Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and pulled the trigger on a new OEM driver backrest. first thing I noticed was that it moved me forward a couple of inches, I feel like it pushes me to the edge of my seat to the tank. I think it's because the backrest seems to stand straight up erect with no give except a slight movement in the pad.

Anyone else notice the loss of Room and not being able to lean back with the OEM backrest?

Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Try a search; there were a couple of people in here that had fixes. If I remember correctly one reversed the backrest post and the other put his in a vise and bent it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
what I found that works the best is to turn the post completely aorund, but even with that I find it still pushes me forward a bit. I have found it more comfy to ride with the drivers back rest off.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Try a search; there were a couple of people in here that had fixes. If I remember correctly one reversed the backrest post and the other put his in a vise and bent it.
+1

This is what I remember seeing too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Could anyone else provide feedback on the driver backrest? I need to know quickly because I am thinking of riding down to the Dragon next week and would need to order one quickly if it's worth it. Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you get a Victory one then get the one made for the Vision. It's the same but it does not have the bend in the support arm like the one for the Cross bikes.

I'd also suggest you look at the one from Utopia but the lead time on theirs may be a deal breaker for you.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Disassemble the backrest, turn the bar around with the bend facing the rear of the bike, and re-assemble the backrest. This is a very nice position that you can lean back against, or sit up slightly and not touch it if you so desire. Best of both worlds and it worked for me! 6', 200 lbs, 32 " inseam...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Disassemble the backrest, turn the bar around with the bend facing the rear of the bike, and re-assemble the backrest. This is a very nice position that you can lean back against, or sit up slightly and not touch it if you so desire. Best of both worlds and it worked for me! 6', 200 lbs, 32 " inseam...
Thanks for the excellent info. My measurements are almost identical to you and your description looks perfect.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I must have short arms, I can't hardly rest on it with leaning forward to grab the bars.
This is my biggest complaint of the bike. Even with the bar turned backwards and +2 bars.......I still have to lean forward. Guess I"m going to have to bite the bullet get some new bars +4, and new cables......will be my winter time project I guess.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you turn it around do the detents for setting the height still work or is always all the way down?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Good question...I've always run it all the way down and never checked. The detents do not work when it's turned around...so if you need the detents for height adjustment...you could heat it up and re-bend it or just try and cold bend it in a strong vise.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you get a Victory one then get the one made for the Vision. It's the same but it does not have the bend in the support arm like the one for the Cross bikes.

I'd also suggest you look at the one from Utopia but the lead time on theirs may be a deal breaker for you.
Bob, do you have any pics of the Vision backrest on a X bike? How is the position of the rest in relation to the seat and your back? Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bob, do you have any pics of the Vision backrest on a X bike? How is the position of the rest in relation to the seat and your back? Thanks.
No I wish I'd have taken some. I was at Honda East in Toledo and the parts guy was telling me about it. He had a XC just like mine with the vision back rest on it. We opened the XC one and he let me sit on his bike with both backrests installed. I'm big (6' 7" and 300 #'s) so the XC unit was out of the question but the vision was was adjustable enough to make it comfortable.

With all this said I check the parts on Vic's website and this year it looks like the XC and Vision both have the same part numbers and judging from the pic the bar looks straight. Makes me think they discontinued the one with the bend in it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not at all trying to be a smart ass, but you might consider returning it and get a Utopia. Might save some $$ too. It was threads like this that steered me to the Utopia in the first place.

Just a thought.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7030

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pullback Bars

This is my biggest complaint of the bike. Even with the bar turned backwards and +2 bars.......I still have to lean forward. Guess I"m going to have to bite the bullet get some new bars +4, and new cables......will be my winter time project I guess.
I just picked up my XC on Sat and I have the 2" pullback bars on order - now I wonder if it will be enough.:confused: Were those the Victory +2 bars you have on now? I know this is asking a little much when we don't know each other:crzy: but I measured my arms from armpit to finger tip and have 24". I was wondering if your arm length is about the same.
Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just picked up my XC on Sat and I have the 2" pullback bars on order - now I wonder if it will be enough.:confused: Were those the Victory +2 bars you have on now? I know this is asking a little much when we don't know each other:crzy: but I measured my arms from armpit to finger tip and have 24". I was wondering if your arm length is about the same.
Thanks
I'm short, but do have the 2" pull backs from SRVT. If I knew then what I know now, I would have ordered the "Police" bars. Didn't even know they were available to the public until this weekend. They are 2" back AND are slightly narrower which helps in tight turns and helps put you back a little more. The police cruiser uses them for better slow driving because they had the same complaints, and couldn't get to full lock turns without difficulty.

They are available in black or chrome, are much more modern in looks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For most people the post needs to be straight, not bent forward. You can either put the post in a vise and take a large crescent wrench & bend it straight or better yet put it in a press and flatten it. Any decent shop should have a press & do it for you for free or a nominal charge:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts