Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an S&S intake and the swept pipes along with a map from the S&S intake all installed by the dealer.
When I am cruising along and want to down shift I crack the throttle real quick to get the RPM's up and about 50% of the time it just pops and dies. I don't leave it twisted long enough to see if it will catch but if I twist the throttle again it's fine. I also have the rumble on deceleration which seems to be normal. Should I have this "bog" when coasting then a quick twist?
I am a bit uncomfortable with the dealer and their ability to program my computer since they do not have a "sniffer" to monitor the air/fuel through out the complete range. Should I or can I get a Power Commander so I can see throttle position and map this a little better? What if I take it to a non-Victory dealer and they have a Dyno and the ability to correct the mixture, I will need a Power Commander then right?
I want to have more control and understanding of what my engine is doing with out relying on the dealer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
a power commander

The power commanders are great for Vic. This ? should really be answered by Kevinx he is a guru with vics in Fl.

cheers
Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see the Power Commander for Victory on their website, do they make one or is there only other manufacturers? I have contacted Lloydz with the same question because I know they have one. I don't know if the Lloydz is pot controlled or controlled via maps and laptop. anyone?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Lloyd has the VFC which is pot controlled he also sells the PC's for Victory bikes.

You might need a TPS adjustment. Start with the basics. How many miles on your scoot? Have you cleaned your throttle bodies? What are your RPM's at idle?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
With the mapping used in Vics. All that the dealer needs to be concerened with is mixture at 1000RPM. the maps are written to work best when that ratio is in the 13.1-.3 area. If that mixture is set properly the bike will run GREAT with the propper map. No need to install any controller on top of that. Remember that SIMPLE is good for a daily driver. Sure if you want to spend $300 on a controler, and another couple hundred on dyno tuning you MIGHT get a better peak number, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT it will actually run better. I set these bikes all the time with this type of mods, and the owners are happy as can be

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you adjust the TPS? There is about 280 miles on the bike and the RPM is around 700-800 at idle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"With the mapping used in Vics. All that the dealer needs to be concerened with is mixture at 1000RPM."

Is this a dealer only thing or can I do it?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You shouldn't have to clean the throttle bodies yet.

TPS is adjusted by the dealer.

I'm not sure of the year bike you have but your idle is a little low if I'm not mistaken. It should be about 1000rpm's. When my idle was that low I had the same problem as you.

If you have a pre 08 look under the left side of the tank. You will see a screw, that is the idle adjust.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
You shouldn't have to clean the throttle bodies yet.

TPS is adjusted by the dealer.

I'm not sure of the year bike you have but your idle is a little low if I'm not mistaken. It should be about 1000rpm's. When my idle was that low I had the same problem as you.

If you have a pre 08 look under the left side of the tank. You will see a screw, that is the idle adjust.

Sig says he has an 07, and you are right on about the idle. TPS is a dealer only adjustment. While I adjust it on all the S1 kits I install. Many dealers just throw a map at it, and send it down the road

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'll try bumping the idle up first. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW! I turned up the idle to 950-975 rpm and the bog went away, so did the backfire during decelerating. Who would have thunk it.

I turned my idle down because I like to hear the thump of each cyclinder but unlike my Suzuki Marauder 1600 the Victory doesn't do it.

Thanks Diamondrmp you saved me $250 or so.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
WOW! I turned up the idle to 950-975 rpm and the bog went away, so did the backfire during decelerating. Who would have thunk it.

I turned my idle down because I like to hear the thump of each cyclinder but unlike my Suzuki Marauder 1600 the Victory doesn't do it.

Thanks Diamondrmp you saved me $250 or so.
Just a side note here. Victories use a constant pressure oiling system, and do not like to be idled down. Below 900 RPM the bike does not lube, or cool properly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts