Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an off-the-wall question. I've riden bikes off and on for years now and I know about wearing appropriate clothing (helmet, jeans/ chaps, jacket, boots...)But, I am looking at a Hammer and would use it almost daily (weather permitting) The issue is, I'm an architect and work in an office. I dont usually wear a suit and tie, but almost every day is "business casual" which is usually khakis with dress shoes. I know that not every one on here who rides works in a welding shop, so there has got to be other business types out there. How do you guys handle the dress code issue???

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I have an off-the-wall question. I've riden bikes off and on for years now and I know about wearing appropriate clothing (helmet, jeans/ chaps, jacket, boots...)But, I am looking at a Hammer and would use it almost daily (weather permitting) The issue is, I'm an architect and work in an office. I dont usually wear a suit and tie, but almost every day is "business casual" which is usually khakis with dress shoes. I know that not every one on here who rides works in a welding shop, so there has got to be other business types out there. How do you guys handle the dress code issue???
I wear business casual everyday and ride everyday to work (except when it rains, which is hardly ever where I live). I ride with a light jacket over, which goes in my saddle bag once I park. If it's a hot day, I ride in my dress shirt. I am an engineer and sometimes I carry plans rolled up in my saddle bag - 24x36 plans fit like a glove... thumb up

·
Registered
851 Posts
Same here, business casual everyday. I do wear the heavier style dress slacks. Deep down I know that it won't help me THAT much but hey, it makes me feel a little better. Normally I were a Polo style shirt but have worn a shirt and tie as well. For boots I wear semi-dressy harness ones like these

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I ride in Khakis, a shirt under whatever jacket I take depending on weather, and steel toed boots. The latter is a requirement on our shop floor anyway, so I'm covered if I need to go out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wear a dress shirt and pants every day and wear them when I ride. Occasionaly I'll wear boots but usually just my dress shoes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Boots, Helmet?:confused: Think I'll stay out of this thread wac

·
Registered
81 Posts
dress code

This is one of the best questions I've ever read on this forum. A) you had the "nads" to ask the question and b) its legit because it affects you as a rider.

I've ridden my whole life, originally dirt then the older I got led me to the street. I think what's important is that you ride regardless. I'm a proponent of boots and helmets but if you can't wear boots, wear something that won't slip on the street when you stop at a light. My job doesn't require biz casual but on meetings etc I do what I got to do. If you got saddle bags wear your boots, bag the cole haans. Just ride and do what works for you. I severely vote against leather sole dress shoes on the ride. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
attire

Regarding boots and helmets? It should always be a personal choice but I wear both because I"ve lost too many brothers who lost it all by not wearing a helmet. I protect what I can't afford to lose but embrace those that choose not to wear one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Atgatt

I wear over pant mesh pants and a hiviz mesh jacket. Black boots go with my business casual wear just fine. You are riding during the busiest time of the day with drivers that are afraid of coming in last place. Dress for the crash and don't worry about how you look.

·
Registered
442 Posts
^ beat me to it. Overpants might be the ticket for your predicament (a totally valid one that a lot of corporate riders face!)

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I ride everyday so whatever I have on is riding clothes:D I have to wear a collard shirt jeans and steal-toe boots to work.
I have a 75 mile round trip commute to work and back and most of it is 65 and 75 speed limit so I wear a full face helmet.

Don't tell mom but I've worn flip-flops and swimming trunks to the lake:eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You obviously don't ride on a military installation :D
Agreed. I'm retired Air Force and they were mandatory at every base I was stationed at. We also had to go through a grueling rider safety course. One of the items I remember from that was we had to go over a small telephone pole lying across the road!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wear over pant mesh pants and a hiviz mesh jacket.
Great idea.How do you avoid marking the top of your left boot from the shifter?

You are riding during the busiest time of the day with drivers that are afraid of coming in last place. Dress for the crash and don't worry about how you look.
This is why I travel the much less traveled route to the office that winds me through the tons of thoroughbred horse farms which surround my home here in central Kentucky.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input guys. I figured during foul weather, or during "suit" days when I'm meeting business clients, I will drive my truck, but the rest of the time I will be wanting to be on the bike.
Should I put something over the shifter to prevent my shoes from getting marred? I'm retired military and so I still keep my shoes shined. (old habits never die, lol). My ATV fourwheeler keeps my left work boot scuffed up from the shifter, and I dont want this to happen to my dress shoes. The idea of nice black boots shounds like the way to go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts