Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone*converted their Highball to twin frontdiscs?
Is it as simple as just swapping out the forks/calipers/rotors from a Cross Country or aHardball to keep the wire wheels?
Or is there a different/better way?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
You'd have to swap in a complete front end. the highball uses traditional forks where as the Cross bikes use inverted forks. Not very cheap. It is also worth noting the wire wheels on a highball don't have disc mounting points on both sides of the hubs. Some one on here may have a better explanation.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
This is the second time someone has asked to convert a Victory single front disc to a dual disc setup. Is this something a lot of people want to do? I know I would, and I know someday I'll own a Highball, love the motorcycle.

I have a connection that makes custom parts. He can CNC a right lower fork leg to convert to dual disc, it's not that hard...scan in both legs and with the CAD program move the caliper mount to the right leg, save the file, send take to machine.. Makes me want to talk to him and work out the details. If it would be profitable for him..ie..enough folks to buy the product I can talk him into it.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
This is the second time someone has asked to convert a Victory single front disc to a dual disc setup. Is this something a lot of people want to do? I know I would, and I know someday I'll own a Highball, love the motorcycle.

I have a connection that makes custom parts. He can CNC a right lower fork leg to convert to dual disc, it's not that hard...scan in both legs and with the CAD program move the caliper mount to the right leg, save the file, send take to machine.. Makes me want to talk to him and work out the details. If it would be profitable for him..ie..enough folks to buy the product I can talk him into it.
Id be interested to see a pricing on it vs TIG welding a couple of lugs onto a right fork leg

·
12,970 Posts
welding on cast aluminum is a bad idea. Hit one air bubble while welding and front fork tube is shot.

What you would want is a vision front forks they would be the same 43 mm as a vegas or highball. I'm thinking you would have to have the fork tubes shortened. Not that big a deal.
Then you would need dual disc master cylinder and brake lines. Along with fender and calipers.
For $1500 to $2000 you could have a dual disc front end.
I guessed on prices.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Id be interested to see a pricing on it vs TIG welding a couple of lugs onto a right fork leg
welding on cast aluminum is a bad idea. Hit one air bubble while welding and front fork tube is shot.

What you would want is a vision front forks they would be the same 43 mm as a vegas or highball. I'm thinking you would have to have the fork tubes shortened. Not that big a deal.
Then you would need dual disc master cylinder and brake lines. Along with fender and calipers.
For $1500 to $2000 you could have a dual disc front end.
I guessed on prices.
What are you looking to gain with a dual disc setup?
I'm on VJ with this, I'd never weld a lug on a fork leg. I don't care how good a welder you are (and I'm pretty decent, but I've been inspecting them for 35 years) there's just too much shear stress on the weld for me to trust it with my life. One inclusion and the weld is weak. As far as the cost of a new, I can almost bet if he has both in his hand it would be expensive but affordable. Master cylinder and brake lines are the easy part. If you have to have Vic parts there's a couple of motorcycles that have a dual disc setup.

vcc14....looking to gain stopping power

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
ok can the welding idea...other cheaper way is use two l/h lower legs and have the one on the right reversed..the caliper would sit ahead of the leg and the other original side behind but it'd work I think.
Brake line would need a splitter junction in it , no big deal.

vcc14 advantages well greater pad to rotor contact area (double)
greater heat dissipation under repeated heavy braking or long steep downhill runs.

Just one thing a couple of members here have suggested hauling on the brake lever harder and yes Im here to report that that does in fact stop the bike quicker than a half assed braking attempt, also now my back brakes working ok the application of both brakes does slow the bike down quite adequately...though under severe duress I reckon theyd fade quicker than twin disc setup

·
12,970 Posts
VCC14
you even own a bike.
If a single disc brake stop the same as a dual disc why do sport bikes waist the money with dual disc.
Guess you think linked brakes and ABS brakes are worthless

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
VCC14
you even own a bike.
If a single disc brake stop the same as a dual disc why do sport bikes waist the money with dual disc.
Guess you think linked brakes and ABS brakes are worthless
Yes, I own two bikes. Do you know how to use proper grammar? Dual discs are there to reduce brake fade. Sport bikes are for racing, which involves a lot of braking over and over at high speeds. That's why they're on there. I don't need a bike with linked brakes, but I do like abs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think youll need forks and triple trees and front brake everything from a Hammer S to swap it into your highball.

Honestly it would be cheaper/less trouble to just paint a hammer S and put apes on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking for the looks of a dual disc, or more stopping power? It may be a lot easier to upgrade the caliper to a brembo, possibly even get one with more pistons.

·
12,970 Posts
Looking for the looks of a dual disc, or more stopping power? It may be a lot easier to upgrade the caliper to a brembo, possibly even get one with more pistons.
I do believe we all read have Brembo brakes

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Victory dont make a seal kit for the rear caliper in thier infinite wisdom.
I found Brembo seals go straight in.
As someone said on another thread on the same topic, ya just gotta pull harder on that front brake and use the rear in conjunction with it and a Vic will pull up as quick as a ZX10.
Some riders n long downhill sections ride thier brakes all the way.
I smell thiet pads burning and see the brakelights.
I just use the brakes when I get to the bottom or if I really do need to wash off speed for a tighter bend.
Every time I go on group rides I see massive overuse of brakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts