Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the belt is to loose it chirps, it its to tight it groans. If it is adjusted right is it supposed to be whisper quiet? Mine is adjusted to spec on my cross roads and makes a light whirling noise from the rear pully when traveling fast

How does yours sound?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,177 Posts
screw the specs. Get it so it tracks in the middle of pulley with about 1/2" up and down play.

If you think your belt is right go for ride and when you get around 60mph take your hands off the bars. If bike goes quick left its not correct. It should go straight and "slowly" right. If it goes fast right its not correct.

If it goes straight and you have the sound you could have a bad pulley.
Dealers have replace belt and pulley under warranty

of coarse it would of been nice if you said what model and year you have

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2012 cross roads classic le

The specs says 1/1/4" up and down

So it should make no noise at all? I can only hear a whirling noise around 69 mph if I pull in the clutch and let the bike coast. If cruising exhaust sound covers up the sound

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
The specs says 1/1/4" up and down
THAT IS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Bike on lift overnight cold....half way between the pulleys, push up 10 pounds worth and the belt should move up 1-1/4". Do that ever 1/4 turn of the rear wheel. Get yourself one of these....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4748-Belt-Tension-Gauge/dp/B009S4SYP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434514876&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+belt+tension+gauge[/ame]

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If the belt is to loose it chirps, it its to tight it groans. If it is adjusted right is it supposed to be whisper quiet? Mine is adjusted to spec on my cross roads and makes a light whirling noise from the rear pully when traveling fast

How does yours sound?

LOL.
Do you have a stock exhaust or are you pulling in the clutch at speed to hear the belt?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL.
Do you have a stock exhaust or are you pulling in the clutch at speed to hear the belt?
LOL I have the stage one kit. I pull in the clutch to listen to the belt. Im obsessive compulsive disorder I think. LOL Everything needs to be perfect.

I cant hear it unless I pull in the clutch and let the bike coast. If I'm on the throttle the exhaust noise covers up the belt noise.

So now.....should the belt make any sound at all or whisper?

I would assume some sound should be there right doing 60 mph?

Thanks for the input guys.

There's no other Vics around here I can compare mine to.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
LOL I have the stage one kit. I pull in the clutch to listen to the belt. Im obsessive compulsive disorder I think. LOL Everything needs to be perfect.

I cant hear it unless I pull in the clutch and let the bike coast. If I'm on the throttle the exhaust noise covers up the belt noise.

So now.....should the belt make any sound at all or whisper?

I would assume some sound should be there right doing 60 mph?

Thanks for the input guys.

There's no other Vics around here I can compare mine to.
Definitly OCD...Just ride the thing

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
you would go absolutely nuts with mine, i live in gravel, belt will be quiet on my way to work, squeek like crazy at noon, and quiets down again on my way home, if i can stay off the gravel, its quiet always, but i cant.

·
13,177 Posts
by the way the belt is not under load when you pull in the clutch so it would be quiet.

If you think your belt is right go for ride and when you get around 60mph take your hands off the bars. If bike goes quick left its not correct. It should go straight and "slowly" right. If it goes fast right its not correct.

If it goes straight and you have the sound you could have a bad pulley.
Dealers have replace belt and pulley under warranty

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I don't mind the clinch cause I know it's supposed to do that
If you would preload the shifter, you will get smoother shifts with little or no "clinching.":D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts