Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Last month, I started asking questions about the user end of the rear shock hose; see http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=58698 . As you'll see farther along in that thread, I was interested in finding a way to add or remove air from the shock... without removing the side cover.

- Mike "MTVic" followed through on this, actually moving the OEM Schrader valve and attaching an extension hose, which came out under the tank; see his thread, with pics, http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=59042 .

- I just finished taking MTVic's work a step farther -- thanks, Mike! -- by adding a through-the-cover new Schrader valve (see attached pic), after an added extension hose. This involved tapping that valve, as well as drilling through the cover, so obviously this is not a mod for everyone's tastes. On the off chance that anyone's interested in a step-by-step guide -- pics and words -- regarding how I did this, I put up a how-to page on my web site, here: http://www.billanddot.com/shock-valve-relocation.html .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Good work! I would like to do something similar but drilling through covers is something I would definitely screw up. Could you just run the extension hose up to the gap between the cover and the seat?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Thank you for that great write up with links for parts too. I will do this to my CR , only I don't want it to exit through the cover. So I may exit as MTVic did. Nice job and great write up .

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good work! I would like to do something similar but drilling through covers is something I would definitely screw up. Could you just run the extension hose up to the gap between the cover and the seat?
Sorry, but I don't think there's enough room in any gaps, except out the front (as MTVic did).

Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that great write up with links for parts too. I will do this to my CR , only I don't want it to exit through the cover. So I may exit as MTVic did. Nice job and great write up .
Thanks for the comments.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've considered just drilling a hole in the side cover and screwing an extension the original valve. Anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work? Opinions on how bad it would look?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've considered just drilling a hole in the side cover and screwing an extension the original valve. Anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work? Opinions on how bad it would look?
I second that idea... Put a chrome cap on it and call it done!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I second that idea... Put a chrome cap on it and call it done!
I'll chime in...

If you're talking about a straight, solid, metal extension -- the kind that you can find, say, to add to car tires, when the short valve stems are buried in hubcaps -- I don't think it would look too bad. Get the hole aligned properly, put a big rubber grommet in the hole, and I think it might make a good mod.

Potential drawbacks: I think it would be difficult (but of course not impossible) to get that hole aligned; it might be difficult to find an extension long enough; and, at least on Cross bikes with saddlebag guards, I think you'd come out right behind (between) a bag guard downtube and the cover, which would make attaching a pump hose somewhat of a problem.

If you're talking about adding just a flexible hose sticking out a hole in the stock filler area, I think that wouldn't look very good (and I'd instead duplicate MTVic's work, ending out front).

Of course, there's no accounting for taste, either, so this is probably a touchy subject... certainly a subjective one. I added a Powerlet socket through the left side cover, and one reader called that a "mutilation" of the cover, whereas I think it looks very nice. (BTW, mayonnaise played a big role in my aligning that Powerlet hole; see http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct-powerlet-in-side-cover/ ).

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fantastic mod Bill! I have put the link to your instructions in the Service Manuals link in my sig line for anyone to access if they want. Good work!
Thanks for the comment and the link, Bob.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts