Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have a pic they could post of where and how they are attaching the drivers back rest? Any brand is okay, in fact I'd like to see several.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one? Come on'....I'm dying here.:frown
I got a divers back rest in last night and I am at a complete loss as to how and where to install this thing. I know, simple right?...nope not here.

How about a pic of the underside of your stock seat and/or where your grab straps attach.
thanks

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
It sticks in that hole in the seat, where the strap comes up. There's not much to see.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sticks in that hole in the seat, where the strap comes up. There's not much to see.

geez! I know that....I need to see where/what the backrest mount, mounts too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
geez! I know that....I need to see where/what the backrest mount, mounts too.
Sorry, I don't have a pic, but if memory serves me, there are two screws under the seat that hold the factory strap down. Remove those 2 screws, remove the strap completely, and mount the backrest mount using the same screws and holes.

At least that's how the Utopia went in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a pic, but if memory serves me, there are two screws under the seat that hold the factory strap down. Remove those 2 screws, remove the strap completely, and mount the backrest mount using the same screws and holes.

I have the grasshopper back rest, and that is exactly how mine mounted as well. Mounted bolted to those two bolts and then the backrest slides into the mount through the seat.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have the grasshopper back rest, and that is exactly how mine mounted as well. Mounted bolted to those two bolts and then the backrest slides into the mount through the seat.
Now we are getting somewhere......Are these two bolts "in" the seat pan or a bracket attached somewhere else?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere......Are these two bolts "in" the seat pan or a bracket attached somewhere else?
No, the two bolts attach the bracket to the bike itself, front part of the rear fender really. Nothing gets attached to the seat. It just sits over the bracket.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not mine, but here's a pic that shows you where it goes.

Attachments

·
Banned
471 Posts
1) take off side covers
2) remove two bolts that hold the seat with a 5mm hex
3) lift the seat off and feed the strap through the hole in the seat.
4) the strap is attached to a mounting bracket.
5) remove strap mounting bracket with a 13mm socket.
6) re-use the 13mm bolts to install the backrest mount.
7) tighten the bolts, but not all the way, you may have to adjust them a little.
8) test fit the seat.
9) install the backrest through the hole in the seat, make sure it is secure.
10) tighten the bolts, a little blue lock tight may be used.
11) reinstall the seat and replace the 5mm hex bolts on the left and right side.
12) reinstall the side covers
13) install the backrest.
14) hirer a mechanic to do the work on your bike.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I just took mine apart to see if I might have a backrest receptacle already installed from the previous owner....no such luck but I can now report that it mounts to the same 2 bolts where your factory passenger STRAP would be. If that strap is there, remove it and put the receptacle in the same holes - if it's missing the bolt locations will still be very obvious. All will be revealed once the seat is removed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not mine, but here's a pic that shows you where it goes.

Bingo! That's the OEM driver backrest mount mounted.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is what I needed to see....thank you.
Someone took the strap off and didn't replace the bolts. I see what is what now

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that the mounting is figured out I owe you all a review.

Its made by Cavalry Customs out of CA. I payed $140 from e-bay. I'm impressed with the solidness of this rest, it seems very well made, all the metal is excellently powder coated. The pad is well padded and shaped. Best part is the rest is height and cant adjustable, so I should be able to get it right where I want it.
I've never ridden with a back rest, I'll report back once I put a few miles on with it. Pics to of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172055742455?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info - so that's bolt-on-and-leave-on deal, not removable? I suppose you get the bracket through your seat slit by unbolting the sliding tabs? Nice alternative.
I went out to install it and ended up calling the company to make sure what I was seeing was correct.

There is a plate at the base end that has to be removed separating the hinge and base portions. Its then placed back through the seat and reconnected(neither hinge or base fits through the post hole). Then, with the saddle bags removed, the seat/post is placed back, then the base for the back rest is tightened down, from the side and under. Once that's done the seat can set in as usual and the pad portion placed on the back rest. Its kind of a pain in the ass, and will be a few extra steps when I have to remove the seat. But for the price and quality I'm not going to bitch too much.
Going out now to finish the job

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I went out to install it and ended up calling the company to make sure what I was seeing was correct.

There is a plate at the base end that has to be removed separating the hinge and base portions. Its then placed back through the seat and reconnected(neither hinge or base fits through the post hole). Then, with the saddle bags removed, the seat/post is placed back, then the base for the back rest is tightened down, from the side and under. Once that's done the seat can set in as usual and the pad portion placed on the back rest. Its kind of a pain in the ass, and will be a few extra steps when I have to remove the seat. But for the price and quality I'm not going to bitch too much.
Going out now to finish the job
HEY thats the one I got in the garage I want to get rid of!!!!! To wide for wife to be comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sending the rest back....As good as its built, the design is poor. Its WAY too much work to install and I still can't believe they actually except customers to work in a crack under the seat to install and worst of all remove the thing in the same way if the seat has to be taken off.
I could probably live with the install/remove bullshit, but every time I put pressure on the rest, the plate that holds the post together came loose. I fought the damn thing on and off three times and the plate would not hold, I tried thread locker and all that. Problem is the plate is a high stress point and they only have two small screws holding it together. Yea, I could drill it and add locking nuts and bolts....but I ain't gonna! Its crap and getting returned.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry to hear about your failed backrest. I was fortunate enough to get a factory backrest from a forum member a few years back on the cheap. I hope you find the option you are looking for and that is narrow enough for the missus!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts