Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since that hardly ever happens we need to thank this guy, because now the rest of us are safe for awhile.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I try not to. The majority of the time I do not. It gets hot enough here without having my head couped up in smoldering hot helmet. Folks can brag on their helmet all they want...it's still hotter in that helmet. Then you have the visibility issue. There is a blind spot wearing a helmet too. Wearing a full face helmet I have to crank my neck around either side and there is still an area to the rear that I can't see. It's pretty much full face or nothing. In a half helmet you might save you brain but then you got to look at your mangled face the rest of your life. I'd rather check out.

I wear one during the winter times when temps are 35-40 or colder. I only wear to keep my face from freezing.

Riding a bike is dangerous, it may cost you your life. I accept this and willingly accept the possibility of death every time I climb on. It's part of the thrill, it's why I ride. I don't want to die but I'm ready when it's my time.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I try not to. The majority of the time I do not. It gets hot enough here without having my head couped up in smoldering hot helmet. Folks can brag on their helmet all they want...it's still hotter in that helmet. Then you have the visibility issue. There is a blind spot wearing a helmet too. Wearing a full face helmet I have to crank my neck around either side and there is still an area to the rear that I can't see. It's pretty much full face or nothing. In a half helmet you might save you brain but then you got to look at your mangled face the rest of your life. I'd rather check out.

I wear one during the winter times when temps are 35-40 or colder. I only wear to keep my face from freezing.

Riding a bike is dangerous, it may cost you your life. I accept this and willingly accept the possibility of death every time I climb on. It's part of the thrill, it's why I ride. I don't want to die but I'm ready when it's my time.
Rebel, this post has brought a tear to my eye... cheers

·
Registered
511 Posts

Your entire statement is so full of crap your eyes are brown. Visibility is great in todays helmets. I use Arai helmets and they are nice and comfortable with excellent visibility.

Now we both know you would never spring for a five to eight hundred dollar helmet, but like the old Bell ads used to say if you have a 10 dollar head buy a 10 dollar helmet so please do enjoy your 10 dollar helmet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your entire statement is so full of crap your eyes are brown. Visibility is great in todays helmets. I use Arai helmets and they are nice and comfortable with excellent visibility.

Now we both know you would never spring for a five to eight hundred dollar helmet, but like the old Bell ads used to say if you have a 10 dollar head buy a 10 dollar helmet so please do enjoy your 10 dollar helmet.
I bought a very nice full face from HJC and the visibility is terrible IMHO. Just because you like yours doesn't mean you have to call him a lier. I personally hate wearing a helmet. Ass for every seat my friend.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I sometimes skip my riding jacket but I never skip the helmet. When I was a mere 20 years old, a few decades back, I got into an accident that cost me 26 days in the hospital and 6 months off of work. My cheap a$$ helmet saved my life. I kept it around as a reminder for many years. It had a nice shattered pattern in the fiberglass that reflected what my skull might have otherwise looked like if I had not been wearing it.
Here I am at 65 years old and still alive and riding. I won't pull out of my driveway without the helmet. I live in a state that does not require a helmet but I wear mine anyway.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

LOL - Please tell me you aren't ACTUALLY trying to (somehow) claim that NOT wearing a helmet is actually safer (in your mind) than wearing one because...1) you won't get hit by lightning, 2) A helmet is... well, hot? and 3) your ready to die so why bother with a ...helmet?

I guess you are eagerly anticipating the other option, complete paralysis due to neck injury caused from a 15MPH scrap up. PS - Yes, a son's friend died from a "under 10MPH" crash when he was "test riding" a friends bike without a helmet in a parking lot.

Some people just make me huh? but it is YOUR noggin so it's up to you in a state that allows it. Just try and ride safe so that someone else doesn't have to feed you through a tube for the rest of your life

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Rebel must belong to Darwin's Disciples. Eventually, his will become a recessive gene and we won't have to hear such babble. He's the type that will tell you riding in a T-shirt is cooler than a mesh jacket with a cool vest under it. Har har.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I stated my reasons, those are mine. I don't care if folks agree or not. Yes, i do in fact believe that riding is safer without a helmet up until an actual accident. Obviosly in an accident, the helmet will help. But, better visibility is better safety and that extra visibility just may prevent an accident. As far as the heat, my wife fell to the ground vomitting due to heat exhaustion when we got off the bike on a 100 deg day, i was fine. I'm one who believes my time is set. When its my time its my time. If you guys are scared of riding then you should probably sell the bike...just sayin.
You guys aint mad cause your states require helmets and mine don't are ya? :cool:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
1. There are federal regulations for minimum peripheral vision. If yours is restrictive, report that to the NHTSA.
2. I have full face and 1/4 helmets that have great vision and ventilate very well, even behind the windshield. I find Cycle Gear's Heat-Out underliners very effective, even the one for under the helmet. My Gmax 3/4 helmet has 10 vents that work well.
3. I will wager huge money your wife was dehydrated. What you described are the symptoms. In hot weather, drink a lot of water, no alcohol and no coffee. Just water or Gateraid.
4. Sure I live in a helmet state but I would not dream of not wearing a helmet even if it wasn't, so your statement does not fly with me. Been there, done that. Wear one in non helmet states, that is.
Am I being judgmental? Maybe so, but almost nine decades on this planet has shown me a lot and drivers are worse today than ever before, in so many ways. You are playing the odds and I hope you win. I lost one day, but I was prepared for it, cuz I dressed for the crash, not the weather.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
1. There are federal regulations for minimum peripheral vision. If yours is restrictive, report that to the NHTSA.
2. I have full face and 1/4 helmets that have great vision and ventilate very well, even behind the windshield. I find Cycle Gear's Heat-Out underliners very effective, even the one for under the helmet. My Gmax 3/4 helmet has 10 vents that work well.
3. I will wager huge money your wife was dehydrated. What you described are the symptoms. In hot weather, drink a lot of water, no alcohol and no coffee. Just water or Gateraid.
4. Sure I live in a helmet state but I would not dream of not wearing a helmet even if it wasn't, so your statement does not fly with me. Been there, done that. Wear one in non helmet states, that is.
Am I being judgmental? Maybe so, but almost nine decades on this planet has shown me a lot and drivers are worse today than ever before, in so many ways. You are playing the odds and I hope you win. I lost one day, but I was prepared for it, cuz I dressed for the crash, not the weather.
I'm sure there are regulations in place for visibility and I'm sure my helmet meets those regulations, and it's just not as good as not having a helmet.

What she had was heat exhaustion, which often can be prevented by staying hydrated. Sometimes that's just not good enough. We never ran out of water and we drank lots of it. It was brutally hot, like I said 100* and the heat index was near 111 or so. Hotter in a helmet I'm sure. We were stuck in stop and go traffic with the heat from the pavement and the bike. I'm not an EMT or RN but my employer did put me through 50 hours of medical training and licensed me as a First Responder for our facility so luckily I knew what her symptoms were and how to treat it. 30-45 minutes later she was fine. Our helmets are vented...don't have 10 vents like yours though.

I am playing the odds, I said that in my first post. I'm okay with that, and if you aren't then you should probably sell your bike, because we are all playing the odds riding on 2 wheels with no cage. It's my decision to make and doesn't affect anybody here so let it be. I don't tell you what you need to wear and I won't accept others advice on what I need to wear. It's my noodle thumb up

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey guys!
My 2 cents;
No helmet requirements in Michigan, but I'll still always wear one.

Just my own personal observation, I never see other younger guys wear helmets around here, and I never see older guys without their helmets around here. Could be no correlation, just my observation in my area.

I think in a major accident I'm toast, helmet or no helmet, but there's always that chance it could save me.

And not to get too sappy, but I also think I owe it to the ones that still want me around, to wear a helmet.

·
Registered
251 Posts

My thoughts exactly !

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I back Freedom of Choice .. Always Have Always Will ..
I'm with you Gator... Personally, I don't want some politician telling me what I can or cant do, because they think they know better then me. I ride in NH a lot , no helmet law, but I personally always wear mine. But , I think its up to the rider to do what they want.cheers

·
Registered
636 Posts
I wear a modular helmet. Was an HJC, now it's a Shoei. Saved my life last year without a doubt in that crash I had. My helmeted head completely redesigned the douche's rear window defroster and probably then killed at least 14 ants in the second impact with the road surface.

Yup, it's hot, but also saves me from heat stroke, dehydration is slower with one on than not wearing one, which is a reason I wear a mesh jacket instead of going " topless" or just a tee shirt. But whatever, I don't profess to force my beliefs on anyone.......but medically, it makes more sense and that's why I do what I do..........

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I am playing the odds, I said that in my first post. I'm okay with that, and if you aren't then you should probably sell your bike, because we are all playing the odds riding on 2 wheels with no cage. It's my decision to make and doesn't affect anybody here so let it be. I don't tell you what you need to wear and I won't accept others advice on what I need to wear. It's my noodle thumb up
I fully realize what can happen while riding and I'm not selling my bike, but thanks for the suggestion. Because I'm aware of what can happen, and has happened, I dress for that and no, you didn't tell me to.
Nobody here has told you what to wear. There are many statements declaring the benefits of certain gear. thumb up

1 - 20 of 68 Posts