Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
When the CCT has its tires changed, does the dealership have to adjust the belt?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Definitly not....as long as they know what they're doing the belt adjustment stays untouched.
Quiz em on it before you let em touch your bike.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When the tire gets changed doesn't the belt have to come off anyway? If so then it needs to be readjusted.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
When the tire gets changed doesn't the belt have to come off anyway? If so then it needs to be readjusted.
Yep and tension needs to be released to pull the wheel

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure on a CCT but I know on my Vision there's no need to touch the adjusters when pulling the rear wheel-as long as it was adjusted correctly to begin with you should be good.

I took a look at CCT service manual and in the tire removal section it says: NOTE: Axle adjuster nuts do not have to be loosened or removed, however, belt tension & alignment must be inspected after assembly.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
As above spider, you can drop the belt just leave the adjusters be.
That way adjustment stays same when it all goes back together.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
The manual says that is when you check belt tension with tire replacement so it may or may not. On my 4th rear tire and I haven't needed to readjust after the first one was replaced. I remove the 2 bolts for the rear shock/bar and drop the rear that way. You don't have to remove the mufflers and the adjusters stay the way they were.

·
13,003 Posts
so every one gave you the correct answer. Now you have to talk to dealer and the service manager will give you a answer BUT its up to tech he's the one you should talk to

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
I disagree, its your bike, its up to you if you wanna let incompetents work on your bike.
I can check my adjustment any time I like by poking it with my finger.
Done 60,000 miles and 9 tyre changes without a drama,
According to the 'manual' I should be on my third belt by now and I'm still on the original thats had a hole in it for half that mileage.
Its your choice who works on yr bike.
Choose wisely.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I've replaced my tires twice and never touched the adjusters. Just because you can does not mean you need to.

·
13,003 Posts
I disagree, its your bike, its up to you if you wanna let incompetents work on your bike.
I can check my adjustment any time I like by poking it with my finger.
Done 60,000 miles and 9 tyre changes without a drama,
According to the 'manual' I should be on my third belt by now and I'm still on the original thats had a hole in it for half that mileage.
Its your choice who works on yr bike.
Choose wisely.
what I was trying to say is if tech doesn't know what he's doing you could wind up with a squeak and have to go back to dealer to get it right

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I had a belt squeal develop late into my first rear tire's life. The last 2 times I changed my rear tire, I didn't know you could do so without touching the adjusters. So, I just loosened them by the same amount (counted the turns) and replaced with the same amount. After a quick check, good tension and zero squeaking both times.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I don't trust any dealer mechanic (even though most I am sure are just fine). When you get the bike home I would jack it up and test the tension and alignment out for your self (after the bike cools over night).

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
When the CCT has its tires changed, does the dealership have to adjust the belt?

@Grimloktt...just looking at your question again, and wondering what inspired it?
Did the dealer mention having to readjust the belt?
or were you just curious as to what they do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Grimloktt...just looking at your question again, and wondering what inspired it?
Did the dealer mention having to readjust the belt?
or were you just curious as to what they do.
I've never had my belt adjusted and am about to have my tires replaced. I was curious if I was going to get a free adjustment with the tire change...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If you do receive a belt adjustment from a dealer, my guess is that it won't be "free" :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
415 Posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and learn the basic of how to do a belt adjustment yourself, if you don't have a lift hopefully you know somebody who does.

A mis-aligned or poorly adjusted belt is a death sentence to the belt and the pulleys and the hash marks on the swingarm are notoriously unreliable no matter who the manufacturer is. I use a piece of brazing rod bent at a 90° angle on one end (about 2" folded over) then use the opening that is cast into the swingarm as a datum point. Line up the brazing rod with the axle and mark the center point of the axle on the rod with tape or a small o-ring then check the other side to make sure that they match.

Once your belt is broken in you probably won't have to mess with it for many thousands of miles. I personally have had two belts go over 100k on other bikes. Neither ever wore out but they both got dinged on the edge by rocks and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had new tires installed and a month later pulled the bags to install a new strut. The right axle plate had rotated 90 degrees when the nut was tightened and was not riding in the recess. I was unnerved, to say the least.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do yourself a HUGE favor and learn the basic of how to do a belt adjustment yourself, if you don't have a lift hopefully you know somebody who does.

A mis-aligned or poorly adjusted belt is a death sentence to the belt and the pulleys and the hash marks on the swingarm are notoriously unreliable no matter who the manufacturer is. I use a piece of brazing rod bent at a 90° angle on one end (about 2" folded over) then use the opening that is cast into the swingarm as a datum point. Line up the brazing rod with the axle and mark the center point of the axle on the rod with tape or a small o-ring then check the other side to make sure that they match.

Once your belt is broken in you probably won't have to mess with it for many thousands of miles. I personally have had two belts go over 100k on other bikes. Neither ever wore out but they both got dinged on the edge by rocks and had to be replaced.
It would be very helpful to demonstrate this through video. I asked Paul if he'd make one some time ago... Do you mind?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts