Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the Victory drivers backrest will work on the solo seat? I assume it does because the catalog says it fits all Vegas models, but I can't quite tell how it mounts. Does it actually mount to the drivers seat? I'm looking at one on Ebay and want to make sure it will fit.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. I got another question for anyone who may be able to help. How hard is it to swap out the stock swing arm with a chrome one? I found a few on Ebay and think they would look nice, but don't want to get in over my head. Also, is there any place I can buy a shop service manual for the Vegas? Damn Ebay. ;)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
My 2007 8-Ball is set up with the Solo seat and the backrest fastens to the fender behind the seat. The unfortunate part is that with the particular passenger seat I got I can't use the backrest if the passenger seat is on the bike.

As for service manuals, I got mine here:

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/100226374-victory-vegas-eight-ball-kingpin-tour-2007

Take a look here, too:

http://www.repairmanual.com/category/victory-motorcycles/

I downloaded mine, printed it out, and setup it up in a nice binder for about $10.00.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys. Miles, is the one you downloaded the Polaris factory authorized manual? I already have an owners manual and that looks like all I can get on the polaris website.

So your back rest mount to the fender? Under the drivers seat I assume. I guess that would work. I just can't find any good mounting instructions and it's hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Yes, the backrest mounts to the fender under the rear of the driver's seat and has two bolts to hold it in place to the fender. You'll need to reach in between the rear tire and the underside of the fender to get the nuts and washers onto the bolts as the fender holes for the bolts are not threaded.

As it goes with the manual from tradebit, it appeared to be a genuine Victory authorized manual. And if it isn't, it's one helluva fake. And all I can say about the manual so far is that it's been great. I'm no Victory mechanic by trade so if there's a better manual out there I'd be interested in checking that one out, too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Miles. I'll have to see if the wife wants the back rest because it sounds pretty easy to mount. Also, I may have to invest in that manual. $10 is a lot better than $150. It won't cost me $140 to print it.

Now, anyone have input on the swing arm? I think I could do it, and the manual would help. Just don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If I put the passenger seat back on my bike I know I'm going to miss that backrest. An alternative might be this:

http://www.victoryonly.com/ACCESSORIES/kp_vegas_rack.htm

If nothing else, your wife would get a nice looking luggage rack and an optional back rest that she can use or not as she chooses. I'm considering this option for myself since I want to add a trunk to my bike.

The manual does seem to be a solid purchase but as far as replacing the swing arm, I got nothin'. Sorry.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I have the manuals in a PDF file. I am in the process of setting it up so I can send them to you. PM me your email addy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help Miles. This is the Victory backrest you have correct? Is it pretty adjustable or is it in a fixed position? She has the solo bike with the solo rack. So the one from that link won't work. She's not sure she wants a backrest or not, but she definitely wants to make sure it's adjustable. I wish I had a dealer here in town that I could go look at one. But the closest one in an hour away.

Thanks for the link Diamond. That is great. In looking through there, I'm sure I could probably handle swapping out the swing arm, but doing things I've never done before makes me nervous. I don't want to screw it up and end up costing a fortune to get it the way it should be.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The Victory driver's backrest I have is not adjustable. Once it's mounted to the fender, that's it. It's nice to have but I admit there have been times when I've thought about a taller backrest, particularly on longer rides and road trips, but this is the one I have for now and it works. I just don't have the money to upgrade to a Mustang or Corbin seat at the moment but when I do have the cash, that is probably the last upgrade I'm going to make to this bike.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I hear ya. I had no experience wrenching bikes and it can me intimidating BUT the swingarm is extremely easy to change out.

Remove the rear wheel the brake caliper will come free. Take off 1 nut and remove. The swingarm is off.

Reverse to install. The only issues will be if you can get to the swingarm nut easily and then once installed re aligning and getting the belt tension correct.

This is literally an hour job IF you don't have to remove the exhaust. If you have to remove the exhasut figure in 30 - 60 more minutes.

All torque specs and parts to lube are in the manual.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is good to hear Diamond. I'm really thinking about giving it a shot. There is a killer deal on new chrome swingarms on Ebay. You want to come up to Nebraska and help me install it? Can't hurt to ask. ;) Now I just have to find a good deal on chrome wheels too.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

If you already have a Corbin seat that accepts a removable backrest, then you should be fine with this model. What bike are you riding these days? I ask since you posed the question "is this applicable to any motorcycle".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts