Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking bout trying to change my exhaust gaskets on my 2012 xr and wondering if y'all have any tips to make it easier
My 5 minutes job usually winds up being a all day thing

·
12,983 Posts
good beer and of coarse good music. Get wife to bring out a good lunch.
Hope you got Lloydz gaskets

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
That's no 5 minute job by any stretch. Wait for a day you can't ride, and like VJ posted, give yourself lots of time and do not use the Vic OEM ones. They are hard and difficult to get a good seal with and aftermarket ones are squishier.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I'm thinking bout trying to change my exhaust gaskets on my 2012 xr and wondering if y'all have any tips to make it easier
My 5 minutes job usually winds up being a all day thing
I went back to stock gaskets, coz it seems that the soft gaskets restrict the flow (see aftermarket gasket picture) @half_crazy gave me that info....

The "neck" of the aftermarket exhaust was a bit irregular, so i grinded it "more flat"

With install i handtighten the "neck" flange first and moved the exhaust slowly up/down by hand so i knew all the surface pressure by tightening the exhaust flange & neck onto the gasket & engine... was even spread and NOT slightly on a angle ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Why would you want to change the original gaskets ? Are they leaking ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
337 Posts
for my last bike i made my own from copper sheet material. i had 5 sets of pipes for it and would change them when ever my mood changed and never had a leak.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
auto parts

Bought mine new exhaust gaskets from Auto Zone. So far have worked good.-----Yes the old stock gaskets like to leak after a few thousand miles. You can try just tightening up the header pipe at the head first and see if that solves the leaks at first, but it may not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought mine new exhaust gaskets from Auto Zone. So far have worked good.-----Yes the old stock gaskets like to leak after a few thousand miles. You can try just tightening up the header pipe at the head first and see if that solves the leaks at first, but it may not.
What part number for the gaskets from Auto Zone?

Thanks in advance,
Smokier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts