Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you shifting at the right time? at the right speed... winding out each time, too early, etc.

Do you brake correctly? front or rear only, both brakes at same time every time

Do you gas up correctly? upright,leaning over, smoking cig or weed

Cornering? Lean into it or stay upright... plus giving it throttle as you enter curve

Both feet down at a stop? one on the rear brake or the other on shifter or both feet up on pegs :D

Downshift to slow or pull clutch in and downshift into first while rolling to a stop?

Shift while turning? before or after or does it even matter

Ride in a vehicles blind side for fun or stay in front or behind it?

Ride with traffic speeds or ride too fast/slow?

Toot your horn often or crack the throttle for attention?

Wave with two fingers pointing down/sideways or always with middle finger only? well they can't really see your fingers anyway :D

Turn around to look while merging onto highway or use rearview mirror only?

Park sideways on a hill or up and down? keep it in neutral or in gear

Split lanes even though not legal in your state?

·
Registered
632 Posts
According to the general consciences;
If i really knew what i was doing, I wound't be riding a bike at all..:eek

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Sounds like a Pulstar Plugs question Dill, what are you on?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sounds like a Pulstar Plugs question Dill, what are you on?
He is probably hitting the bottle again , and will soon be shooting something ....:ltr:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Your town's name is going to your "head". (Clinton)

You need to worry about your riding. Not mine. :angel :laugh

Are you shifting at the right time? at the right speed... winding out each time, too early, etc.

Cornering? Lean into it or stay upright... plus giving it throttle as you enter curve

Both feet down at a stop? one on the rear brake or the other on shifter or both feet up on pegs :D

Downshift to slow or pull clutch in and downshift into first while rolling to a stop?

Wave with two fingers pointing down/sideways or always with middle finger only? well they can't really see your fingers anyway :D

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'll take a crack at it..

Are you shifting at the right time? at the right speed... winding out each time, too early, etc. No way to answer this realistically other than to say that I tend to NOT wind the bike out. Certain peeps in my little riders' club are apparently labeling me as "aggressive" - but they rarely get within 10 mph of the speed limit :laugh

Do you brake correctly? front or rear only, both brakes at same time every time. Front and rear virtually every time.

Do you gas up correctly? upright,leaning over, smoking cig or weed. Upright, a few wiggles to make sure there's no air pockets.. (force of habit- I seriously doubt my tank is prone to those) Don't smoke.

Cornering? Lean into it or stay upright... plus giving it throttle as you enter curve Countersteering. Period. I suppose most would relate that to leaning. My bars don't move back and forth much outside of a parking area..

Both feet down at a stop? one on the rear brake or the other on shifter or both feet up on pegs. Depends on terrain. Uphill stop usually means left foot down, holding with rear brake.

Downshift to slow or pull clutch in and downshift into first while rolling to a stop?. Depends on what speed I am slowing down from. The higher the speed the more I will use the gears. Sometimes a combo. Downshift 1 gear, and then clutch in. (short distance slowdowns)

Shift while turning? before or after or does it even matter. *shrugs* Never really thought about it.

Ride in a vehicles blind side for fun or stay in front or behind it? I try to stagger with all vehicles. Impossible to avoid being alongside at all times, but I am aware of it and try to minimize.

Ride with traffic speeds or ride too fast/slow? If traffic ain't able to maintain the speed limit or a little more- I will do what I can to get around them. I'm happy at about 5 over- and will open it up slightly more for periods when it's clear.. Most of these dramatically slower curve speed signs don't get much attention from me unless it says like 20 or less... that's often a fairly serious warning.

Toot your horn often or crack the throttle for attention? No. The bike gathers plenty of it for me.

Wave with two fingers pointing down/sideways or always with middle finger only? well they can't really see your fingers anyway. Arm down unless I am caught off guard and try to wave quick.. then I might have my arm higher than I intended..

Turn around to look while merging onto highway or use rearview mirror only? Turn and look- always

Park sideways on a hill or up and down? keep it in neutral or in gear. Try to be at some kind of sideways angle front pointed uphill. I mostly leave it neutral, but I admit that I should probably not do that on a hill.

Split lanes even though not legal in your state? You mean like drive up between cars stopped at the lights? No. But- I stop like this:

Position myself to the far left or right of whatever lane I am in as I come to a stop. Stay in gear and watch my mirrors. The intention is to aim the bike at a hole to shoot straight ahead into if the stoopid azz guy coming up behind me looks like he is not going to stop. Once the car behind me has come to a stop- I will often then put her in neutral to wait out the light. That Vic clutch pull will give you Popeye forearm, won't it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dunno, I don't have a tach, kinda shift 1-2 @20MPH, 2-3 @30 MPH, 3-4 @40 MPH, 4-5 @50MPH, 6th when I'm going to exceed 60 for an extended period of time. All this is relative to if I am trying to leave someone behind or not.

Normally use both, that's what I was taught, especially when coming to a full stop. Rather be practiced in using both than an emergency happen and slide too far or go over the bars. If just slowing, try to use only rear.

No smoking while fueling, leave the bike leaning. I have had multiple times after filling up the with the bike upright that I stopped soon afterwards and the bike overflowed.

Lean, baby lean. Isn't that half the fun in riding????

Normally, both feet down, unless I'm on a slight hill and want to take a second to light a smoke. I like to hold a brake, just for the added visual of idiot cagers too busy texting to pay attention to anything other than what some moron had for dinner last night.

A little bit of both. I have read that downshifting eats up tires more, so I am trying to be more cautious of that. I just bought new tires and brakes. I would rather buy brakes, 15 minutes to change and 1/10th the cost.

I was taught that it does matter, but I am often at the shift point in the middle of a turn, so 1st to 2nd when making turns.

Try not to. Try to make sure that everybody around me visually knows that I am there.

Normally ride with traffic speeds, but I live in the city with varying driver capabilities, so not afraid to pass a blue hair and doesn't hurt my feelings when a 16 year old in his mommy bought, riced out Honda Civic goes flying by. I'll soon see his obituary.

Every now and then, if I think someone is more interested in what bullshit a false celebrity has to say in social media than operating a 2 ton death machine, I make sure to crack the throttle and flip them off.

I always wave with the devil horns \m/. That's just how I am. One guy gave me the "hang ten" wave one time and I said to myself "self, do what ever you want to do, joke them if they can't take an f".

Everybody out there is trying to kill me, so I often look multiple times, even when just changing lanes.

Don't normally park on a hill, but try to position the bike for easy exit and leave it in neutral.

Don't split lanes, thought about it, but not bold enough, I don't trust that some douchebag wouldn't open the door for no reason just as I decided to finally try it.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hm, someone has too much time on their hands while their bike's broke?

J/k- great thread (rated) will make for interesting reading.

And no, I don't even know what the 'right' answers are to some of the questions, let alone trying to adhere to that (or at least knowing when I'm not...)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Nope....not a clue...I'm still learning, everyday I try to learn something new. I have had a license to ride a motorcycle for 41 years and motorcycles have been my passion and first love for longer than that.

I'm also a pilot, and aviation(which is my vocation) and motorcycling share many aspects. The number one aspect is; when you quit learning, hang it up because you're not long for this world. They are both learned skills and we should strive to grow in those skills because the consequences of staying static are deadly.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope....not a clue...I'm still learning, everyday I try to learn something new. I have had a license to ride a motorcycle for 41 years and motorcycles have been my passion and first love for longer than that.

I'm also a pilot, and aviation(which is my vocation) and motorcycling share many aspects. The number one aspect is; when you quit learning, hang it up because you're not long for this world. They are both learned skills and we should strive to grow in those skills because the consequences of staying static are deadly.

Thanks J!

That is some food for thought until we can't move anything including our thought direction.

I had a neighbor completely paralyzed for almost 30 years. I was fascinated by how his mind worked. He had no other thing he could control but his mind.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts