Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 xc doesn't shift down into 2nd gear very well. On occasion, i need to press the shifter more then once to get it into gear. Does anyone else have/had this problem?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've got a 11...and yeah...it will do odd things like that once in a while. Not often.

I've never been able to put my finger on any sort of pattern so that I could maybe figure out why. I'd guess it has been about a year since it did the jamming up thing downshifting.

Mine also jumps out of second back into neutral once in a while. I wonder if yours does that as well?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Mine also jumps out of 2nd and back into neural sometimes but the down shifting bugs me more

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I've got a 11...and yeah...it will do odd things like that once in a while. Not often.

I've never been able to put my finger on any sort of pattern so that I could maybe figure out why. I'd guess it has been about a year since it did the jamming up thing downshifting.

Mine also jumps out of second back into neutral once in a while. I wonder if yours does that as well?
I have the same sort of problems with my 11. Jumps back from 2nd to neutral once in a while. Or seems to miss a shift between 1st and 2nd. It's always done it, but still pisses me off.

·
13,264 Posts
Does it jump because you didn't put it all the way into gear.
You have to have a firm foot

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does it jump because you didn't put it all the way into gear.
You have to have a firm foot
:rolleyes:

Or...maybe it's actually in gear and we forget to twist the throttle.
You have to have a good grip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a '11 that I purchased this year.

I am experiencing the same problems. It will jump from second to neutral once in a while. Additionally, Downshifting will create an excessive amount of clicks to actually get the correct gear. Pisses me off! When I had my 06 Vegas, I switched to AmsOil motorcycle which helped with smoother shifting and keeping the bike a little cooler.

Question.. Is anyone running AmsOil in there Cross Country? Has it helped some of the problems?

Also, I am comparing my 92 Vegas 8-ball to the CC, The CC motor seems to be significantly hotter then my Vegas. Anyone know what there temp there bikes run at? Either external or Oil.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I don't what is wrong with VIC designs but the transmission is the clunkiest I have ever seen.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can improve the shifting and remove excessive slop in the shift selector shaft by placing an oil drain plug copper washer on the shift selector shaft between the E clip and the primary cover. All that play allows the shift ratchet to improperly engage and rotate the shift star.

I have a 2011 too. This modification along with the Witchdoctors shift pedal pivot bushings made a huge difference. It feels like a short throw shifter compared to how the bikes come from the factory.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Tech I have the WD bushings and it didn't help the clunkyness . Just the slop.mare talking about putting that washer somewhere else?
Jim

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I don't what is wrong with VIC designs but the transmission is the clunkiest I have ever seen.
It's obvious you've never owned a BMW flat twin motorcycle. :D
Great motors, very positive shifting transmissions. Well, at least that's what we called it...sort of a justification :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tech 23,

Can you help us understand where the washer is that you are talking about? Pictures?

My Vegas was klunky however it was a very positive shift. I want that on my CC. Scares the crap outta me when I take off from the line hammer into second and it flips into Neutral.

Thanks Tech23

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mack, this has been covered a few times but unlike anything about oil, some of the great information here can be hard to find due to the thread title. In this case the title is perfect but would still be hard to locate without knowing where to look or the proper name. Stuff like this should be a sticky.

Look here. Forums - Tech and Performance - How to replace a shifter ratchet.

Then watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWiriF4gwM

·
13,264 Posts
Oil has nothing to do with it.

If its popping out of gear then start with good clutch adjustment. That you can only do when bike is overnight cold.

Now move on to shift linkage. Bike does not need to be running.
Pull in clutch and with your hand move shifter down to first. You should feel it go into gear and pedal stop. Now go up to second move pedal all the way up. Do you feel it go into gear or does it stop short before its all the way in gear. If it stops short adjust linkage
Your bikes are new enough so you should not have a problem getting all the way into gear. Even go to dealer and ask them

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Oil has nothing to do with it.

If its popping out of gear then start with good clutch adjustment. That you can only do when bike is overnight cold.

Now move on to shift linkage. Bike does not need to be running.
Pull in clutch and with your hand move shifter down to first. You should feel it go into gear and pedal stop. Now go up to second move pedal all the way up. Do you feel it go into gear or does it stop short before its all the way in gear. If it stops short adjust linkage
Your bikes are new enough so you should not have a problem getting all the way into gear. Even go to dealer and ask them
On my XCT, I can't shift into second when the bike is running but not moving forward and the clutch is pulled in. Are you able to shift into second when the bike is turned off but not moving? I thought the "feature" of being able to easily find neutral prevented this. A bad consequence of this "feature" is that you can't get the bike into 2nd or 3rd to push start it should that become necessary.

Where am I misunderstanding things?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's obvious you've never owned a BMW flat twin motorcycle. :D
Great motors, very positive shifting transmissions. Well, at least that's what we called it...sort of a justification :rolleyes:
That's funny there was a guy on BMW next to me this morning and I heard his bike shift over my loud pipes!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine since purchase. I thought that I was just shifting too quickly or not keeping the clutch pulled long enough. I am going to try and add the copper washer and see if that helps.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tech 23,

Can you help us understand where the washer is that you are talking about? Pictures?

My Vegas was klunky however it was a very positive shift. I want that on my CC. Scares the crap outta me when I take off from the line hammer into second and it flips into Neutral.

Thanks Tech23
The oil drain plug copper washer gets placed on the gear selector shaft against the E clip and will be between the E clip and the primary cover once re-installed...see the white circle. I have not yet placed the washer on the shaft in this picture. It reduces the excessive in and out movement of the selector shaft that can lead to the shift ratchet making poor contact with the shift star and not rotating the shift drum enough to fully engage the gears. With the bike parked engine off you can push in and pull out on the selector shaft and measure the amount of slop in there with a pocket ruler. Mine had 3.0mm of slop, the washer reduced it to about 1.5mm. This won't have much if any effect on the transmissions clunkiness but it will make the transmission more positive by reducing the excessive play these bike are built with. It seems the transmission is more clunky when shifted at lower RPM and less clunky a little further up in the RPM range.

I found this video that shows the copper washer installed on the selector shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bht74LzD0ls

Tech23

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
My 2010 Vegas used to slip back outta second when I first got the bike (14,400 kms)
After adjusting gear linkage closer to my boot and on advice from forum members I treat the trans like a 'toploader' or a 'Muncie' and slam the fucker into second.

No tyre chip like in my V8 Ford but it hasnt jumped back out since.
(78,000kms now so had plenty of shifts)
EDIT
Thats upshifts of course, just reread OP, downshifts sweet when going slow enough and revmatching.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts