Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay, at least i think it is a ping. it only happens under load. sounds like a chirping sound. I remember it happening when i put the lloydz ats on at +6. I changed it to +4 and the sound went away. (that was last summer)

Last night i put the power commander 5 on (with a map from the VIC SHOP) and took it for a spin (cautiously with wet roads). i could hear the ping again. Only under load/acceleration, not while idling or coasting. it has just rained heavily so the ride was short.

this morning it was dried out so i took the bike out again. no ping. MORE POWER!!!! no ping. Very happy with the new feel of the bike, need to take it out again for a longer time but I'm wondering....

could the cold damp air cause it to ping?

Thanks
Adam

2012 CCT
Lloydz ATS
Lloydz Air Filter
D&D Pipes

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
If it was a chirping sound, are you sure it's not the belt/pulley? The belt only chirped for me under acceleration (until I fixed it).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was a chirping sound, are you sure it's not the belt/pulley? The belt only chirped for me under acceleration (until I fixed it).
no, i'm not sure. I don't know for sure what a ping sounds like. i read a post once before that said it sounded like a chirp, but most say it sounds like a rattle. how does one know if it is a pulley problem?

Adam

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Pinging sounds like marbles rattling in a coffee can. A chirp would be the belt being out of alignment.
You mention "under load" and that has me thinking you are lugging the engine. The 106 loves to rev - shift at 3K+ rpms. Don't ride under 2500 rpms. Its a motorcycle, not a farm tractor. Ride it like a motorcycle. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
You can try putting some soap from a bar of soap on the edge of the belt and see if it temporarily helps your problem. If it does, then you know what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Marbles in a can, or stones hitting the engine. Imagine the sound of either one of those.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Marbles in a can, or stones hitting the engine. Imagine the sound of either one of those.

Yes and can destroy pistons, what octane fuel are you using?
All engines are different...after a series of generic dyno tunes I went to an expert who actually fine tunes as opposed the letting a computer program do it...
Fred at Procycle took a shitload of fuel out of mine and took eleven degrees out of my timing!
HP jumped by ten as did Torque!
Well worth getting a proper tune.
Cheaper than a rebuild.

Ping is the sound of the piston crying for help as the explosive flame front hits it to force it back down.....only problem is the spinning crank is still forcing the piston upwards...
Think about whats going on inside.

·
13,003 Posts
pining is a dull sound and not go away if you give it gas.
You might want to look for a new map that is a little richer at the speed you hear the pinging.
with cooler weather I wouldn't think you would hear ping it happens more in hot weather.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Pinging is the fuel mixture exploding instead of burning as it should. If you are using regular, switch to premium as it burns slower, helping to resist detonation or pinging.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
An engine that has a ping. Also called spark knock, preignition or detonation. The timing has to much advance. Also lower octane fuel will ignite early if excessive heat is present.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Your map likely added timing in addition to your timing wheel, which you already determined was as advanced as the engine could handle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot disagree with anything that's been said. I just know I heard the sound (chirping) last summer when I installed the ATS at +6. I immediately went to my garage and adjusted it to +4. Sound gone.

The sound returned Saturday night after putting the power commander on. Sunday night it was gone with no change to setup.

This darn rain and my work schedule is preventing me from investigating further. I will do so as soon as I can. Thanks for the help folks!

Adam

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pinging sounds like marbles rattling in a coffee can. A chirp would be the belt being out of alignment.
You mention "under load" and that has me thinking you are lugging the engine. The 106 loves to rev - shift at 3K+ rpms. Don't ride under 2500 rpms. Its a motorcycle, not a farm tractor. Ride it like a motorcycle. :)
I used the words "under load" as a way to express that it only happens under acceleration and not idling.

I know what you mean by lugging the engine. I'll have to looking into the belt alignment to at least remove that as a possibility.

Adam

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
timing wheel

lloydz timing wheel is said to function thru all rpm's the PCV don't tune at lowest RPM's but the tune needs to allow for the "wheel's" advance throughout the tune!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
***update***

thought i would update the thread for future readers...

I put soap on the sides of the belt and the noise I was hearing is gone. so that chirp that i heard was definitely a belt chirp and not a ping. thanks for the diagnostic suggestion RICZ!

very weird how it seamed to start when i add certain performance modifications, but there you go...

thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
13,173 Posts
I cannot disagree with anything that's been said. I just know I heard the sound (chirping) last summer when I installed the ATS at +6. I immediately went to my garage and adjusted it to +4. Sound gone.

The sound returned Saturday night after putting the power commander on. Sunday night it was gone with no change to setup.

This darn rain and my work schedule is preventing me from investigating further. I will do so as soon as I can. Thanks for the help folks!

Adam
The PC-V can advance timing above 2500 rpm so what I did on mine since I put the timing wheel in is disabled any timing advance by the PC-V so it wouldn't run lean or too advanced at any rpm.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The PC-V can advance timing above 2500 rpm so what I did on mine since I put the timing wheel in is disabled any timing advance by the PC-V so it wouldn't run lean or too advanced at any rpm.
I am using a map from Rylan at the Vic Shop, he recommended a +4 setting on the timing wheel, with that map I am using. I assume the map is created with that in mind.

I am 9+ hours away from him and it was very cool that he puts those maps on his website, free for the taking. I will order a t-shirt, however, to help the cause.

I know it's not the same as giving my bike to him for a few hours, but this thing runs a lot better than it did before.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I put soap on the sides of the belt and the noise I was hearing is gone.
Now the thing to do is adjust and align the belt according to the manual. If you need help or moral support with that,click on the link in my sig for contact info.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Now the thing to do is adjust and align the belt according to the manual. If you need help or moral support with that,click on the link in my sig for contact info.
yep, done. i updated my other thread on this but i should've stated that here. still hearing that howling sound, though. thanks for your help on this.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Sure its not just the gear drive primary yr hearing??
What pipes you got?
Stock pipes and yer gonna hear all zorts of mechanical symphonies!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts