Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not as exciting as UFC 202 or anything like that but I thought I'd post up how my comparison goes. I just got them changed over tonight....let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My wife and I love our ultimate.

Reactions: geekydad

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know its not as exciting as UFC 202 or anything like that but I thought I'd post up how my comparison goes. I just got them changed over tonight....let's see how it goes.

I have been considering the Ultimate seat for a month now. I am very interested to hear what you think.

Couldn't make up my mind so I spent the money on a BigD hitch and rack system for longer camping trips. Great product.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was only able to take a short ride after putting the Ultimate on. My initial impression is good for the 10 miles I rode. The seating distance is the same as the DS but in its unbroken-in state the Ultimate is about 1/2" higher. I don't have short legs, I didn't notice any real difference putting my feet on the ground from the seat. I wasn't bothered at all by the seating position. I immediately felt easement on my tailbone due to the relief cut into the backrest of the Ultimate. The Ultimate feels very plush compared to what I'm used too. I'm looking forward to taking it on a long ride to find out if that plush support holds out as the hours roll by. The DS is a firmer seat but its support never seemed to wear out(ie: never felt like I was sitting on the pan)

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a good route planned for my spin to Mom's South today, looks like temps will go from 58 this morning to 87 by the afternoon. This should give me a good test of the Ultimate Seat...I'll report back later

·
Registered
239 Posts
Got a good route planned for my spin to Mom's South today, looks like temps will go from 58 this morning to 87 by the afternoon. This should give me a good test of the Ultimate Seat...I'll report back later
I'll gladly 'test' whatever seat you decide not to go with to see how much better it is than my stock XR seat! :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Enjoy the riding, Pain! I'm about to fire mine up and head to work!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After about 250 miles and ~7 hours of seat time today I've decided to return the Ultimate Seat.
The DS seat is more comfortable at the end of the day. Here's a few points I don't like about the Ultimate 1. the foam holds heat, as does the vinyl cover and it gets hot to sit on, 2. the wide edges pressure me in a way I don't care for, both when I extend my legs and put my feet on the ground, 3. it looks like a giant marshmallow on the bike and 4. I'm 6' 230lbs and I could already feel the support of the foam giving up at the end of my ride today.
To be honest, I couldn't wait to get off the bike....My butt cheeks and where edge was pressuring my legs, were stinging like I'd been paddled for 15min after I dismounted.

Reactions: vicxcrider16

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Glad they have an easy return policy. Different seats for different peeps.

Reactions: arkiebiker

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The Ultimate Seat is not for everyone. But in the 12 years in which I have owned 4 of them on 4 different bikes (well OVER 200,000 miles) and probably a dozen or so 17 hour (straight) rides, 3 ironbutts, and one bunbuster (1500 miles in 36 hours)...I gotta say, I'll stick with my Ultimate Seat. Yes, earlier in my riding experiences...I did try several other custom seats. Yeah, I'll stick with my Ultimate Seat.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I wish there was a place that had all the seats that would let you sit on them. It would be nice just to try them out before buying them without going through all the headache of buying them and shipping them back.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know lot's of people like the Ultimate Seats and if this was vs. stock the Ultimate would be an easy winner but for me, for the reasons I posted its not a good fit, while the DS is.
I really just had to know, since I was originally deciding between the DS and Ultimate last year its been bugging me as to which one would be more comfy....Now I won't be bugged anymore and you all have some info :wink

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wonder if ultimate will sell yours at a discount :p

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wonder if ultimate will sell yours at a discount :p
I'm sure they freshen it up and sell it as new. They were very adamant about the condition they expect it back in.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have the same DS seat and am very happy with it. I went to the DS from the narrow back XR seat so for me my comfort stayed about the same (I actually liked the factory seat) but my wife was glad to get more than twice the width and a flatter seat.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the same DS seat and am very happy with it. I went to the DS from the narrow back XR seat so for me my comfort stayed about the same (I actually liked the factory seat) but my wife was glad to get more than twice the width and a flatter seat.
The stock seat wasn't bad for a couple of hours, but its foam was typical and gave out, the DS has excellent support and it never fades. I realized something after riding on the Ultimate, after a long time in the saddle its the seams of my pants, pockets and underwear that start digging in, no seat is going to take that away. Its just a matter of getting off your butt every few hours.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
The stock seat wasn't bad for a couple of hours, but its foam was typical and gave out, the DS has excellent support and it never fades. I realized something after riding on the Ultimate, after a long time in the saddle its the seams of my pants, pockets and underwear that start digging in, no seat is going to take that away. Its just a matter of getting off your butt every few hours.
Airhawk R fills in the gap nicely.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have one....but I don't need it all the time. I like it for the end of a long ride day, when you're making that last leg to a destination. The AirHawk R lets air in, the cooling is nice at the end of the day plus its a change in feel.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wish there was a place that had all the seats that would let you sit on them. It would be nice just to try them out before buying them without going through all the headache of buying them and shipping them back.
They have a store in Daytona.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I've heard good things about that for years, on assorted forums, but I've never tried one.

For me, for less money, the BeadRider beads work well. I've had them on three bikes now, for about 15 years. They let you slide around (so no hot spots), and let air circulate. For really long (and, yes, boring, but sometimes you have to do these) superslab days -- I'm talking, say, 500+ mile days -- I've found that wearing overpants (FirstGear HT, in my case), in conjunction with the beads, makes it really easy on the butt.

If you have a bony ass, and not a lot of built-in butt padding, beads are probably not a god solution. Not the case with me.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts