Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least once a month when I am somewhere with my gear on, somebody will tell me how they used to ride or knew somebody that did, and now they don't because they were in a bad accident and they gave it up because they almost died.

I really don't care, and I would prefer you keep it to yourself.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
It's not a bad reminder.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
At least once a month when I am somewhere with my gear on, somebody will tell me how they used to ride or knew somebody that did, and now they don't because they were in a bad accident and they gave it up because they almost died.

It makes me think that getting a MC endorsement is too easy as is riding a machine with dangerous modifications or poor maintenance.

Ever notice how there are a lot of folks with decades and hundreds of thousands of miles under their belts that have few problems, but everyone seems to have a nephew named Billy who has ridden less than some of us ride for pizza, who got severely injured or killed?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I try not to think about it. My wife panics every time I leave the house on my bike without her. I get the repeated "please be careful"! No matter what the reality exists. So I will say it. Be safe and ride on !thumb up

·
Registered
35 Posts
It makes me think that getting a MC endorsement is too easy as is riding a machine with dangerous modifications or poor maintenance.

Ever notice how there are a lot of folks with decades and hundreds of thousands of miles under their belts that have few problems, but everyone seems to have a nephew named Billy who has ridden less than some of us ride for pizza, who got severely injured or killed?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

yep, and I knew somebody who tripped over his left foot, fell down and banged his head and almost died so now he doesn't walk anywhere any more.

geeessshhhh .... I don't wanna hear those "stories" either.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The stories themselves don't bother me...its the lecture that does.

My dad rode his whole life until I was born. He took a break and went in the custom van world that (in my mind) peaked and died in the 80s. When he went back to the bikes when i was about 15 he told me stories about all the friends he had lost on two wheels over the years. About his stint in traction because he rode after having a few beers. The time he (325lbs) and his missus (170ish) bottom out his goldwing on a stretch of road that was removed for repaving...that's a lot of bike and dad flying over the bars. But never once did it feel like a lecture. Just a cautionary tale.

But the people who feel the need to say things like "You're crazy" "you have a death wish" "I call them murder cycles" "Why would you ride don't you know that blah blah blah". That feels like a lecture and i just shut my ears to it and ride away.

I do agree it is far to easy to get your permit though. Just 2 days ago i was behind two guys on crotch rockets racing each other from light to light in t-shirts and shorts. Sure enough they were heading to the same bike shop i was, and despite doing double the speed limit, only pulled in 15 seconds before me. When they took their lids off they were barely out of puberty. Perhaps if they had a dad like mine who, from a young age, instilled a respect for the machine as well as a healthy dose of reality they wouldn't be such hot dogs. Or maybe they would. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Aw crap in a hat...my name is Billy...AND I'm somebody's nephew. Guess it's only a matter of time. :(

...how the hell do you bring back pizza on your bike?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I agree.

I'm kinda tired of having to respond with a minimum of 10 characters.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I hear it a lot. My response is always the same: Riding a motorcycle is a lot more dnagerous than riding in a car. Riding in a car is a lot more dangerous than sitting on your couch watching TV. But not everybody sits and watches TV all day. (Sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't)

BTW--- I do have a friend that lost his right arm in a motorcycle crash. He had just bought it and was on his way home. His bike riding lasted less than 40 miles. I also have a first cousin who died on a motorcycle. My last crash was the fall of 1977. I got my education in "careful" very early on.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got stories as well. On of my best friends was in two really bad accidents. First was a deer, he lost his spleen in that one. A second was a truck that pulled in front of him, he gave up riding after that.

Also had a co-worker who was a maniac on his bike and we all use to say one day he won't show up for work cause he will kill himself. Well he did.

I just don't know why strangers feel the need to tell me these stories. The last one was Saturday but it was nice little old lady at CVS and she was just telling her story, but the time before that it was a Fast food Manager and I thought he was kind of a dick about it. Basically called me an idiot for riding a bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In a word, no. I scuba dive as well and so I get those kind of stories for that too. I take risks, but I do my best to manage them is my usual response.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I usually respond with :yep I got a buddy that died in a Dodge truck, I know a guy who was fishing in his rowboat and got hit by a powerboat and died, my cousin's husband fell down the stairs and died., I know a guy that had a heart attack on the shitter....
So what dying doesn't scare me !!!
Getting hurt badly does.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

You're too sensitive... so what, there's all sorts of people who do and say all sorts of things, this one seems pretty harmless.

Like in the OLD motorcycle show 'Then Came Bronson', the guy in the car who asks Michael Parks where he's going etc., and says 'wish I were you', and 'Bronson' answers "Yeah" and drives off. It doesn't really cause that much distress to hear someone's short story about the danger of motorcycles or whatever, and, like has been said earlier, it is a reminder to be extra vigilant, which never hurts.

I say relax, and don't stress about things that don't really matter... :cool:

·
Registered
851 Posts
I answer that the same way I answer people who tell me eating red meat is bad for you:

"There is more to living than extending the number of days you are alive on this planet."

Everyone has to determine what they feel the difference is between living longer and existing longer. Then they can make that type of decision for themselves; but not for others (except spouse and children who SHOULD also have a total of 49% of the vote IMO)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Walking into a gas station in Galena IL, wearing my Victory shirt. Guy in a wheel chair missing his right leg says nice bikes those Victories. I lost my leg riding a Harley. Waiting for the artificial leg and then getting a trike. It is all your perspective and fear factor. I admired this guy both for his not giving up and also for his courage.

Usually the people who tell me how dangerous motorcycles are, are pretty dull people that never take a risk, a chance and live a pretty boring life.

However I am always polite and thank them for their concern. Maybe in some weird way they think I just saved that guy's life.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts