Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to due some minor changes to my XC today.

Changed out the bar ends. Pics will follow another time. That was super easy. I pulled off the stock ones with my hands.

Then I was going to put on the shorty antenna that I got.

Unhooked the saddle bag latches and was having a bit of trouble unhooking the electrical connector for the MP3 hookup. Reached over to grab a small screwdriver which was just out of reach and....

BAM! Saddlebag felt to the concrete, disconnecting the connector in the process.

So now I have a bike that I just bought, that can't ride due to the weather, and it now has a scuffed up saddlebag all along the top lid edge and I think the connector is broken as well.

Not sure why I'm posting this........just to vent my frustration I suppose. :mad:

·
Registered
139 Posts
:( we feel your pain!

Hope it isn't too bad and can be touched up or repaired easily.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i had mine standing up on the ground first week i bought the bike, seemed stable so i turned my back, bang, right on some fresh asphalt, mine is on the backside of the lid, so its not so noticeable, but yes it sucks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's what touch up paint is for. Hate it when it happens but it can be fixed. When all else fails, throw a bunch of money at it and it will work itself out!

·
Registered
84 Posts
This should ease the pain a little. I had my bike about 6 months and was in the garage working on my wife's bike. I moved my bike up a few feet just so I wouldn't scratch it. Set the kickstand and walked away. I for some reason looked back and saw my bike literally falling in slow motion. It fell so hard that it sprung open the saddle bag! As I was standing my bike back up I didn't notice that the lid was caught under the other bikes front tire. SANP! I cracked the bag and put a 6" - 8" crack right down the front of the bag. Needless to say its still there. One day when I have a extra 600.00 I'll get it fixed. Moral of the story? Move your bike totally out of the way and make 100% the kickstand is down and locked in.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Whenever I start to do a "why me" thing, I turn on the evening news and I see many who have it many times worse. Tonight's headline; a 7 year old girl who survived a plane crash that killed everyone else in her family. Yet, dressed only in summer clothes, she walked through a mile of extremely dense woods, in freezing weather, to a house and refuge. I'll bet she'd gladly trade a damaged case to have her family back.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I know how you feel. History has taught me to cover everything. I gift a bunch of moving blankets real cheap at Harbour freight and made covers for tank, fenders and the bags. So when I take the bags off there is a blanket underneath so is i drop them, they won't get damaged. Then I put them in a 'blanket saddlebag bag' while I work on the bike.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Astra , contact Goody2667 on this forum . For minimal shipping , you could send him your bag lid and I will bet you for a very fair amount he will refinish your lid and send it back to you like new . He did work for me and I know he stocks your color . Tell Him I sent you . His work is ridiculously good , and he is a great guy , easy to do business with . cheers

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Not long after I got my '12 XCT, I had the bags off, resting more or less straight up on some carpet pieces in the garage. One tipped over when I was far away from it, and scratched and chipped the lid on the concrete. I ordered a replacement lid from some dealer on ebay; I believe it was a factory second, but it's pretty close to new looking (except in a few very tiny spots).

It was during that parts search that I discovered that if you have to replace the parts on a SINGLE bag -- hinge, lid, bottom -- because, say, a car hit you on one side, it was cheaper (or at least right around the same price) to a order a SET of new bags. When I was looking -- this was a couple years back -- a set of two was around $900+; I was tempted to just buy a set, and keep most of it in the basement, for future problems.

I haven't had the bags off since (I don't do my own tire changes, for instance).

·
13,262 Posts
If you just scratched up the clear a body shop might be able to buff it smooth

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
After I installed my bag fillers I got the bright idea of putting clear door edge molding on the edge that faced the fende. Not realizing I didn't have the quick connect completely locked I went for a ride. Nice right hand sweeper and my left bag was sliding across the asphalt. Can't ecide to repainted the bag or scuff the rest of the bike now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this kind of thing. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Years ago I had an '88 Electra-Glide 85th Anniversary Edition (#15 of 850), I also had a beautiful '68 Triumph Bonneville. The Glide was parked on the right hand side of the Bonnie and I was putting it up on the center stand. As I stepped on the center stand and pulled it up the pivot bolt on the center stand sheared on the right side and the whole shooting match just collapsed right into the Glide which padded the crash with its gas tank. I think I threw up a little when it happened.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Feel You!!!

Try it falling over in a trailer and scratching the SH*T out of your saddle bag lid with 4k miles on it AND your starter had gone out!! I wanted to DIE!!! All the scratches buffed out except the one that went down to composite. Here was my fix for that!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
That looks awsome Tkirby! Wanna improve it even more? Click the first link in my sig. (Shameless self promotion) And a high five to a fellow ex swabby.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
RicZ

If you ain't gonna promote your self, who is?? :ltr:
Send me your address and I will bill pay you out the money!! You'd sell more with PayPal. [email protected] Just charge 1.00 more or so if they use it!! I would have already bought from you grandpa!!

How much for the bracket too if I order with the plate kit?

Sub Sailors do it deeper by the way......

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Grandpa indeed! Yeah, I'm Old Navy. Served a spell on the USS Ticonderoga, CVA-14. The Big T took Kamikaze hits in WWII, a bit before my time on her in the 50s. Email coming your way.
You suggestion about PayPal is a good one. I will add that method of payment, thanks.
Ric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts