Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few threads about the poor resale of Victory's. Compared to the MoCo, maybe so. However, I have "casually" been looking at the X bikes and Visions and a few things jump out at me.

1-When you do a search for used Vics, there are a ton of Kingpins of all years and a ton of Vegas and quite a few V92s--a very few Judges and Ball models.

2-Not many Visions and X bikes out there in the used market--ANYWHERE. I MEAN AT ALL! What used bikes are mostly in the dealers, too. There are as many private sellers on the Victory forums as there are on Cycle trader. The problem is they are all 600 miles away or more.

So if supply and demand is true, why is the private reseller value so poor when the market is so thin? This should be a good subject to kick around.

I guess it is the lack of popularity?

What are your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have read a few threads about the poor resale of Victory's. Compared to the MoCo, maybe so.
I've always bought bikes that appeal to me and have never been concerned with what they'll be worth when I've finished with them. And it seems that I'm always out of step with the hip toys.

I don't see myself getting any younger so I reckon now that I've got the best cruiser made for my needs, there is nowhere else to go. I'll just ride it until it's worth nothing unless I end up trading it on a new one with a nicer paint job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Who wants to get rid of it

I never bought a bike thinking about getting rid if it. I have bought and sold a lot of motorcycles and got what the market would bear at the time of sale. In between the purchase and the sale I had a motorcycle that I liked and rode every chance I could. Now that I have my Jackpot I think this is the last bike that I will own, unless I add a Vic Bagger along side of it. Purchase what you like, ride it like you stole it and have fun. If you buy a Victory you will probably never want to sell it BUT if YOU HAVE TO then get all you can get for it and don't look back. Go forward with the thought that while you had it you loved it and had fun with it and you can't put a price on that. Life is way to short and complicated now a days to worry about what your Toys will be worth down the road. Use them have fun with them and IF that day comes to pass them on just do it

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a conversation about this with someone the other day. I had someone offer me 9k for my bike which on a decent day goes for 8.5k. I told this person I wasn't looking to sell my bike. Then I thought if someone offered me 12k for my bike I wouldn't sell it. To me there is just nothing out there I would really want in that price range. I do see that Victory bikes sell for less then what the H-D models are going for. A comparable bike to my Hammer would be the VRod which 9 year old VRods are selling for 9k on the market still. I say all the better, I like the fact I don't see my bike everywhere I go.

A lot of people on here will trash talk H-D and the other brands. When ever I go anywhere my bike gets the most attention from guys riding a H-D. How a bike looks, how it rides, and how reliable the bike is are the things that matter the most to me.cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
You're going to find that not many members on these forums are going to be concerned with resale value.

Also, don't forget there's been many frequent changes in the Freedom engines over a very short period of time. I know when I was shopping for my KP I wouldn't have gotten anything but the 106", so that is what I see as one of the biggest reasons driving the used values down on these bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
It's really no different for the H-D's. Compare prices of a 2008 full dresser to a 2009 and up. Seems the 2008 and older go for a lot less. I try to buy new for as close as I can to used pricing and simply enjoy the ride and the experience of owning what I want.

All the best,

Mark

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have ALWAYS found deals on HD's,,, asking price and selling price are two different things...I have normally gotten HD's for 1-2K under low book.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want everybody to miss my point--- especially on the X bikes.

My point is this--- I can't find any, so WHY is the resale so low? They are very few and far between.

You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a dozen Harleys that are for sale, but try to find a good deal in your area on a Cross Country.

BTW-- I never take into consideration resale when I am buying a bike. It is only when I decide I want something different that it becomes a problem. I'm sorry--- it's what I do. My wife has been trying to fix me for years. :crzy:

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's why I buy pre-owned bikes from private sellers. I bought my 2007 Kingpin Tour for $2,000 less than I could find ANY KP tour for sale within 1,000 miles of me and mine was only 70 miles away! I paid less than 40% of the MSRP of this bike when it was new and it only had 19,500 miles on it when I bought it, never been dropped or abused. That did seem like an super great deal but now I am noticing that Victory doesn't hold value that well.

I'm not concerned...I plan to keep this one as long as I can (or the wife lets me) ride! :D cheers

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a conversation with a friend of a friend that comes on some of our rides - he has a Harley electra glide - he says he looked at Vics and did'nt buy because of resale value. I told him I plan on keeping my X road til the wheels fall off - an I would not go with outdated technology to recapture a few bucks. Also - I don't think he considered the difference in maintinance costs between HD and Vics. Oh well, his bike is pretty and starts up every time........to each their own.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the reason you don't find any is your location. I just did a quick search on cycle trader and found 30 preowned Vics, 5 of which were XCs, within 100 miles of me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Numbers too small here to get any idea but I can say the s/h value of HDs is nothing to what it used to be. They've long since stopped making too few bikes so as to keep the market hungry. HD are as common as Ford.

Victory on the other hand are a rare sight and I'm getting used to twenty-questions every time I fill up. Not had a negative comment about them yet.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the reason you don't find any is your location. I just did a quick search on cycle trader and found 30 preowned Vics, 5 of which were XCs, within 100 miles of me.

I think you are correct. The midwest, west coast and Florida seem to have a strong presence.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sure Victory is more well known in the mid-west and Ohio since they are made in Iowa. Here in the Mid-Atlantic they are rare to see on the roads and I do not know of a single Victory dealer within 60 miles of me. In fact a google search returns just 6 dealers in my entire state of Virginia who sell Victory. There are over 30 HD dealers in the state.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
There seems to be a consensus here, that Victorys are bought for intellectual reasons as opposed to H-Ds. I'm not the only one who did exhaustive research before signing on the line. I don't know how long many of you intend to keep your present bike(s), but I tend to hang on to my bikes and cars for 10+ years, so I gotta make certain they are a good fit.
It's also apparent that Vic owners buy their bikes to ride them, in contrast to the low miles I see on the used H-Ds that are for sale - they seem to be revered, rather than ridden.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I don't consider resale cause I have zero interest in selling my rig. The only thing that would Chang that for me would be if momma decided she wants to tag along more after. I'd then look at a CCT, but she'd have to awful serious.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I also research many bikes, especially the X models and bought what suited me for a price I was willing to pay. I also looked at the resale value but it didn't really matter because I usually keep my vehicles for a long time and will keep my XR for atleast 5 years but probably 10 years or more if it treats me right. I look on CR and fleabay every now and then and you are right, not many X bikes go up for sale and the XR's are even more rare to see for sale.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you can't find any to buy then it really doesn't matter how low or high the resale value is.

If you are buying anything with wheels as an investment, it's time to get a new financial advisor. Lot of folks spent big dollars on choppers a couple of years back and some even sold them after riding them for 1000 miles and did ok on their investment. Try to sell your badass raked and stretched 300 rear chopper now.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I don't want everybody to miss my point--- especially on the X bikes.

My point is this--- I can't find any, so WHY is the resale so low? They are very few and far between.

You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a dozen Harleys that are for sale, but try to find a good deal in your area on a Cross Country.

BTW-- I never take into consideration resale when I am buying a bike. It is only when I decide I want something different that it becomes a problem. I'm sorry--- it's what I do. My wife has been trying to fix me for years. :crzy:
The cat flinging will have you discovering that the HD sellers are asking WAY too much and THAT is one of the reasons there are SO MANY available. Sellers simply aren't being realistic.

There are so few Victorys in the market because there were so few originally produced (for every 40 Harley Street Glides, there is only ONE Cross Country) so that is why you can't find any. As to pricing... well, the asking price on those Victorys is probably THE price you are going to have to pay to get one so you have to discount the HD's ASKING price by a couple of grand or more and THEN compare it to the asking price of the Victory and the prices will come more in line. Now, the Victory's WILL still be lower because... well, they did START lower as well, didn't they. Equally eqiupped XC was $5K less than the same Street Glide so that's around a 20% discount BRAND NEW. That same percentage continues in the aftermarket. A SG sold for $22K whereas a new XC (in blue) likely sold for $17K. A used 3-year old (2010) SG can be had for $14K. A used 2010 XC can be had for $12K so the differential is lower than you might think. Of course, since so few were produced, you WILL likely have to travel to find them. I did that EXACT comparison about 6 months ago for a buddy of mine who was interested in a HD Road Glide. I found him a '10 with under 3K miles for $14K & found him a XC (with trunk) for $12K. He is the type that could not defend buying ANYTHING other than a Harley to others so of course... he bought the Harley even though it had a 96ci engine with SIGNIFICANTLY lower power, no trunk (it was a RGC), no cruise control, etc. So, due to ignorance and "image" he paid $2K more for the wimpier HD but felt that he would not have to "defend" his choice to others and that was (to him) worth the extra $2K. Of course, I make him think twice about it EVERY TIME we ride as he can NEVER keep up...:ltr: Some people will pay more than they should for a local bike. Since there are more local HDs, this also skews the results there as well.

If you are want to see an accurate representation of supply & demand, just try and find a '09 Ness Jackpot for the same price as a '09 CVo Fat boy of the same year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts