Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vegas has the Stage 1 kit. The airbox has intake mesh on the left cover (the part that you remove to get to the (K&N) filter cartridge.
Can I (and should I) drill holes on the right hand side of the airbox (obviously in the front section, before the air passes through the filter element)? Would there be any benefit, or even more important, any risk or detriment to doing this? Don't want to screw up the reliability as the bike's already running just fine...
Thoughts? Here's a pic of the airbox....

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Since drilling holes would allow a higher air volume to flow through, possibly getting your bike a tad too lean, one question persists in my mind: Do you have a fuel controller in place, or are you willing to add one once the holes are drilled?

Aside from that aspect, the holes can't be too bad of an idea. Make sure you drill holes at the bottom as well, in case any moisture gets it, so it can drip out at the bottom. Speaking of moisture, you'll have to be extra careful when you wash the bike if holes are drilled. Water will be your worst enemy.

Also, you might want to consider an aftermarket air intake all together (ie. S&S).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Since drilling holes would allow a higher air volume to flow through, possibly getting your bike a tad too lean, one question persists in my mind: Do you have a fuel controller in place, or are you willing to add one once the holes are drilled?

Aside from that aspect, the holes can't be too bad of an idea. Make sure you drill holes at the bottom as well, in case any moisture gets it, so it can drip out at the bottom. Speaking of moisture, you'll have to be extra careful when you wash the bike if holes are drilled. Water will be your worst enemy.

Also, you might want to consider an aftermarket air intake all together (ie. S&S).
Thanks Crossroads; not sure if the conversion included a fuel controller - how can I tell?
Kevin, noted your comments about the 7/8th dia holes...thanks. Is there a reason for that specific diameter? Just wondering....

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Thanks Crossroads; not sure if the conversion included a fuel controller - how can I tell?
Kevin, noted your comments about the 7/8th dia holes...thanks. Is there a reason for that specific diameter? Just wondering....
One real good reason. It fits!! As for mixture. You can get away without any changes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Airbox update!

So I went to drill the front of the airbox. Removed the horn, thought...."hmmm, I'll take off the side cover and check from the inside" (facing front of the bike)...and there's already a 2 inches square hole, right behind the horn! No need for more holes, me thinks.
So, I put away the drill, refitted the horn and away we go....maybe already an upgraded airbox?

·
Registered
526 Posts
So I went to drill the front of the airbox. Removed the horn, thought...."hmmm, I'll take off the side cover and check from the inside" (facing front of the bike)...and there's already a 2 inches square hole, right behind the horn! No need for more holes, me thinks.
So, I put away the drill, refitted the horn and away we go....maybe already an upgraded airbox?
I think they're all like that.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
I think they're all like that.
Yeah they are, if you go to a lloydz or S and S or Ness filter to rellace your factory airbox youll get the biggest gain. But you will need a controller at least.
A bit of moisure in the intake charge wont hurt anything, I ride in torrential rain at times with Torquetubes and no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
Can we get independent verification that you have no ill effects?:D
well I do get wet and soggy and a little cold, my goggles may fog up:)
but it doesn't faze the bike:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
modded air box

Know this is an old post, but thought I'd add; the pic is of the right side of my air box. cut out with a dremel then epoxied screen for the big bugs. Relocated horn to open front hole and also screened, K&N filter from stage 1 kit. No controller, been that way since 2007. Cross country trip in 2008, all kinds of weather, avg. 48mpg; [email protected] in 1/4 mile.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
My Jackpot had the large hole in the front of the box, my buddy has a '12 Vegas 8ball and it has no large hole.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
my 2010 Vegas had a large frontal opening stock, its long since in the bin all cut up and replaced first by a Ness Ram then when I could afford I went the whole hog with Torquetubes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts