Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does ethanol in gas cause problems with the fuel systems on the victory bikes. I've heard from a mechanic in a shop they have a lot of bikes come in because of the ethanol clogging up the fuel system. Carb or Fuel injected.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Does ethanol in gas cause problems with the fuel systems on the victory bikes. I've heard from a mechanic in a shop they have a lot of bikes come in because of the ethanol clogging up the fuel system. Carb or Fuel injected.
Simply put: no. It doesn't help your gas mileage, but it doesn't kill your bike either.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Victory is headquartered in Minnesota where they have a 10% state law ethanol mandate for all gas sold in the state. The bikes are designed to run on 10% ethanol because they have to be. I haul gas and fuel so I deal with this stuff everyday. I personally don't like the stuff because it dries out and shrinks seals and o-rings that are made of rubber and other compounds. The seals and gaskets they use in fuel systems are supposed to be compatable but I've seen that even the seals we use on our transports are effected by it even though they are made for it also so I really wonder if long term it can be all that good to an automotive fuel system.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
They had lots of problems with the tank lining in the 99-05 tanks, but they changed in 06. So not much since then. Biggest problem with ethanol is that it HATES sitting around, and will turn to goo. Problems with injected motors are far fewer the carb motors

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They had lots of problems with the tank lining in the 99-05 tanks, but they changed in 06. So not much since then. Biggest problem with ethanol is that it HATES sitting around, and will turn to goo. Problems with injected motors are far fewer the carb motors
Does Sea Foam help with that, or is there anything else that helps preserve ethanol blended gas?

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Does Sea Foam help with that, or is there anything else that helps preserve ethanol blended gas?
This is gonna sound dumb, but maybe I've hit on something and am doing the right thing. I add about 1/2 ounce of Marvel Miracle Oil to a fill up. Don't ask me what it does, I just do it cuz I read in many sources that the stuff helps on several levels. :confused:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
KevinX,
There are numerous reports of E85 damaging fuel systems and fuel pumps on non-flex fuel ready vehicles. All of the reports state that this is due to the corrosive properties of E85. Can E85 damage Victory fuel pumps or is there anything that can corrode in the fuel pumps?

·
Registered
372 Posts
A big problem with ethanol is it is blended with the gas when it goes onto the transport truck. After it's blended if it sits to long either in the gas stations storage tank or your gas tank the ethanol can drop out of the gasoline since the gravity of ethanol is different than gas. This makes the ethanol settle two the bottom and basically changes it back to two different products again. With the ethanol all on the bottom we know where the engine draws it's supply. If this happens you can feasibly draw almost pure ethanol into your engine.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
This is gonna sound dumb, but maybe I've hit on something and am doing the right thing. I add about 1/2 ounce of Marvel Miracle Oil to a fill up. Don't ask me what it does, I just do it cuz I read in many sources that the stuff helps on several levels. :confused:
The only secret is to RIDE the bike. If you ride; it will give you no issues. If you garage art....It will eat rubber

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
KevinX,
There are numerous reports of E85 damaging fuel systems and fuel pumps on non-flex fuel ready vehicles. All of the reports state that this is due to the corrosive properties of E85. Can E85 damage Victory fuel pumps or is there anything that can corrode in the fuel pumps?
Just look at what is happening to the pre 09 pumps with 10%. Pretty much every failure I have seen has been disolving o-rings. 15% is just gonna be worse

·
Registered
357 Posts
HEre is a link to find REAL gas.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

I have to run this in my Shovelhead or I am rebuilding the carb every month or so.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Sta-Bil makes a good product for preserving and protection against ethanol blended gas. You can do a search on it on the internet to get more info. I've used it now for about 3 years for my boat fuel injected engine and for my lawn mower equip and bikes sometimes especialy if they are going to sit for awhile.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lighter fluid is cheaper...

MMO is a mixture of light machine oil, solvents (e.g., mineral spirits), and a few other things.

As a fuel additive, it works like STP (or similar) gas treatment. Due to its solvent content, it loosens carbon deposits in the upper cylinders. Unlike STP, MMO is not hygroscopic (it doesn't absorb moisture), so it cannot remove water from the fuel system.

As a crankcase additive, it is probably not a good idea. MMO's viscosity is somewhere near 2W (two weight) oil. This dilutes your crankcase oil, thinning it out and dropping the total viscosity. The solvents in the MMO formula negate the positive effects of detergents in crankcase oil. It also cannot hold particulates in suspension (a critical feature of crankcase oil that permits metal particles, carbon, and dirt to be carried to the filter where they are trapped and do no damage). It can also work to keep oil from clinging where it needs to stick on the internal moving parts of the engine.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Sta-Bil makes a good product for preserving and protection against ethanol blended gas. You can do a search on it on the internet to get more info. I've used it now for about 3 years for my boat fuel injected engine and for my lawn mower equip and bikes sometimes especialy if they are going to sit for awhile.
I have sta-bil in my garage. I've been using that for my lawn mower as well, but never in the bike fuel. I've been using Sea Foam for the bike and my cages. Will look more into it. Thanks for suggesting it. thumb up

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ive been using sea foam in my bike for the last 4 years with no issues. Always starts right up in the spring.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do all gas companies use ethenal in their gas, or are there some that do not?
Ethanol is usually trucked or railed into the pipeline loading facilities that load the transport trucks which deliver right to the gas stations. The ethanol is kept separate until the transport truck is loaded and it is blended with the gas to the desired ratio as the truck is loaded. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the state of Minnesota has a 10% ethanol mandate for all gas used. I think they do have an exemtion for premium gas that's sold for classic cars, motorcycles, mowers and such but it's up to the station owner if they want to offer it that way. The states closest to me do require by law that the gas pumps identify a product as having ethanol & it's percentage but each state set's it's own rules for that. The state I live you can still buy regular gasoline with no ethanol and most stations have the choice but it depends of your region and state and local laws. Some major cities require an oxygenate in their gas for clean air and ethanol is often the cheapest therefore most widely used for that mandate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think we should go 100% ethanol in this country. Thats how much I like the stuff.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Handyhoward: I primarily use MMO as a top oiler. I've read many things about engine oil over the years (decades even) and the one thing I've learned, of many, is one never adds anything to the oil in your engine. It is a finely tuned recipe of additives.

Colecrazy: I understand your concern, but the problems with ethanol are: 1. It contains only about 2/3 the BTUs (energy) of gasoline. 2. Without subsidies (our tax money) those involved in ethanol production would fail. 3. Ethanol has increased food costs, is depleting water aqueducts, and causes reductions in fuel mileage. 4. Depending upon what knowledgeable source you read, it is either energy neutral or energy negative. 5. The "foreign oil" most carp about comes from Canada, Mexico, South America, Middle East in that order of supply quantity. 6. Partisan politics stands in the path of our becoming more oil independent...so we could "grow" our own oil if the powers that be would allow it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
we've been seeing alot of carb cleanings lately! if it sits a couple weeks, the carb will probably need cleaning, pilots clog in no time. we've been finding green sludge in the bottom of the bowl. this cant be good for injectors and is probably doing the same thing in the bottom of our FI tanks and fuel pumps.

we sell star-tron additive and when i got a tank of bad fuel, it seem to help clear up the issue that persisted thru 2 tanks. i add a couple ounces here and there.

if you want jobs, drill here! i wouldnt even mind paying more for local pure gasoline although i think the cost should pretty well equal out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts