Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wan to preface the topic by mentioning the fact that besides my 07 jackpot i have 3 other bikes and have owned about 13-15 street bikes total in the 15 years i have been licensed to ride them.

I have noticed that my 07 jp leans a bit more than usual to the left side when riding on most roads/ interstates/ highways. The bike feels very close to vertical when i go thru a slight right curve....
I DO believe that some of this is from:
-the sloping of many roads to allow water/ rain to run-off
-the reduced weight on the right side of the bike from changing the pipes to an aftermarket RPW
-and maybe the rotation of the earth here?????

I have only had 2 other bikes behave this way and one of them had a slight warp to the rear subframe discovered after i traded it in.

suggestions, ideas, thoughts???? thanx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes u are correct in the description of a right drift... my bike leans to the left when i go straight.
I know that many of the local roads have a crown to them, but i was curious if anyone else has experienced a similar "lean" after removing the boat anchor stock exhaust.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My tends to want to go right if I take my right hand off the grip. But still goes straight if I take my left hand off the grip.
I thought it was the extra weight of the pipes on the right side?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, basically i have to compensate for the tendency to go right by leaning the bike a bit to the left when riding. there is definitely something different w/ this victory.
-the 250mm rear tire
-odd weight balancing between sides
-odd geometry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you mentioned the way it feels in curves, I would guess the tire has uneven wear like flat spotting or cupping. If you add a alot of air to the tire and it gets worse then that should point to if the tire is the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will try that.... i am certain that the rear tire was slightly out of alignment in the swingarm, but it still tends to lean to proceed in a straight path.

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
The pipes stick out farther on the JP to accommodate the fat rear tire. The stock pipes/muffs are fairly heavy so it does cause the bike to lean to the right a bit. Maybe your compensating for it. Getting a lighter/different will help that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey just wondering if you were able to figure it out? Im having the same problem with my 07' jackpot, the bike feels like it just wants to go right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no news

well, i haven't "fixed" the issue yet since i am trying to get my fueling issues worked out, but i did ride a friends custom hayabusa last weekend and i noticed his bike leans much like my JP does. It may be that his 300mm rear tire and our 250 w/ the skinny front tire makes the geometry rather unique.

With that said i took my aprilia on a circuit yesterday following the roads i frequent on my JP and it has a peculiar curve on many of the roads i take.... maybe it is more pronounced on the JP b/c of the reduced weight from the RPW exhaust, the large tire in the rear, and the skinny front tire.

i know that the aprilia is one of the best (built, performing, looking, and balanced) bikes out there and i usually compare every bike back to it since it is kinda like a "control" in my experiments.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ended up selling calling the dealer this morning, and they said it shouldn't ride like that and to bring it in to have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have ridden a bunch of bikes and it seems the fatter the tire in the back the feel of the bike changes. Also seems harder to get a nice lean in a turn. I like the fat tire look but my last bike had a 180 and no issues with lean or turns.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah dave, i figure all the riding experience i have should account for something, when i notice a high dollar bike like this one behaves like it does in the turns.
I love the bike for all of its uniqueness, but i really wanted to get a bike that rides better than my fatboy, has alot more power/ torque than my HD, and looks amazing.

i got all of that from this JP, but i didnt expect the small things.... but thats how the motorcycle world works.

I still think the JP was alot better than the honda fury i was going for when i found the JP.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea when I bought the bike I figured the fat tire would be different, but not like this. There has been a couple times I've gone into a corner and had to slow down because i didnt think I was going to get arund it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hehehe, that is why i call my bike "zealot" she loves going in a straight line w/ alot of attitude, but she turns like a tank!!! I guess that is trade off, but if we wanted to "corner" we would have bought a sportbike, right??

·
Registered
316 Posts
hehehe, that is why i call my bike "zealot" she loves going in a straight line w/ alot of attitude, but she turns like a tank!!! I guess that is trade off, but if we wanted to "corner" we would have bought a sportbike, right??
About 1 ½ months ago I went on a 460 km. day ride with a friend that just bought a new street glide tour. We switched bikes for a short time and his comment on my Jackpot was “I noticed you sure have to plan ahead and muscle the bike on corners”. I have never noticed it.

On the street glide I felt cramped but it had a smother power band (not as peppy as my Jackpot). As far as corning the Harley it felt top heavy to me. (it has bags and trunk)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I actually went and had a look at my rear alignment notches on the side arms and the right side is almost dead on the 3rd line in from the back, where the left side is right a little far forward from that. Could that be the problem?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I actually went and had a look at my rear alignment notches on the side arms and the right side is almost dead on the 3rd line in from the back, where the left side is right a little far forward from that. Could that be the problem?
Yes and no. Inadequate alignment could be the problem, definitely. However, those hash marks should NOT be used to fine tune alignment. They are for approximation only.

Follow the alignment procedure in the service manual. However, as a general rule of thumb, all things being equal and frame is not bent... a right leaning bike can be corrected by canting the rear wheel to the right, and vice versa.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just got back from the dealer they said everything was fine just the nature of the beast.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts