Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Jackpot with about 10,000 miles on it. My drive belt is chirping quite badly and you can see it is riding on the outside wall of the rear pulley. Had a mechanic tell me the belt is worn ans there is not any adjustment left in it. Is 10,000 miles about right for the belt life?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I have a 2007 Jackpot with about 10,000 miles on it. My drive belt is chirping quite badly and you can see it is riding on the outside wall of the rear pulley. Had a mechanic tell me the belt is worn ans there is not any adjustment left in it. Is 10,000 miles about right for the belt life?
You can look at the swingarm and see if there is adjustment left. That would only be true if the rear axle is all the way back in the swingarm.

About an inch of adjustment left:

Put the bike on a bike jack. Lay on the floor and spin the rear wheel. Adjust the belt to ride in the center of the front pulley and have proper tension. That's the best it gets. If the belt is not tracking center of the front pulley it's not aligned right.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is interesting to me as I have about 8400 on my 2008 Jackpot. Asides from adjustment there are numerous threads about "dressing the belt". The head tech at my own Victory shop (MOM's South) told me that when I bought they bike they will tend to squeel a little when the are cool and to occassionally check the alignment of the belt and to rub plain ivory soap on the tooth side of the belt once a month to minimize it. I don't have the manual in front of me but I'm pretty sure that the distance before replacement/inspection was a lot higher than 10K.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Any 'dressing' you put on the belt will attract and hold dust/dirt and shorten belt life.

·
Registered
214 Posts
See that's what I thought too. As far as my experience is concerned when mine does squeak its only on slightly cooler but still humid mornings and only until the bike has moved a few miles to warm the belt up. I do check every month or two to make sure the belt is aligned correctly.

·
12,970 Posts
He is Flat Out Lying to you. You can get a 100 thousand miles out of a belt.
You can do what I did and rub the outer edge of the belt with candle wax. Its been 3 thousand miles now and all is quiet. Here is instruction on how to adjust your belt you have to get the rear wheel off the ground. Read it two or three times and download it to your computer.

·
12,970 Posts
MAINTENANCE
NOTE: To minimize change in belt tension, use LEFT
SIDE adjuster only (E) to make final adjustments to
belt alignment.
Rear Wheel Alignment - Final
D
E
4. Turn adjuster nuts (D) to achieve:
• Recommended belt tension
• Wheel alignment (marks equal both sides)
5. When is correct, check and adjust final
as follows:
6. Rotate thewheel BACKWARD. Tighten LEFTrear axle
adjuster until belt to track to right sprocket
flange (outboard) during backward wheel rotation.
7. Rotate the wheel in FORWARD direction. Loosen
LEFT rear axle adjuster until belt moves off the right
flange and begins to track to left sprocket flange
(inboard) during forward wheel rotation.
8. Tighten rear axle nut to 88 Nm (65 lb-ft).
9. Torque both axle adjuster nuts to 11 N-m (8 lb-ft).
10. Pump rear brake pedal several times to reset brake
pad distance.
11. Verify wheel rotates smoothly and freely without drag
when brake pedal is released.
belt tension
wheel alignment
begins
Be sure to keep axle seated forward
against axle adjusters during this procedure.
© 2009 Polaris Sales Inc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts