Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my little town used to tout itself as the best water on Earth. We got an urgent bulletin that our water is now tainted. I guess the spring source has been found to contain E coli. We now have to boil our water to drink it. I don't know wtf they do to fix it if the spring itself is contaminated. I must admit this is kind of scary. I just hope we don't end up with a bunch of sick people.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Ouch.. good luck with that. I drink bottled water anyway. Tap water here tastes pretty nasty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
good water will one day become very scarce

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Filtered rain water is the best....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Whenever I hear the word e-coli I automatically think of human ****.

Perhaps a leech field leaked into your water source. I don't know how to fix or even identify the source of the problem. Do please keep us posted on what they do to fix this.

Maybe they can track the contamination back to the source somehow by taking tests measuring the PPM of e-coli in the water then get some heavy equipment in to dig it all out and eliminate the problem source.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Well my little town used to tout itself as the best water on Earth. We got an urgent bulletin that our water is now tainted. I guess the spring source has been found to contain E coli. We now have to boil our water to drink it. I don't know wtf they do to fix it if the spring itself is contaminated. I must admit this is kind of scary. I just hope we don't end up with a bunch of sick people.
They most likely will chlorinate it or eventually install a system that kills the bacteria by exposure to UV light. There are several chemicals close to Chlorine, that do the job economically also.
There isn't much that is alive that chlorine will not kill even in a small dose including you. They will dose the spring and system initially then if the problem persists they will inject chlorine/etc into the water system continuously.
Your town will end up with a water treatment plant of some sort as small as it maybe. Once you have an event like this often the government demands it, even if the water gets clean again.

Switching to bottled or purified water if you can afford to is the best thing till they get the bacteria under control and get the water treatment figured out. They will be sending some higher doses of chemicals through the system trying to sterilize it at first. Then they will be fooling around trying to get the amount of chemistry correct . During those periods especially, it would be preferable not to be drinking the water.

Right now they are scrambling to find the source of the contamination. When you have a lot of run off in the spring these things are more prone to happen. Large animals die and are not found and buried correctly, waste treatment system over flow, soil that acted as filters to the aquafir slides away, that sort of stuff. At least they caught it before people began getting sick.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Whenever I hear the word e-coli I automatically think of human ****.

Perhaps a leech field leaked into your water source. I don't know how to fix or even identify the source of the problem. Do please keep us posted on what they do to fix this.

Maybe they can track the contamination back to the source somehow by taking tests measuring the PPM of e-coli in the water then get some heavy equipment in to dig it all out and eliminate the problem source.
From what I have heard often the sources take care of themselves over time and just disappear. Being that it was such a wet spring, with water flowing everywhere it could be something as simple as flooded drain field that is situated near an old abandoned well with a short, or rusted out casing or one that was put in without caulking. Could be an old hand dug well someone doesn't even know exists on their property. Once the ground unsaturates the source will have disappeared and will only reappear when you get another overly wet year, like this one. Then only if that waste system is still in use at that time.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
The first 35 to 40 years of my life, I enjoyed well water from at least 350 ft. down. Just thought all water was that good. But it's getting harder to find water with any decent "taste" or lack there of. Where we live now, I have a filtration system for our drinking water, and or we use bottled water when traveling. Something I took for granted for many years.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Where I live the water is good but it tastes just a bit off coming right out of the tap so I just installed a single filter plumbed to a separate drinking water spigot. Tastes fine now. Just like bottled water without all the expense and hauling.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Phil
How did this turn out? Any good news?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts