Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions from those of you that have tried, or at least considered, running a rear tire in front. I ordered this for the front of my 2013 XCT:

Avon AM26 Roadrider 130/70-18 Rear Tire | 210-161 | J&P Cycles

Load rating same as the OEM Elite 3. Speed rating up to 149 mph. (double what I'll need!). Size is the same as OEM. It's not a radial, but...

Am I missing anything?

I realize some are going with a 150 instead of a 130 but since this is my first experience with a rear tire on the front, I thought I'd take small steps first. My hope is for at least as many miles as the OEM tire at a good price for a good brand. If all goes well, next time around I'll consider a 150 since our standard size front tire does seem pretty narrow, especially compared to my VTX1800.

Oh, and I will be matching it up with this:
Goodyear Eagle UltGrp GW3 ROF - Free Delivery Available | TireBuyer.com

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I'd be interested too. I have strongly considered going 'darkside', but I personally fail to see the benefits of 'double-darksiding' and curious to find out more. Is it because a rear tire is designed to put up with more stresses and therefore being a longer-lived tire?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Several of the guys I've been riding with have gone double dark side on their vtxs or goldwings. They seem to like it enough to keep doing it. I've had a car tire on the back of my vtx for almost 4 years now but never put a rear tire on the front.

tappin the talk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boss Hoss

Having several Boss Hoss', many guys used the rear motorcycle tire on the front due to the weight of the bike and a car tire on the rear. I know that it did last longer and for some reason it worked better in the rain.

There was a debate on weather to run the front tire backwards. Some liked it others didn't. So hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Go for it! I've been a double D man :)D) for years with no issues at all. On my XC I'm on my second rear CT and still on my first rear MT on the front and going strong. I hope to get 28k or more out of it. It handles at least as good as the stock E3. I'm running it in a forward rotation but KevinX has convinced me to go to the reverse rotation on the next one. I just don't remember why at the moment; just that he did convince my stubborn aversion to doing it that way. Honestly in all these years I have yet to hear of anyone who had any trouble running them in either direction.

I went with this one: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J8XC08?*Version*=1&*entries*=0[/ame]

The rule of thumb when mixing bias ply and radials on a motorcycle is the radial must be in back or you risk extreme handling issues.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I ran double-D on my Wing. I also mounted the front tire in reverse direction. I went double-D for longer mileage and better traction.

As to which direction to mount it ... I was told that because the Wing has reverse, the front tire has to be mounted in reverse so that when you're backing up, the tire is going in the right direction.... :devil

LOL ... just kidding but it sounds good.

Apparently the general consensus is it doesn't make much difference; however I do recall reading somewhere on the Goldwing forum there is a specific reason to mount it in reverse but I can't find that info.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bbob. I'm on the fence regarding the direction of the rotation. I really want to mount it in it's normal direction for water displacement. It's hard to believe a tire rated to 149mph would have issues in either direction. So even though you are planning to reverse your next one, you may have just convinced me otherwise!

I noticed you went with the 140. I assume it fit fine under your fender. Would you choose that size again next time?

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Okay so my curiosity got the better of me. Even though I had committed to memory to run the front tire, if it's a rear MT, in the reverse direction; I didn't remember why and now that I see it again it makes perfect sense.

The rear MT tread design is the opposite of a front MT design so if we use a rear MT on the front we need to turn it around for water displacement. If you look at the stock tires on any bike you will see this difference.

Now one would think they would be the same but they aren't. I'm sure there's a perfectly good scientific reason for this but that is above my paygrade. ;)

Here's a pic of Kevin's bike on the right (red and black) with his new fat front tire which is a rear MT and a stock front tire on the left (blue). I rarely ride in the rain which likely why it hasn't been an issue for me yet.

If you want to read more about it; go HERE.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Thanks Bbob. I'm on the fence regarding the direction of the rotation. I really want to mount it in it's normal direction for water displacement. It's hard to believe a tire rated to 149mph would have issues in either direction. So even though you are planning to reverse your next one, you may have just convinced me otherwise!

I noticed you went with the 140. I assume it fit fine under your fender. Would you choose that size again next time?
I think I addressed most of this in post number 8. As for tire size; I'm going with the fattest tire I can get under there but probably not as fat as the one Kevin used. Probably a 150 wide. I'd be happy with the 140 again though.

I take into account the type of riding I will do with this bike. I want the best stability I can get with the XC because of the various loads I will put on it or pull behind it. On the Kingpin though, because it fills another kind of riding besides touring, so I want it nimble, light, and quick.

·
13,002 Posts
don't understand running a rear on the front when they make a front 130/70-18
I don't know what stock is but why not go like Kevinx did for more benefit

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a "double darksider"..... 199-55-16 Toyo Proxes T1R on the rear and a pirreli angel GT 160-60-18 on the front, as has been mentioned, the front tire is mounted with the directional arrow reversed to aid in traction and water dispersal.

I have no issues at all, handling is great, traction is confident, wet handling awesome, and tires will last, if you go darkside on the rear, experiment with your tire pressure till you find your comfort level (mine is at 36 psi) beyond that enjoy!

As a side note, I rode darkside on a Vulcan 2000 for 9 years without incident, and many wingnuts are darksiders as well, so you have nothing to worry about except how to spend the money your saving by not having to buy tires every season

As to your tire choices, you might consider bigger fro the front, and a run flat for the rear, you are chosing a winter tire for the rear which may wear faster

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
I'm thinking of putting a tank track on mine ya'll are sissys with rubber tires. Steel to the ground for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm thinking of putting a tank track on mine ya'll are sissys with rubber tires. Steel to the ground for me.
I may go that route after I figure out how to mount a .50 cal to the front fairing :devil

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I was thinking of just getting some old bias ply truck tires... Or maybe I will just get off my wallet and by the correct motorcycle tires for my motorcycle. I rode my buddies bike that was darkside and anybody that says they can't tell the difference is a bold faced liar! Lol jk. Double Darkside your hearts out!

·
13,002 Posts
Maybe I missed it. What are the benefits of running a rear on the front? If its longevity how many miles do you avg?
There putting on a wider bigger tire for better traction and control

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
VisionJohnny.. I don't have an issue with the front ends traction or control so how does it affect handling or control if you will in a more positive manner? I would think the handling would suffer but not having run one I have no idea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bbob - Your side by side pic convinced me. I hadn't realized running in reverse gives the preferred water displacement. Thanks!

Also yes I was probably a bit too conservative choosing the stock size for the front. Next time...

I intentionally chose a snow tire for the rear based on input from others. It is indeed a run flat.

And my reason for a rear tire on the front is for hopefully more miles.

I run a car tire on the back because I like the wider contact patch and the durability. I ran a car tire on my VTX for six years and it was a very positive experience. I can certainly afford a motorcycle tire, but it is very annoying that they can charge so much money for so few miles. I suppose part of the reason I choose to do so is to "stick it to the man".

I appreciate all of the input. I started this as a new thread because most other darkside threads had been hijacked by haters. :frown

1 - 20 of 35 Posts