Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I've had 4 bikes and have never paid over $4500. This is not because I'm cheap, it's because this is all I can afford. A kid that is a jr. in high school, one in college, 4 cars, mortgage, and so on. Believe it or not, I've had some pretty nice bikes.

Looking to buy #5. I've done a ton of research and reading here. Some of it disturbs me and some excites me about this vegas. I'm thinking that this is going to be the cleanest and best suited bike for me this time. I'm amazed at the number of Vicks for sale and more of the newer than older ones.

I live in mid-Miss and seems these bikes are rare here. That doesn't really matter. I've come across only one bike like the one I'm getting that has like 51,000 miles on it. I understand how guys like to change but I'd to like hear from any of you guys that have kept Victory's for enough years to put more than 20K on them.

In other words, I'm looking to this 2004 vegas for longevity. How many miles you got and what type of work has it needed? Good/bad, pros/cons, and do you have any regrets?

·
Registered
682 Posts
My 2003 has almost 33k on it, only problems were a dry rotted throttle body boot and a broken wire at the map sensor. The 92 motor is a brute. There's people with 100k+ on em. One guy donated his v92 to some big motorcycle museum with over 200k on it

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
An '04 is at least 10 years old. 50K is low miles for that age. My '13 Vision is near 15,400 miles. I have paid to have an oil change and have done one myself. They are no big deal on these bikes. Warranty claims in the first year was one, count them, one for a starter clutch replacement. My experience with other bikes led me to expect far more new bike claims. Soon I will need to replace my rear tire but I am in no hurry for that. My front brakes were shot at about 14,500 miles but a new set of pads at under $100 and 15 minutes of my time took care of that. I really need to get down on my belly and check the rear pad. It may also need replacing but so far it feels just fine. The adjustable timing wheel for my bike cost me very little but the '04 Vegas does not have that option. The ATS only works on the newer engines.
A lot depends on the type of riding you do. I pull long distances on mine so a Vegas would not work for me. If most of your trips are under 50 miles and you want raw performance, the Vegas may be ideal for you. They also look great to me but looks are always a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I've got almost 37000 on my 11 XR and other than oil and tire changes (on my 4th set) all I've had to replace is the oil seal around the shifter shaft (less than $2).

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I sold a 2005 Kingpin last week with over 58,000 miles on it. I broke a belt at 25,000 miles on it and 5clutch cables. Other than that, tires and oil.

I have a 2011 XR that just hit 37,000 miles today, I have had no problems with it so far.

If you like to ride, and not wrench, buy the. Vic.

Oh yea, I did have a fork seal spring a leak at 56,000 on the Kingpin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you like to ride, and not wrench, buy the. Vic.
Yep! This is me... except for oil, filters, and pads, not too crazy about wrenching. I'm all about riding.

I'm seeing some dismay around here concerning the slimming down of the Victory brand. Not worried about it as long as I can get parts for the 2004.

fork seal spring a leak at 56,000
Wow! I'm impressed if they had never been replaced.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The parts are out there. They aren't difficult to find. Y'all agreed on a price, the bike looks great, go pick it up and have fun!

·
Registered
682 Posts
If he wants to sell it bad enough he will work with you. But on the other hand, the trip would be worth it, it's a great looking bike

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I will be hitting the 10,000 mile mark on my bike before the weekend , it has NEVER been back to the dealer , and has had ZERO problems .

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This is not what your looking at but the bike is the same just different fender and paint. Now days he rides a vision

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/community/story/kingpin-iron-but-cruisers
Well! I'm impressed. I have not had a bike now for over a week. Longest time without one since 2011 and having withdrawals. My wife was getting on me the other day about how much I'm riding and how I need to cut back to just weekends... and so I left her!
____

:D Not really! I cannot stop. My love of riding has not been able to match the love for a particular bike. If all I could have was a scooter, I'd ride the wheels off in no time.

Matter of fact, I have truly loved all 4 bikes I've owned and took very good care of them but had no problem letting them go and I think it is because each bike had great things about them but did not have the total package.

Because $4500 is my self-imposed limit right now on any bike, I need and needed a bike that had all the stuff/bling and 4500 is very limiting. I feel like I did real good with this vegas! Got to see it and ride it first.

Previous bike had it all.... V/H pipes, shield, throttle lock, hwy pegs, mustang seats with back support, new tires, saddle bags, extra bag and baggage rack. I only had it 6 weeks and let it go due to poor gas mileage. Wrong bike at wrong time but I loved riding that monster.

I need this bike to be IT for a while and starting to think... may be the one.cheersthumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I will be hitting the 10,000 mile mark on my bike before the weekend , it has NEVER been back to the dealer , and has had ZERO problems .
I broke 13,500 today. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts