Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a corner guy and love to lean. I was disappointed with the Judge on my first ride in the twisties because I, like most was dragging my mid controls. Well measuring intently and a suggestion by a member to check the stock shock setting. I did and went to work in compressing my spring (adjusting rebound/sag) a tad. I started with a full clockwise turn on the spring with my spanner tool and it worked! I am 5' 11" and 185 pounds. It is a little firmer but not much and more importantly no dragging!!! I went on a 30 min jaunt through the country on my twisty route and it's much much better if not perfect.. I may adjust her more if needed and will update. If you are heavier start with one full clockwise turn at a time and test ride. It made a marvelous difference for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good to hear. I am 5'9" and about 180lbs. I too have dragged my pegs around some corners.....but I am coming off of a Ducati Monster. I thought I just needed to alter my riding style. I will look into adjusting my pre-load too. Thanks for the input.... Long Live the Ovals!!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2008 Speed triple 1050 and know what you mean! Take off the seat and the left oval and go at it. Will only take about 30m to do but makes a world of diff. The sag is set too soft from the factory. Try 1 full turn, you may like another being used to a sport suspension. I couldn't believe it made that much difference but it does. Best of luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another way to increase height

I want more meat under my JUDGE so I started digging the best tire for my 3.5" stock wheel. The 160/180/16 is an awesome addition that gives more width (almost am inch) and is a half inch taller. This not only gives you better looks and handling but also raises the bike a hair to keep from dragging our mid controls!

On a separate note their are many of our Highball brothers running 170/70 16's but consequently where she is 1.3" wider and just squeezes on the 3.5" wide wheel it's also .25" lower than our stock tire meaning we will drag worse. Ideally the 180/70/16 would fit but I am told it is unsafe to put on a 3.5" wheel and needs the kingpin/cross tour / cross country / vision or Vegas rear wheel.. I may buy both the 160 and 180 and have my local shop do a small experiment for me.. ;)

Here is a tire calculator to use on your own if you need to:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
It's not that the mids are too low, it's that they are too far from the chassis centerline... too wide. Vegas controls give a lot more clearance. Those are what replaced the footboards on my Kingpin.

You could also stiffen up the forks a bit... but whatever you do to make the suspension taller will ultimately take away compliance/ride quality.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
A pair of these are going on mine....

http://thespeedmerchant.net/product/speed-pegs-for-all-hd-models-black-anodized/

WD carries them for the Vics...

I'm also interested in seeing the tire mentioned...these Dunlops have to go...
Those pegs are a great idea.
My factory pegs are starting to look like that anyway:)
Progressive shock really made a difference to my Vegas once the sag was set via the preload.
Handles, tracks, holds a line, much better than stock.
Having rode a Judge hard for 600 miles Im sure a shock upgrade would have the Judges really grinning.
Fork refresh is next on my list....just gotta stop riding long enough to do it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
You want to lean a Judge. Put on more forward pegs from a Vegas, and add a +1" Penske Shock from Conquest. Yes it jacks the unloaded tail a tiny bit, but it transforms the bike. I almost wrecked a mid control judge when I went through an S curve. Right was no problem but left transition I liffted the entire bike of the ground; on the peg mount

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I was dragging the stock pegs on my Highball like crazy and almost high sided it twice.... I put the 2" forwardea on and it was a hard lean to get them to drag afterwards.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You want to lean a Judge. Put on more forward pegs from a Vegas, and add a +1" Penske Shock from Conquest. Yes it jacks the unloaded tail a tiny bit, but it transforms the bike. I almost wrecked a mid control judge when I went through an S curve. Right was no problem but left transition I liffted the entire bike of the ground; on the peg mount
Pretty much what I did to my Judge, except I used the Pregressive shock. It made a huge improvement on lean angle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Changed my mind on those pegs...getting some Vegas controls...After looking where my bike is dragging in corners, it starts at the pegs, but the bottom of the mount is all scraped up...

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Changed my mind on those pegs...getting some Vegas controls...After looking where my bike is dragging in corners, it starts at the pegs, but the bottom of the mount is all scraped up...
Yeah same here....just gotta slow down
I went into a lh tightening curve töo quick yesterday
And nearly came to grief, 2 up the sidestand and peg and peg mount were dragging.
Then came an oncoming car (I'm in OZ lh side of the road remember)
Im almost on the centrelines already and my weights off to my left as much as possible, I take my foot off the scraping inside peg and rest it lightly on the road surface forcing the bike to hold a tighter arc and just managing to stay on my side of the road and clear the passing car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pegs

Got Conquest customs chamfered pegs on mine makes a big difference but had to buy two sets to match passenger pegs or it would look shitty;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts