Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Driver backrest install question

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Chattanooga Mark 
#1 ·
For anyone who has added the driver backrest to your XC (or has one from new and could check, I suppose)...

When I installed the new bracket that replaces the standard grab loop/bracket I notice that the new backrest bracket is so wide that it sits on top of the large wire loom bundle running to the back of the fender. Tightening the bracket down compresses this wire bundle. This seems like a bad idea. But the wire bundle is fixed in place so it can't easily be moved out of the way.

Did you just leave things like this? Or did you not have this issue?

Thanks,
Rob

#4 ·
Bigblue,
I have victory backrest. It did compress the bundle. Not many wires in that loom, I checked while tightening, no ill effects. Just look in the loom, check it while tightening, and away you go!

#7 ·
As mentioned just compress the harness, after a year I pulled it off to run some new wires and you can see where it was on the plastic bundle but none of the wires show any sign of damage.

#8 ·
Driver Backrest

I cut some old foam pad and put between driver backrest bracket and wire loom. I also put a pad on other side of bracket on top of what looks like metal line. Does anyone know what those lines are for? I agree this looks like a poor bracket design. While on this topic, I have a rubbing noise coming from the rear wheel. I had the my dealer look at it and they said I had a loose tailpipe. Today with saddle bags off and cleaning under the rear fender I noticed a loose plastic piece under rear fender. My driver backrest had pushed all the way through the bracket and had pushed the plastic piece into the rear fender well. When my rear wheel was under full compression, bottomed out, the rear wheel had rubbed on the plastic piece that the driver backrest had pushed through. This plastic piece has a channel that holds the air line for the rear shock. When the driver backrest pushes through on the plastic piece and the rear tire rubs on the plastic piece it could rub a hole in the rear shock air line. I am going to show to dealer tomorrow. Do not push your driver backrest all the way down into the bracket. There are 4 slots to adjust the height of the backrest. If you push the backrest all the way to the seat cushion it will push the plastic piece into the rear wheel. I am also going to start a new thread to bring this issue to all CC and XCT owners. I'll call the new thread, " Unsafe Victory Drivers Backrest".

#9 ·
I added a washer or two under the Victory bracket to reduce the wire loom squish as much as possible. Easy and quick solution that costs only a couple of washers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.