Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this and couldnt find it. Someone posted about drilling a small hole in the filler neck to aid in filling. Who was it? And where to drill?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I remember reading that post, I don't remember who it was, but he did not use a drill he used an owl and punched 2 holes about 1/2" from the top of tank leaves no metal grindings, I have not done this although have considered it.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put your drill away, stop trying so hard to DO things to this motorcycle.
Sorry, i do things to this motorcycle to make it mine, to make it fit me better, and to make it more functional. I am not one to just get use to it. I am 6'3" this bike is built for the average size person, so i make adjustments as needed. I built my last bike so this is nothing!

Thanks John, i may try that!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have any real trouble filling, just when it gets to the bottom of the neck and i have to stop and wait for it to settle. 90% of the pumps that i seem to fill at dont have a easy on feel to them so when i try to just get that little bit it kinda shoots out. If i could i would cut the bottom off the neck all together.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sorry, i do things to this motorcycle to make it mine, to make it fit me better, and to make it more functional. I am not one to just get use to it.
Drilling a tank is not a smart idea (1 spark = bomb) especially when all you need to do in order to fill it easier is to simply point the gas nozzle straight DOWN (yep, as exactly perpendicular as possible). 99% of everyone filling any gas tank have ALWAYS tried to have some angle on them. I guess it's just due to the way we fill cars but this tank REQUIRES you to make the nozzle as vertical as possible in order to allow no splash and a fast flow (you can pull the level all the way and fill at full speed using this method)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Venture

I used to own an '06 Royal Star Venture. A lot of the guys with those bikes did the same ... punched a hole in the side of the filler neck to stop the backwash/splashing as well as being able to get a bit more gas into the tank.

DO NOT use a drill !! Use an sharp pointed PUNCH and a Dead Blow hammer.

It's important to use a dead blow (non metal) type hammer soas to prevent any sparks.

Have the tank full of gas. The reason for this is to cut down on the amount of fumes from the gas... less gas in the tank, more fumes to ignite and we should all know it's the fumes that will ignite/explode, not the actual gas.

Protect the area with a rag wrapped around the punch so that only the point is protruding.

Position the point where you want the hole to go and whack the end of the punch with the hammer.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Sorry, i do things to this motorcycle to make it mine, to make it fit me better, and to make it more functional. I am not one to just get use to it. I am 6'3" this bike is built for the average size person, so i make adjustments as needed. I built my last bike so this is nothing!

Thanks John, i may try that!

I'm 6'6" and fit my bike perfectly. :rolleyes:

Fill from left, problem solved. If someone is not patient enough to fill a 5 gallon tank slowly enough to make this work...oh, never mind. It's your bike, tinker away.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Guys ... why diss a person for doing something they feel is useful TO THEM.

·
13,177 Posts
I don't have any real trouble filling, just when it gets to the bottom of the neck and i have to stop and wait for it to settle. 90% of the pumps that i seem to fill at don't have a easy on feel to them so when i try to just get that little bit it kinda shoots out. If i could i would cut the bottom off the neck all together.

Just don;t put the nozzle in so far. Look how big the opening is now. Drilling a hole in the neck would not do any good. The air has to come out of the tank to fill so a extra little hole would do no good.
If you did put a hole in the neck how would you stop gas from seeping out.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok heres what i did, its on the left side(as i sit on the bike) i punched one hole about 1/8" in diameter to allow air out while filling. The gas wont seep out anywhere, the neck just extends down in the tank i am not sure of its purpose besides to give a level of full.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just don;t put the nozzle in so far. Look how big the opening is now. Drilling a hole in the neck would not do any good. The air has to come out of the tank to fill so a extra little hole would do no good.

The design causes that same air to "back flow" the gas thru the fill hole and if the gas is coming out the fill spout too quick, you get splashing back onto your tank... and sometimes more. The extra hole allows the air to escape without back flowing the gas.

If you did put a hole in the neck how would you stop gas from seeping out.

You put the hole below the seal of the gas cap.
We like to fill the tank to the top as much as possible. In order to do that we have to hold the end of the gas pump nozzle close to the opening (not down into the tank) once the tank gets close to full. If the flow is too great (which sometimes is hard to regulate on some pumps) we either don't get a full tank or we wind up getting gas splashed back onto the tank. Because the fill neck goes deeper into the tank, then the only thing that allows the air to escape is that little wee breather. This causes a bit of a vacuum effect and it then becomes a PITA to try and get the gas topped off.

This is the same thing that happens in your cage. If you pull the gas nozzle back a bit and fiddle with the flow, you can often times get a lot more gas in.

It's the same idea on the scoot but the extra hole just makes it easier and less chance of slopped gas.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ok heres what i did, its on the left side(as i sit on the bike) i punched one hole about 1/8" in diameter to allow air out while filling. The gas wont seep out anywhere, the neck just extends down in the tank i am not sure of its purpose besides to give a level of full.
It's purpose is to pi$$ people off when they slop gas all over LOL!

Have you tried filling up since doing this yet?

You might find the hole could be bigger.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No i have not, i figured if i need to i can go bigger. Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
More gas in tank when filling up!

I tried filling from the left, got gas all over my tank twice.

Vertical works great for me and I found out by accident that if you happen to park on a incline whilst filling the tank you can definately get more gas in the tank. My range read 299 instead of the usual 260, yes they're both more than you can realistically get but is shows the difference from a usual referance.

I had a feeling when I was filling up the tank this time on the incline that it would fill it up more by allowing more gas in the tank in the back and then filling towards the front and sure enough the new Range proved my feelings correct because as soon as I took off and the range reset to 299 which had never once been higher than 260, usually around 245 - 255.

The incline was somewhat considerable and just happens to be at a gas station near me and only at one pump, LOL! thumb up

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I found out by accident that if you happen to park on a incline whilst filling the tank you can definately get more gas in the tank.
Somewhat rare to find a gas station with an incline at the pump tho ... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a couple here like that, i avoid them. I figure my own mileage and filling like that will throw it off from stop to stop unles you go back there every time. Your range is calculated by the mileage, if your bike says you are getting better average mileage your range will be farther, but my average mileage on the bike has always read about 4mpg high.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts