a warranty for just a little more money. Then make the modifications you want instead of relying on what others have done.

YMMV,

·
Registered
659 Posts
With that price difference I would say buy a new one and make it your own, and potentially avoid someone else's headache.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info guys.

Pop:

I am only buying to make it my own. This would be to buy and keep. I don't have a lot of extra money. As a matter of fact this is the most I have ever spent on a bike. I'm kinda nervous and didn't want to go from a 06 Vulcan 900 to a 05 anything. I do like the modifications of both bikes and would do them if the money warranted it. That is the only reason I was looking at that old of a year.

I will probably keep looking, the guy with the 10,000 dollar 2012 High Ball is probably going to be selling his bike today. I would of loved that bike. I'm selling my Vulcan 900 this weekend. And I have approx 6,000 in savings. Leaving me broke. :eek:

But all in all, I'm all about the newer bikes. I was just nervous since I spent 3,000 in upgrades on my Vulcan over the last year. And new buying a new bike with stock parts would be another major project to upgrade.

Here is the Vulcan I'm leaving for a new Vic:

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3758507349/dgzrn

Thanks to all you guys for help and advice in buying a new bike. thumb up

·
Registered
265 Posts
While I consider the Freedom 92/5 the BEST setup Victory every produced, the owners of the used bike are WAY over the top on their prices, IMHO. In my mind, the used bikes are not worth more than 6K, maybe 7K IF you REALY like one or the other. The bikes are basically 8 years old and, while that doesn't phase me in the slightest on a Vic, it kills resale.

In my mind, buy the new if you are already committed to that price point. Yes, you take the new bike resale loss but you pick up the warrantee (for what its worth) and everything is exactly as it should be THEN make it your own. (Plus you get the fancy, handy-dandy new multifunction speedometer.)

BTW, money talks and poop walks so I'd use Pop's recommendation with whatever one you decide on.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I'd go to a Victory dealer you know and trust. See what non current bikes are available and make a deal on one of those bikes. That's what I just did. I wanted a 2012 CT in pearl white. My dealer found one at a dealer a few states away and it's on its way now.

Polaris had some good interest rates (2.99%), a two year warranty, plus several rebates ($750+$500+$50) on the puchase of any non 2013 model. Plus, the dealer sold it to me for barely more than I could have bought a 'used' 2012.

Keep looking and buy the newest 106 Vic you can find.

YMMV,

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had an 06 JP and dealer wanted me to consign. I was not sure how long I would be without a bike. Another dealer took it n trade. They still have it, not sold while I am enjoying new 2013 Vision. You are in the drivers seat on used bikes

·
Registered
659 Posts
Went from the VN900 to the VN2000 to the XC to the XCT.

Still have the VN900, have about 40,000 miles on it, and still love it for what it is.

Buy new or nearly new, and only if its a great deal on what you really want. Enjoy the ride while you make it your own. That's part of the fun anyway.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd go to a Victory dealer you know and trust. See what non current bikes are available and make a deal on one of those bikes. That's what I just did. I wanted a 2012 CT in pearl white. My dealer found one at a dealer a few states away and it's on its way now.

Polaris had some good interest rates (2.99%), a two year warranty, plus several rebates ($750+$500+$50) on the puchase of any non 2013 model. Plus, the dealer sold it to me for barely more than I could have bought a 'used' 2012.

Keep looking and buy the newest 106 Vic you can find.

YMMV,
I noticed the 2013 Victory 8 Balls are selling for 12,500 brand new? What would a 2012 Victory 8 Ball sell for brand new at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
AzDave, if you can swing it, consignment is a good idea. The dealer will take $500 to $1000 to sell your bike but they do that stuff every day. They will get enough for your bike to more than pay for that service. I just did that with a 2007 Yamaha and got as much as I could have ever gotten on line into my pocket, after I paid them for the service. I am no bike/car salesman and I know it.
On the other hand, I already had another ride, so waiting for the sale to complete was no big deal for me. I was willing to wait to get my price and the dealer who sold it for me knew that. It really helps if you are both on the same page.
If you have no other way to get the new ride but to trade or sell the old one, you are in a tight spot that I do not envy. In that case a trade is probably going to be far better than a consignment. A private sale can be even better but that means acting as your own salesman and waiting for the sale to happen before you go buy the bike you want. If sales are slow, that wait could be very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AzDave, if you can swing it, consignment is a good idea. The dealer will take $500 to $1000 to sell your bike but they do that stuff every day. They will get enough for your bike to more than pay for that service. I just did that with a 2007 Yamaha and got as much as I could have ever gotten on line into my pocket, after I paid them for the service. I am no bike/car salesman and I know it.
On the other hand, I already had another ride, so waiting for the sale to complete was no big deal for me. I was willing to wait to get my price and the dealer who sold it for me knew that. It really helps if you are both on the same page.
If you have no other way to get the new ride but to trade or sell the old one, you are in a tight spot that I do not envy. In that case a trade is probably going to be far better than a consignment. A private sale can be even better but that means acting as your own salesman and waiting for the sale to happen before you go buy the bike you want. If sales are slow, that wait could be very frustrating.
My chance's of going to Arizona to buy a bike are less than 1%. If I haven't sold my bike by the end of this month. I am going to the Victory Dealership for the Ride day. Where you have the opportunity to ride every newer Vic model. I will talk about consignment but am very leery about losing money. I'm never going to make payments. If I don't have the cash to buy a bike outright. Then I cannot afford one. I would be interested in seeing if they have any 2012 left over's brand new 8 balls for 11000 or 11,500? Considering the 2013 models are only 12,500. That's kind of what I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went from the VN900 to the VN2000 to the XC to the XCT.

Still have the VN900, have about 40,000 miles on it, and still love it for what it is.

Buy new or nearly new, and only if its a great deal on what you really want. Enjoy the ride while you make it your own. That's part of the fun anyway.
You owned the VN2000 and went to the XC and XCT, What was wrong with the VN2000. That's a bad boy right there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
"the previous owner said this was from scraping along a wall while parking the bike."

If anyone believes that crap, they get what they deserve. The bike has been dropped on the left hand side. You dont grind down a brake level while parking against a wall...

So, I would buy the other bike, simply because the paint is better, and the owner isnt full of ****.

I just bought my 2003 Vegas last Sept. I wouldnt worry about the 92 motor... Mine is solid anyway...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"the previous owner said this was from scraping along a wall while parking the bike."

If anyone believes that crap, they get what they deserve. The bike has been dropped on the left hand side. You dont grind down a brake level while parking against a wall...

So, I would buy the other bike, simply because the paint is better, and the owner isnt full of ****.

I just bought my 2003 Vegas last Sept. I wouldnt worry about the 92 motor... Mine is solid anyway...
What I don't understand is why he didn't replace the 20 dollar levers and the end of the grip for under 50 dollars total. That's really silly. On the black bike the there is also water spots on the rims that he couldn't remove. Makes you wonder about all of it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts