Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change today, and it was a PITA because I didn't have a drain pan shallow enough to fit under the bike while it was on the kickstand. What drain pan do you guys use that fits?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I usually just park the bike over a storm drain. You're doing it the hard way!

lol, i'm kidding, please don't send the EPA to my house.

I have a 10-qt. pan I picked up at Walmart probably a decade ago. It's about 4 inches deep with a closed top that has a couple drain plugs in it. Handy dandy. I just kick it under the bike from the high side, then walk around and do my work on the low side.

Barring any of that, you can put a block under the kickstand to get you some clearance...or add air to the rear shock thumb up

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Wife's baking pan ... and she wonders why I never eat her baking LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got the same cheap Walmart pan as Luciferian, works fine on all my bikes!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I use one of those round black drain pans with a capped spout on it so when it's full, I just bring it to the oil recovery place and empty it out. It's low enough to slide under the bike on the side stand. Of course, my bike is not lowered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I completed an oil change last night as well as swapped my spark plugs for Iridiums and inserted a new K&N air filter. Took me 10-15 mins. I use the most common plastic drain pan thats about 6-8 inches tall as I also use this for my cars and truck. It would never fit without a lift but all I do is ride the front tire up onto one of my car tire ramps and put a few bricks under the kick stand and it give plenty of room under the bike.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Harley pan- blasphemy, I know but it seems great

No I have never owned a harley

Yes I am open minded about everyone should ride anything that they want. Period

Yes I just bought a harley product to service my victory (and other bikes)

Yes it looks like a VERY impressive piece of gear.

No I have not used it yet, snowed again today in ny

Yes I am sick of winter

http://houseofharley.com/en/products/for-the-bike/maintenance-manuals-and-brochures/63795-10__harleydavidson-lowprofile-oil-drain-pan-6379510

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, zxmikez, that's exactly what I was looking for. Have one on order.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That Harley pan is very nice! I picked up an 10 quart pan at Advanced for like 9 bucks. It barely clears the underside of the bike- not well enough to get the plug out, etc. Made a couple of small ramps with 3 scraps of 2x4. Cut an angle- easily pushes right up. Use the 3rd for the sidestand. Good to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I'm not doing it after work (I work in a Honda shop), I use one of those 10 liter aluminum foil pans you can find at the Dollar Store. It clears the bottom and can be bent into shape if it don't!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem with my oil pan since I have KP Low. I run my bike up on a couple of 2x10's and have a small 2x10 for the kick stand. Over it works pretty good, although I like the suggestions of using the foil pan or an old baking pan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a couple plastic pans (no top) that I've picked up over the years, they have fit under any bike I've needed to change oil on to this point.
Otherwise, I have used a cake pan in the past as well, just don't let the wife find out!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I raise the bike up on my lift and stick anything I want to put oil in under it. If you aint got a lift and you do your own bike work, you're working too hard ;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Until Victory sells a drain pan I will not change my oil.

·
12,970 Posts
very simple measure the distance from bottom of motor to ground. Then buy one a half inch lower. If you have a lowered bike run tire up on a block of wood.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts