Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been so flat out lately after my annual Bathurst pilgrimage as a volunteer official, performing flag marshal duties.
There was a special dinner held on the friday night and volunteers from my club, Gold Coast Muscle Car Assn. and the Datsun Z- car club who first invited us to help in marshalling, as well as the race drivers got an entry ticket for each day they helped or drove , So I got 4 tickets in the lucky draw...
After dinner the draw was about to happen.
I said to the Universe
"I wouldnt mind winning this"
She mustve been listening cos my name was drawn out!!!
WOOHOO!!!
My prize???
4 laps at speed DRIVING a V8 Supercar Race Experience Car around one of the worlds best road racing circuits, Mt Panorama!
Still had Sat and Sunday on track duty, then there was 2 days of Race Experience drives as well as passenger rides.
As Monday dawned wet and the cars have full locked spool diffs and slick racing tyres, any hopes of driving Monday faded and I hit the motor racing museum, then rode into town to find a cheap pub room for the night.
Woke at 5.45am next morning and after a coffee rode the XC back to the track.
My winning ticket had a letter fast tracking me past the long line of people who had paid $1200 to drive 4 laps.
I got race suited up and helmeted after a driver briefing by George Elliott.
Fitted in a car, taken out and put in another car, strapped in and off I go.
With a race driver coach in the passenger seat with all the mirrors set for him it was a bit unnerving with no rearward vision, and the communication thru the helmet comms was bad, tbe car died in the arse up mountain straight then again coming dow thru the Chase, a bit offputting, we pitted the electrical glitch fixed it was back out for the remianing 3 laps.
Here they are......

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pix from the trip, I rode the XC a fantastic distance bike, comfort and reliability second to none!
20191127_153130.jpg
20191129_075853.jpg
20191129_131206.jpg
20191129_152430.jpg
20191130_141611.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more?....of course!
20191129_131142.jpg
20191128_214235.jpg
20191202_093238.jpg
20191202_151309.jpg
20191203_135025.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I don't go to the races anymore. They have a drag strip here and a round track. The drag strip comes and goes, I guess they have a hard time making it pay for it's self. There is a private air strip here that use to run drags on Saturday evenings. You paid 5 dollars to get in. Then back your pickup truck up by the track with a cooler of beer, set on the tailgate and watch the races. They had cars and bikes, but what I really like to watch is the mini drag cars. Briggs and Stratton motors and kids 11 or 12 years old driving them. Some of those little drag cars would do 70 mph. But the guy that owned the air strip got busted for embezzlement and it all ended.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Thanks for taking me along Chris - what a ride! I was super jealous. Hoo Boy, you were nailing those apexes just right as you progressed. What a thrill that must have been.

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @RICZ , and I daresay another lap woulda seen my nerve build enough to crack over 200kph down Conrod Straight and hold speed into the Chase.
The abortion of a first lap didnt do much for me, but I shouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth, and beggars cant be choosers, a couple of sayings my dear ol mum had.
"what if?" is a game children play, but.........What if 1st lap had gone smooth as my 2nd 3rd 4th did?
With progression and learning the track and car, my confidence was building.....
Anyway the Universe gave me the chance and opportunity to do something way beyond my wildest dreams!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks @RICZ , and I daresay another lap woulda seen my nerve build enough to crack over 200kph down Conrod Straight and hold speed into the Chase.
The abortion of a first lap didnt do much for me, but I shouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth, and beggars cant be choosers, a couple of sayings my dear ol mum had.
"what if?" is a game children play, but.........What if 1st lap had gone smooth as my 2nd 3rd 4th did?
With progression and learning the track and car, my confidence was building.....
Anyway the Universe gave me the chance and opportunity to do something way beyond my wildest dreams!
[/QUOTE]

It's a wild track for a hot lap, great post with the video!
My last hot lap was 4am Easter Sunday morning, 1981, on my old 750 Norton. It was during one of the rare periods that it had a working speedo and it was showing 115 mph towards the end of Conrod Straight, after being held wide open down the mountain, no chicane then and a couple of dips where the fast riders would get airborne on the exits. Probably 10 mph slower in reality.
You had to pick your time carefully, get impatient and run it at midnight and you would end up with flashing blue lights on a Mini Cooper or Valiant Charger on your tail.
Public road race circuits; no end of fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts