Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Does power commander stress the engine???

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  new vic rider 
#1 ·
I am trying to trade my 2012 cct for an Indian Vintage. The dealer is telling me that due to the fact that a power commander was installed, the bike has been stressed and he won't take it in trade. Any truth to this crap???? comments please guys
Thanks

#3 ·
...Any truth to this crap???? comments please guys
Thanks
No truth to it. The PCV changes the fuel mapping. It does not add any stress to anything. On the contrary, the motor runs cooler when taken off the suicidal stock map, and cooler running motor wears less. Who knows, maybe they have too many used bikes in stock and don't want another, and gave you a typical dealer excuse.

#4 ·
Interesting comment. Ask him what the hell he is talking about?

Equipment doesn't stress the engine the operator does.

I can venture a guess that he has seen some poor tuning that has caused some problems either too lean or rich.

Dealer might be skiddish about the emission modification as well.

Cheers

#5 ·
Is that dealer also a politician?:)

#7 ·
It depends on how the dealer is looking at this. Normally when someone adds a programmer they are running the you know what out of the bike and I would bet you that is why they don't want to touch your bike knowing you have put a PCV on it.

As far as the PCV hurting the engine, only if it is set up improperly i.e. the air/fuel ratios are way off and it has been driven that way for a long time then sure any programmer could end up hurting an engine. Run it to lean for to long and damage can occur and even running it to rich can cause problems.

Most dealers don't want anything to do with a bike that they think has been driven hard.

I know auto dealers who would not give much in trade for a car that had a trailer hitch installed on it.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Not if it was tuned right but anybody can screw something up and since a PCV allows the owner to do essentially "Whatever the hell they want to it..." I guess I could see this guys point. If you had it tuned by a professional you could always simply show him the dyno sheet showing that the PCV when properly installed by a skilled tuner ENSURES that the bike has not be "abused" in ANY way. Either than or find a dealer that understands that MANY bikes have power commanders added to them as a normal process.

In fact you MUST use a Power Commander (or other similar controller) should you add CAMs to the bike to ENSURE that it is properly tuned.

#10 ·
Total b.s., the PCV mapped correctly will actually fix the lean mapping installed by Victory to comply with federal emissions. Lean is heat and an engine that's running warmer than usual isn't conducive to engine longevity. However, a warmer engine does burn up emissions more completely, also part of the reason why they are set up lean. It's not about you or your bike, it's about gov't.

#11 ·
Why trade it to begin with... sell it privately and then talk the dealer down on a no-trade purchase.

You'll come out $$$$$ ahead of the game.

Are you dealing with the Kelowna Vic shop? Maybe they have too many used bikes. That sounds like a good cop-out to get out of taking another trade.

#13 ·
One thing that may keep any dealer from taking a bike like that in trade is if they have to certify that it complies with EPA standards. I know when you trade in a car or truck these days you have to sign a paper stating that all the pollution equipment is still on the vehicle.

Once you hook up a programmer or change the stock pipes you no longer comply with the EPA standards for that year and model of bike.

I am not sure if motorcycle dealers are being held to that same standard but I would bet they are now that they have to have catalytic converters and such on them.

#14 ·
Victory 1 EPA not an issue in Canada.

#16 ·
When I traded my Voyager it was put on the floor with all the goodies attached. Tri- ovals, FI 2000, Complete air kit (not just a filter). Lowered and a kick ass sound system installed. That bike lasted a week. The Motor Officer that bought it 3 years ago still loves it today. It was presented to him at the time of sale that the previous owner had set it up right.

As a dealer I would jump on a trade that had well thought mods done that enhanced performance and improved the bike. This dealer is obviously not into the after market. A fuel controller especially the tried and true PCV should not have been a deal breaker unless the bike was not tuned with it and you pulled up with it running like ****.

The best advise here is to sell privately or if you gotta have it now then find another dealer and remove the PCV and bring it back to stock. Put it on your next ride? Get it tuned though.

#17 ·
the extend warranty will not cover any motor with a power commander on it or any thing like it.
Thats the reason why.

Take it off and find new dealer

#19 ·
Mine is stressed a heck of a lot more from my revving lol. When I traded my Voyager it had a PCV on it and they did not seem to care.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.