Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my drive belt today. I'm not really surprised as it is the original belt. There are only 15k on the bike but it is an 04. I was in the throttle pretty good when it broke. My question is are there any options for drive belts besides the stock belt? I was hoping to find something a little stronger than what I had. The bike has a lot of torque so stronger would be better. Maybe something Kevlar reinforced???

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Count the teeth in the belt, my belt is 147 I think...

Gates makes high-strength belts, but the longest one is 139 teeth. I run a Goodyear belt for a Buell 1125R (145 teeth) because of my smaller front pulley. Just got lucky and found that.

·
13,177 Posts
Guys with way more horse power then what you have run belts and they last 80 thousand miles or more.
My guess is your belt was out of alignment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys with way more horse power then what you have run belts and they last 80 thousand miles or more.
The belt had no alignment or tension issues. It was originally designed for a 92ci engine. It was 9+ years old and I have no idea of the bikes history before I bought it. I read that when Victory introduced the 100 & 106 engines they also put stronger belts on them. Hopefully the replacement belt is beefier than the original.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an '04 V92TC, and the belt broke when the previous owner had it a around 7500 miles.
I've got 12,5000 on the bike now. Hopefully, they got it right when it was replaced. the manual says 30k miles I think.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an FYI...The stock 04 kingpin belt (3211088) has 142 teeth.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's a fastball on the outside corner :ltr:. I read somewhere that the pitch is 14mm but I am not certain.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Or a small rock was introduced between it and the pulley. My old KP had the original belt when I traded it in at 85k miles, and it had the same power specs as your bike. I ran it hard down the 1/4 mile track a few times too. As far as I know, it's new owner is still using the same belt.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
most belts break because of a rock . second reason is running too loose and the belt "stacks on top of a pulley tooth. third reason is poor alignment and heat. Last of course is production flaw or low build quality.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually just noticed a 1/2" nick on the outside of my drive belt and it has some thread showing. The tear doesn't go all the way through but im replacing it tomorrow. Its funny/sad cause as I was on my way to my local dealer to have them inspect it to see if in fact it needed to be replaced and BAM!!! The accelerator throttle cable broke...snapped right in half!

Luckily I was only a few miles from my house and had a trailer there; my brother came and picked me up but of course not one dealer in California had throttle cables.

I had to leave for Texas yesterday and brought the bike with me. Im getting BOTH cables put in and im gonna do the drive belt while its in there.

The bike is a 2005 Vegas with the 92c.i. and 12,300 miles.

·
13,177 Posts
On one of my H-D's I picked up a rock in the middle of the belt. I worked it out cause it was all most all the way threw and drove it 30 thousand miles before i replaced it.
Like you had a friend get a tear on the edge of the belt and with in twenty five miles it let go.
Or belts a very strong and Vic saying to replace at 15 thousand is all BS. I just don't think they know how far a belt will go or they want our money.

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
On one of my H-D's I picked up a rock in the middle of the belt. I worked it out cause it was all most all the way threw and drove it 30 thousand miles before i replaced it.
Like you had a friend get a tear on the edge of the belt and with in twenty five miles it let go.
Or belts a very strong and Vic saying to replace at 15 thousand is all BS. I just don't think they know how far a belt will go or they want our money.
Too many variable to say for sure. Weight of passengers and luggage/tools/etc., style of riding, hp/tq, terrain (hilly/flat), belt adjusted correctly, belt dirty with sand or oil or ?... climate, etc... how much stop and go traffic or high speed runs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine just broke today at 34K. The local dealer, of coarse does not have one in stock. So I guess I am in the cage for a few days. I am about to start looking but if anyone can point to a good video or instructions on whats involved in putting a new one on, that would be great. While I was sitting by the road waiting for my Dad to bring the trailer I called the dealership and asked how much they would charge. I had planned on going on a trip this weekend and I won't be able to do it till Saturday. They said it's a three hour job, I thought I had heard it's not that big a deal. So with the Belt he said I was looking at $500.00, I think I will have to forgo the trip and do this myself.

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
Mine just broke today at 34K. The local dealer, of coarse does not have one in stock. So I guess I am in the cage for a few days. I am about to start looking but if anyone can point to a good video or instructions on whats involved in putting a new one on, that would be great. While I was sitting by the road waiting for my Dad to bring the trailer I called the dealership and asked how much they would charge. I had planned on going on a trip this weekend and I won't be able to do it till Saturday. They said it's a three hour job, I thought I had heard it's not that big a deal. So with the Belt he said I was looking at $500.00, I think I will have to forgo the trip and do this myself.
Definitely do this yourself. If you can change a tire on a car you should be able to do this job. Plus you will get to know your bike a bit better. You will need to readjust it anyway in a few hundred miles anyway.

Do you have a lift of some kind to get the rear wheel off the deck?

One of my pet peeves is the dealerships don't carry basic items like this. I can understand not carrying items that almost never get ordered but belts break, unfortunately, and having to wait for a replacement to come in the mail is a double blow. What about people who are on the road and make to the nearest Victory dealership and then have to sit in a motel for a week while the part is ordered and shipped? Like I said; one of my pet peeves.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Definitely do this yourself. If you can change a tire on a car you should be able to do this job. Plus you will get to know your bike a bit better. You will need to readjust it anyway in a few hundred miles anyway.

One of my pet peeves is the dealerships don't carry basic items like this. I can understand not carrying items that almost never get ordered but belts break, unfortunately, and having to wait for a replacement to come in the mail is a double blow. What about people who are on the road and make to the nearest Victory dealership and then have to sit in a motel for a week while the part is ordered and shipped? Like I said; one of my pet peeves.
Mine also but I love finding something cheaper and better. Vic can kiss never mind.

·
Registered
539 Posts

I do not have a lift, I have been meaning to get one, but not yet. How hard would it be without one? I read another thread where KevinX said it could be done beside the road if you had too, so I assume a lift is not mandatory. From what I have read so far I have to loosen the rear wheel and push it forward, I am thinking that will be difficult sitting on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I do not have a lift, I have been meaning to get one, but not yet. How hard would it be without one? I read another thread where KevinX said it could be done beside the road if you had too, so I assume a lift is not mandatory. From what I have read so far I have to loosen the rear wheel and push it forward, I am thinking that will be difficult sitting on the ground.
Superman could do it no sweat.:)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts