Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy at the motorcycle shop said don’t use gas with ethanol. I read in the CrossRoads manual that it was OK. Just wondered what others do??

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
The guy at the motorcycle shop said don’t use gas with ethanol. I read in the CrossRoads manual that it was OK. Just wondered what others do??
It's hard to find ethanol free gas anymore, and when you do find it, it's much more expensive than standard gas. Our bikes are designed to run 10% ethanol or less.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use it, but I use Premium gas with no problems.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There are a bunch of non-ethanol stations around me because of the multitude of lakes. I keep a very detailed spread sheet for every gas fill up and after 6 years of data it shows I get better gas mileage out of the ethanol blended gas (10%) than I do the non-ethanol. I also can tell no difference in power or engine smoothness between the two. I'm a cheap a** and usually run 89 octane from a name brand station and throw a little 93 in there when it gets really hot in July & August.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
In most areas today it is difficult to find ethanol free gas. For this reason, if for no other, I always use at least 92 octane. One reason is that ethanol produces a lower level of combustion, therefore lower power per detonation. I also regularly add an enzyme fuel additive designed to guard against the other issue with ethanol, the fact that it attracts water. This can prove harmful to your engine in at least two ways; first is the direct harm moisture can do to your engine and second is that it shortens the 'shelf life' of the gasoline.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
E10 will not give our bikes any problems, except during winter hibernation. On the last ride of the season, I fill with pure gas top with a fuel stabilizer. Gasoline has about a 30 day shelf life and then the gooey stuff begins to ooze out. If you can't fill with pure gas, then top with Startron enzyme fuel treatment - stops the evils of ethanol.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brite--star-tron-gasoline-additive-8-oz--5617741?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3085587849&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%20-%20Product%20Type-_-5617741&product_id=5617741&adpos=1o5&creative=108421551724&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx8rX6-mT3QIVDp1-Ch3NxQpXEAQYBSABEgKZifD_BwE

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ethanol free only unless I am forced to do otherwise.

LOTS of ethanol free out there- especially away from larger towns. Better mileage / range for me. I have a station about 4 miles away. He carries 87, and the bike seems fine with that, but I will use higher octane when I find it.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Most of the places around me with real gas only have 91,92 or 93. I know there is a Marathon station in town that has real stuff but I think its 91 only. My little CRV responded very positively to it once put a tank in it, its a dollar more then the other stuff but my tank MPG went from 410 miles to 450.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1) Like @RICZ (post #8), I use E0 (that's another term for ethanol-free) for winter storage. And top off with StarTron. And make sure that the tank is full (to minimize condensation).

2) Like @toejam (post #10), I've used the free iOS and Android app Pure Gas, to search out local E0 stations.

In my area, these were limited to a few PitStop stations, but a couple of years ago a northeast convenience chain called Stewarts started selling E0, and they're all over my upstate NY area.

3) Both of those chains sell E0 only in their highest octane, so that's what I use (for storage purposes). I also fill my gas containers with E0 and StarTron. These are for my riding mower and snowblower.

(Like my current bike, the yard engines do not need high-test, but run just fine with it.)

4) I've never experienced problems with E10 when in riding season. I mean, any day trip will typically go through more than a tank, so it -- E10 -- is not just sitting around for months, waiting to separate, as would be the case with winter storage (or summer storage, in the case of the snowblower). So I only pay extra for the E0 for storage purposes (although I may have to do this several times with the bike, if I think I'm ending the season, say, in October, but then early November has some nice days).

That said, @Dcc, your shop guy may be playing it safe ... and with good reason. There have been reports in recent years, for instance, of some Ducati plastic tanks warping because of E10 exposure. And I have a relative in the lawn care business who has to replace mower engine seals and tubing often, a change he attributes to E10; this sort of thing may have the same effect on some similar motorcycle parts, particularly with vintage bikes that don't have as chemical-resistant seals.

So, it seems that the vast majority of bikes are okay with E10, especially when it's not sitting around for long periods. The flip side is that if you want to to really CYA -- talking about ALL bikes under ALL circumstances -- your shop buddy is probably right to be cautious, because there have been some problems ... so his position covers all the bases.

5) Now, E15 is another matter entirely. As the AMA frequently points out in its magazine, web site, and emails, there are NO bikes that are designed to handle that, it will void all bike warranties, and so forth. The AMA rightfully worries that any increase in the availability of E15 will drive E0 out of the market, make even E10 harder to find, given limited pump nozzles. Just thought I'd mention E15, since we're on the subject.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Every tank for 110K miles. Sits in it all winter, fires right up in spring. Never an issue.
Never an issue in lawn equipment or generators. I burn the fuel in the gas can from the fall when spring hits... never gave it a second thought. Gas sitting in the tractor tank all winter... it fires right up. Push mower, weedeater, and generator all start 1st pull in the spring.

People take this **** entirely too seriously.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Why bother? Just burn it...
I guess that was the point of the video, and all members confirmed this .... Pure gas for storrage ... VeggieGas for normal road use ...

But the guy on the video has no PureGas avaleble .... Same as me ... It is all VeggieGas ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Every tank for 110K miles. Sits in it all winter, fires right up in spring. Never an issue.
Never an issue in lawn equipment or generators. I burn the fuel in the gas can from the fall when spring hits... never gave it a second thought. Gas sitting in the tractor tank all winter... it fires right up. Push mower, weedeater, and generator all start 1st pull in the spring.

People take this **** entirely too seriously.
My jackpot did not start for 1 year and 8 months ... Every 6 months i emptied the tank and put fresh vegiegas in there .. And she started right up after 1y8m .... but what does ethanol do to rubbers and hoses , fuel pump metal corrosion, clog up the smallest channels like injectors ?

https://youtu.be/H2_UmmmVKzE

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
wspollack mentioned that the AMA talks about ethanol and the threat of E15, while the MRF (Motorcycle Riders Foundation) DOES things about it. There offices are in DC and they walk the halls talking the talk and attend committee meetings and hearings. The AMA has screwed us too many times, but the MRF has our backs. You would be doing the riders of America a favor to join the MRF. You get a helluva lot of bang for your dues buck.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
wspollack mentioned that the AMA talks about ethanol and the threat of E15, while the MRF (Motorcycle Riders Foundation) DOES things about it. There offices are in DC and they walk the halls talking the talk and attend committee meetings and hearings. The AMA has screwed us too many times, but the MRF has our backs. You would be doing the riders of America a favor to join the MRF. You get a helluva lot of bang for your dues buck.
Ric, I'm a dues-paying, card-carrying, member of both organizations. Sorry I omitted mentioning the MRF.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Ric, I'm a dues-paying, card-carrying, member of both organizations. Sorry I omitted mentioning the MRF.
So am I Bill...and so should all riders. There is a lot of trouble coming our way, not only in fuels, but emissions regs, Euro regs that the EPA and NHTSA want to adopt and much more.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
So E15 is 15% vegetable ? Ethanol ?

Can i ask what is the difference between 10% vs 15% for motorcycles ? Interesting subject indeed ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 81 Posts